FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clearest prose in the English language

Author Topic: Clearest prose in the English language
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly believe you can become a better writer through osmosis. My writing style is a little, well, suspect. I want to write in a clear and direct style. One that is easy to read.

Which authors would you recommend? OK, I know there's Hemingway, but I just can't get into his stuff. My friend suggested Stephen King; I do enjoy his books, but his style is a little too casual for my taste.

Any suggestions? I'm especially interested in Sci-Fi writers. However I'm completely open to suggestions.

P.S. I was going to ask Dan this question, but if he is indeed the finder of lost things as he claims, he should find this thread. [Razz]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest Bradbury and Heinlein... two completely different styles, but both tops in their field.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Clancy spins a good yarn.

[ August 30, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearest? I'm gonna say C.S. Lewis. Everyone knows Narnia, but try Till We Have Faces or Perelandra and see what it does for you...

I, personally, think Roger Zelazny is always a good author to study. He wasn't the *best* at any particular aspect of writing, but he always, to me, seemed to have the most complete package. Some of his later stuff (mid 90's) was a little "pay-the-bills" fluffy... but overall, a master craftsman.

edit to make my prose clearer [Smile]

[ August 30, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "clear"? Do you mean transparent, or do you mean incisive? Or do you mean something else?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ursula K. LeGuin is one of the best writers in the English language now. Her prose is so straightfoward and clear. Her words are transparent so that the whole universe shines through them. Her books are composed of words, like anyone else's, yet it's the things she says without words that really matter.

Uncle Orson is another one. Particularly in Ender and Speaker, Treason and Songmaster, and in the story Pageant Wagon from Folk of the Fringe. Those are my favorite of all his works. I don't know why I can't seem to connect with his more recent stuff. Maybe he's gotten too satisfied, or something. Maybe he's lost his awe.

Nevil Shute is another writer that can say everything. Round the Bend, Trustee from the Toolroom, The Legacy (also published as A Town Like Alice), and No Highway are my most beloved of his novels.

Mark Salzman is a relatively new writer who is also a favorite. The Laughing Sutra, and Iron and Silk are both lovely.

My voice is infused with all of these voices. Not in imitation but simply because they taught me to speak.

[ August 30, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
TAK, although I love C.S. Lewis, I don't know that I'd say he wrote the clearest prose. Of course, when I think of "clear prose" I think of straightforward, face-value prose. I don't know how Beren defines it.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
All of these authors rock! They all command the english language with precision. I second them all.

But the clearest prose can often be the most dry (not that anyone listed here was, or is). Pick someone who entertains you.

My favorite manipulation of the reader was in The Wild Shore By Kim Stanley Robinson. It has clever parallels with Mark Twain, also whom I highly (very highly) reccommend.

Glad you want to write! [Cool]

Edit: and don't feel bad, I can't even seem to spell parallel!

[ August 30, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks for the response folks, I knew this was the right place to ask the question! [Smile]

quote:
What do you mean by "clear"?
See how unclear my writing is! By clear I mean a style that is straightforward, incisive, and easy to read, but not monotonous or boring.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Orwell is the first who comes to my mind if you want someone who's plain spoken and doesn't go for a lot fancy-shmancy verbiage. Animal Farm and 1984 are his most well known books, of course, but if you're more interested in good writing than a gripping plot, you should check out his essays and autobiographical stuff like Down and Out in London and Paris. Since you're interested in writing, I highly recommend his essays "Why I Write" and "Politics and the English Language."

On the other end of the spectrum, Nabokov's a great choice if you're looking for precision. Technically impressive as he is, though, chances are you wouldn't want to emulate his style, even if you could. [Edited to add]He is not easy to read[/edit]. But he can still be a lot of fun. Great for improving your word power.

Depending on what you disliked about Hemingway, you might also want to check out Steinbeck. His writing has a nice balance of economy, clarity, and lyrical flair.

[ August 30, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Mm, how about Bernard Malamud?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I second TaKid's recommendation of Zelazny, for similar reasons. He does have a remarkably balanced writers toolkit: gripping plots, believable characters, incredible imagery, pacing etc. And he knows when to use each one, and not to overuse them.

Steinbeck is one of my favorites.

Neal Stephenson is the best new writer I've found in recent years.Some thoughts on him in this book thread.

For clean,economical yet effective narrative styles, I'm envious of Fred Saberhagen. Try The Empire of the East trilogy (Larry Niven liked it better than LotR), the follow-up Book of Swords and Book of Lost Swords series, or any of his Dracula books, starting with the Dracula Tapes. He is also well known for his Berserker series but I've only read one of those. Fred's style is often straightforward and very readable,yet not simple. He gets the most he can out of dialogue and descriptions, and every little detail fleshs out character and plot in a way that I admire. Zelazny in his foreward to Empire of the East wrote that Fred's writing "hangs together" and is "seamless." I agree.

If I could write like any author it would be Gene Wolfe. His style is hardly straightforward, though. He has been my favorite writer for years. In his short stories he often experiments with different writing styles, changing styles as effortlessly as lesser writers change fonts. His later series novels are what captured my complete admiration, starting with the Book of the New Sun and ending with the Book of the Short Sun.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I recomend Dean Koontz. His style is elegent and poetic, while keeping it modern as well. He's also extremely to read, everything seems to just flow together. His analogies are amazingly realistic; he can make you feel the elegence in something as simple as flipping a coin (From the Corner of His Eye) or the beauty of the night (Fear Nothing/Sieze the Night). I don't know if he'd be in the Science Fiction section of a library, though. He writes mostly paranormal fiction. It's still amazing. I recomend the three books here, as well as Dark Rivers of the Heart, Lightning (a must), and One Door Away From Heaven.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The various short stories of Roald Dahl.

Anything by O. Henry.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

**breaks out his note pad and scribbles furiously**

Woohooo! Borders HERE I COME! [Big Grin]

quote:
Larry Niven liked it better than LotR
Wow, that's high praise... I am extremely intrigued. [Smile]
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Larry Niven liked it better than LotR
Wow, that's high praise... I am extremely intrigued
Mmmmm...nevermind. Disregard everything I said above.

( [Razz] )

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tad Williams has an amazing writing style, but I think this may be due to his vocabulary more then style. His turns of phrase are very elegant.

David Eddings is very clear. Very clean and easy to read. Not as elegant as some of the other authors listed, but I think crisper and cleaner. Straightforward, if you will.

Outside the realm of fantasy/sci-fi, try barbara tuchman. Very clear, and you'll learn something too!

John Grisham, as much as I hate to recommend him, has a very gripping, compelling, clear, easy to read, style of writing.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
For careful word choice, I suggest G. K. Chesterton, Bill Bryson, A. A. Milne (his books of articles and columns are available at Project Gutenberg for free), and Terry Pratchett.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I would add C.Bridges to that list. For example of his concise communication style, he used just one word--FREE--to capture 100% of my attention. [Smile]

Deirdre ~ I take my LOTR very seriously [Taunt]

I'm surprised Grisham and Koontz didn't make the list earlier. Gadzillions of readers can't be wrong right?

P.S. I can't believe I used one of the new graemlins. I feel so dirty.....

[ August 31, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gadzillions of readers can't be wrong right?
Now that depends on their intelligence level. If "gadzillions" of readers thought OSC was a bad writer they'd be quite wrong now wouldn't they?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I don't know Julie. Ender's Game was voted number 32 on Amazon.com's Top 100 Books of the Millennium

Number one was Lord of the Rings. Needless to say, I was quite happy with both selections.
Sometimes the dirty unwashed masses do get it right. [Smile]

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
One Hundred Years of Solitude should be higher. Especially when compared to some of the books above it.

Also, I'm glad to see Lonesome Dove made the top 50.

[ August 31, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
For clear prose, children's books are mostly really good. E.B. White and Laura Ingalls Wilder and E. Nesbit. That lot. I was raised on these people. Or Edward Eager.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
T.A.K.~
I absolutely loved Till We have Faces ! I was ready to call it quits when I read part of his book The Screwtape Letters , but TWhF brought me back to Lewis. Not sure about it as prose though.

Random Fact: I pulled my name for my Medieval Re-enactment from TWhF. I've used Istra for some amount of years now. [Wink]

[ August 31, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: BelladonnaOrchid ]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure about it as prose though.
I think what strikes me is the number of really abstract concepts he makes perfectly clear. Perhaps I should call his prose "illuminating"? but I'd go with Chesterton for that... I think Lewis's writing is rather plain, but communicates a lot of meaning, which is why I chose him.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Mark Twain was very judicious with his word choice.

And in relation to that comment, never read anything by James Fenimore Cooper for clear prose.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu13, I agree with you about Sam's prose, but in his own time, they sure would have disputed that! :ironic smilie:
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Fugu, couldn't do much better than old Samuel Langhorne Clemmons... aka Mark Twain.

The fact that he never went to high school and filled his head with silly rules probably served him quite well... hehe

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, there is one clear answer for me, if you are looking for clean, precise prose. That would be E.B. White. Read "Charlotte's Web," "Stuart Little," or "The Trumpet of the Swan."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oddly enough, Mark Twain did fill his head with silly rules-- he was an expert grammarian.

The Cooper reference is because MT once wrote an essay which ripped Cooper a new one for ineffective, inefficient, and incorrect use of language.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.