FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Corporate Logo Awards

Author Topic: Best Corporate Logo Awards
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Coca-Cola's logo is an internationally recognized symbol. Nike has their swoosh.

Designing a logo is a tricky business. It's hard to satisfy the customer, if you're the designer. I never have been able to convince my husband to use the logos I've come up with for him, even those made by Primal Curve. If our Photoshop master can't come up with a logo to make my husband happy, then he's just too difficult to work with.

So, this thread is to recognize logos, good and bad. Or, if you're creative, make your own for an existing business whose logo doesn't cut it, or for a company you've just made up.

My first entry:

I nominate This logo for Most Appropriate for the Type of Business award. Whoever created it really got the point. *ahem*

[ September 03, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
What a terrible idea. [Big Grin]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

That company is located here in Bham, and they are selling these things like hotcakes.

I first heard about it when I saw a display up at the shop where I buy my kids dancewear and shoes. I just had to look it up on the internet, and yep - there they were. Gives new meaning to the phrase "nip it in the bud"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Why exactly would you want them concealed?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was "Hey - I should send this to [aquaintance]."

My second thought: "Huh. Yeah - maybe that wouldn't be a good idea."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
That product is kinda funny. Especially since not too long ago I was listening to the radio and they were talking about how many people buy inserts or even implants to make their nipples more noticeable. I guess there are two distinct opinions on this issue. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of the little guy from Armadillo Aerospace. Is he cool or what?!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*stares at logo*

I'm sorry, were we talking about something?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.

A few years ago, the company I was working for decided to re-design their logo, letterhead, change the name, and so on. The name change was from ClientLogic to ClientLogic Information Technology. You figure out their preferred acronym. They printed letterhead, made e-mail banners, logos, the whole works using that acronym. They almost started using it until someone pointed out their, uh, mistake. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I can't believe no one caught that before having everything printed...
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. They didn't even think about it until they sent it down to my boss and his bosses (who were women!). You've never seen such hysterical laughter. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I can't even imagine.

Is this a bragging thread? I made a logo this summer that's getting used all over the country, and I'm ridiculously proud of it. No way to link to it, though.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I love the armadillo!

Kat, that's not fair. [Frown] We need to be able to see it!

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!!! Heh...

(Scenes from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back fly through head)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
mack should like this one:

National League of Cities

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem of the advent of desktop publishing is that now that everyone can make their own logos, they mistakenly assume they should.

I cringe everytime the delivery van for Davis Business Machines tools by with its logo painted in fluorescent pink on a grey van.

I'm a fan of minimalism; call me trendy, but I have always been. I think the most successful logo I've ever seen was a giant 3-D Pepsi logo sphere on top of the Mexico City airport. It didn't need anything more than that continuous wavy stripe to make thousands of international travelers instantly twitch for caffeine.

I designed a logo for a friend's record business, Roadkill Records, that I'm quite fond of. It looks even better with a gradated blue sphere behind it and a funky no-caps futura font on the letterhead. </shameless self-promotion>

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I made this one this summer quickly, and its an inside joke between me and my boss. I could make it any colors, so these are for Gryffindor. [Smile]

Annie, I agree. I like simple the best. I like your animal very much.

Where are ladyday and Nndra? They do this kind of thing for blingbling.

[ September 04, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my closest friends is named Anna. She has a boo-tay that won't quit. My first name is Toni and, erm, the rack thing isn't just a Hatrack meme.

We decided that if we ever went into business together it would be a moral imperative to call ourselves T & A Inc. We could blink innocuously and pretend we had no clue what people were talking about.

Also, nobody would forget who was "T" and who was "A". [Big Grin]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, re. the "Nippits":
quote:
That company is located here in Bham, and they are selling these things like hotcakes.
That's funny. Until Nippits came out, we were using hotcakes.

Coincidence?

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
quote:

..."if our Photoshop master can't come up with"...
Umm, I don't believe that Hatrack ever had a battle for the title of its Photoshop Master.

If he cannot beat me, how does he get to the title?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Subliminal Messages...?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor - he beats you. It's whether or not he beats Sandy that's the question. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
- Ralphie -

How on Earth do you figure he beats me?

I do believe a competition is called for.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should tell the Nippits people that something like this already exists. They're called bras.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien, you are a dead man.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<looks at Belle>

Speaking of logos....

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien, you damn near caused me to have a heart attack at age 21. Curse you! [Razz]
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Primal Curve, my dearest - we have put all web projects on hold, this basement project and the situation with my parents, it's just awful.

Thor, we've had many photoshop challenges, and I don't remember any entries from you. So, I didn't intentionally exclude you, I had no idea of your photoshop prowess.

PSI - the reason these things are sold primarily in dance shops is very telling - there are few dance costumes that can be worn with a bra without straps showing. I will say, that the new bras with the "invisible" straps (i.e., clear plastic) are really cool inventions. But for cases when a bra just won't work, like with a very fine fabric that would show the outline of the bra, these things would be very useful.

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Yeah, so my boobs may hang to my waist, but my nipples won't stick out! Cool. I'll stick with the bra and not wear dancing costumes that let it show.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Dead Horse, believe me - you won't catch me either in one of those costumes or without a bra.

Having four kids wreaks havoc on certain parts of your body. [Blushing]

unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nipplets made me instantly think of Neuticles [Evil]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I should learn not to click on links around here... these things end up in my browser's history, people, and I have enough strange glances from my roomates!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor - Because you got Photoshop all of two minutes ago, and Glynn's been doing it for years. And he's really, really good.

I like your bravura, Sparky, but sometimes you just don't win. Even with grand promises for contests and aggressive posturing.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Tony.
Don't forget.
think
I've had photoshop the SEVEN
for 11 minutes,
but I've been drawing since
the day,
and from what I understand,
Glynn ain't been to the dAY
yet, don't know if he
ever will be...
contest,
YES
I'll win races...
glynn beats me at illustrator..
not pfoto shop.
TRUST ME.
Me pixels,
take him down,
none hold the pen
strong
as
I
do.

<<<T>>>

Toni
Member # 5620

Well, now I'm totally convinced.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
S'not the paper drawing skills that makes the Photoshop l33t. It's the "I know how to use Photoshop" that makes them Photoshop l33t.

Glynn's good. I know a few people who are good... And he'd be almost as good as the best people I know (all of whom are full-time professional designers).

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm...snot.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
ewww...mmmm...means I'm not the only one who thinks snot is good? Especially mixed with tears. Da*n PTSD! [Monkeys]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Where can I get a long look at the all powerful photoshop mastery that Primal Curve has displayed?

I'll I've seen is his OSC photoshops - where he takes his head and pastes them onto bodies (this was very unimpressive to me) and some of his web sight design for a friend, (I thought it was excellent, but it looked like it had all been created in illustrator).

So where can I get a good look at what he's done that makes y'all all bown down?

<T>

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking about basic "skillz," seventeen of the photos on my website have been edited in fairly major ways. I'm not just talking about minor stuff -- like getting rid of blemishes and flushed cheeks and lens smudge -- but actual recomposition, like the removal of water and cell towers, movement of individuals within the scene, and overlay of heads from one image with the body of another image (not too dishonestly, but only to combine one "good" shot from an event with another "good" shot in a way that eliminates the bad elements of both).

I'll give ten bucks to anyone -- Christy exempted -- who can find all seventeen major edits. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

Thor - Glynn repaired a photo of Dan and I that had gotten ruined in a frame. While it may not seem impressive to you, if you notice how much detail is in Dan's suit, my hair, the shading in my flesh, etc... the fact that he was able to repair it nearly seamlessly is a pretty smooth feat.

The original, damaged photo.

The photo, after Glynn's ministrations.

If you can't see that as impressive, then you're not looking with your eyes. It may not be "art" to you, but he knows him some Photoshop.

edit: If you click on the photos, they will enlarge and you can see them in better detail.

[ September 08, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Toni ]

katharina
Member # 827

Glynn's got mad Photoshop skillz. *uncomfortably tries on slang suit*

Sorry Thor, results is what counts here.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Doncha know life's RUFF without neuticles, neuticles!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I could go for a photoshop contest.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Wow, this old thread inflates the ego.

<puffs up>

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Nipping the its sounds like too much pain for just a smoother shirtline.
And I don' eeeven wanna look at the instructions link.

[ January 27, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just need to have my heart re-started, and then I'll be free to KILL DAMIEN.

as a side note, this is like the third thread I've read this week that I didn't realize was old until about 3/4 of the way through. When I start wondering why Ralphie's posting so much...

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This is kinda odd, since I just got back from dinner with I3, where among other things we had a discussion about visible nipples.

[ January 27, 2005, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're at it, people are welcome to go through the photo album on my site and guess which photos have been manipulated in sometimes very, very major ways. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
My lord. Damien's link got me in 2003 when he posted it, and agin just now.

*breathes*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.