FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » can't... sleep.... must... stop... working!

Author Topic: can't... sleep.... must... stop... working!
Member # 4107

- posted      Profile for 2   Email 2         Edit/Delete Post 
Oye, I cannot sleep! I had to work at two jobs earlier, thus earning for myself the title of Labor Day. Thirteen hours all at once. However, I start a new job in just under seven hours (because everybody needs three jobs, eh?) and cannot get to sleep! This is going to be a very interesting day. I get to work at this new place, and then go to work until 1AM at the old place. Plus, I shall be giving my two weeks' notice there (because I was kidding when I said that everybody needs three jobs), and will instantly stop caring about doing a good job, especially when ALL I WANT TO DO IS SLEEP!

I hate to make anybody feel my pain, but please please PLEASE somebody tell me that you know, preferably from experience, that I will make it through this without actually setting my brain on fire....

Now, that said, I shall take The Fifth Head of Cerberus to bed and see if we can reach a settlement.

Thank you for your support.

[ September 02, 2003, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: 2 ]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Your head will not explode.

Just rest when you can, it will be okay...

Hopefully this won't last more than the two weeks?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very good book. How many times have you read it?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! How do you manage to do all that and be the executive officer of The Village as well?

Be seeing you... 6<--any way you can think of to make this smiley more "be-seeing-you-like"?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

Mmm, mayhaps were I more awake I would recall being any sort of executive officer at all.

I am on my first reading of Cerberus, actually. As with just about anything by Gene Wolfe, I am floored by his amazing use of language -- so much so that I find myself reading and rereading every paragraph, drooling over it all like so much candy. As a result, I am only on page thirty or so. Science Fiction as a genre should be proud of him.

Anyway, I am between jobs (in a positive way), and am very dizzy. It should be a fine night. [ROFL]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I need to fall asleep, I sit down to watch a movie that I'm really interested in and never fails - I'm gone before I can see the ending.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 

Fifth Head is tied for being my favorite Gene Wolfe book, the other being Peace. It is an astonishingly beautiful (though dark) and tricky book. Let me know if, by the end of your first reading, you think you have it figured out, because I will be seriously impressed. After my third reading and a whole lot of discussion on the Urth list I still think there's a lot of ambiguity.

But that's part of the reason I love it.

[ September 02, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

saxon,

i shall let you know, but i seriously doubt i will have it cinched. everything so far seems to be straightforward, but i can tell that it is going to get dense.

my favorite is The Book of the New Sun, and i am far from fully understanding it.

peace holds quite a special place for me. even though there is more to that than i get after the once, the tone was a joy to possess whilst reading. i do not think i am making sense. i still have not slept, and i only just remembered what this thread started out as... mm, no work until 1PM, however there is the doctor appointment in the morning...

good night, all.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! [The Wave]
More Wolfe fans. My favorite is probably Claw of the Conciliator, book 2 of the Book of the New Sun.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.