FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hollywood is doing it again

Author Topic: Hollywood is doing it again
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this misinterpretation of a classic of Sci Fi literature and wanted to scream.

They are taking one of the most elegant Time Travel stories, the birth mother of a whole genre of Time Travel Theory, and turning it into Jurassic Park Wannabe.

I haven't seen as big a rape of a classic since I heard about Jackie Chan playing Pasportu (can't spell that name) in Around The World in 80 Days.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about this story recently, but couldn't remember who wrote it.

It sounds like the movie is only very, very loosely based on the story.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So the guy changes the story because he is opposed to hunting, but when character returns to the present humans are hunted? Wouldn't it make more sense if he came back to the present and super intelligent lizards were taking genetic samples of the poor humans?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Groenig seemed to have done this version better with Time and Punishment.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
That does not follow the PC being displayed here.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
>_< That stinks! Even if Ray Bradbury said it's OK, it doesn't sound like the aim of the original classic story...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
(Edit to note that this was in response to M, not Ryu)

No, but it does follow the goofy, clouding-the-issue, lets-keep-going-back-and-stepping-on-more-bugs-till-we-fix-it addendum to what is, as was pointed out, a beautifully elegant plotline and one of my all-time favorite short stories.

The Simpsons, however, had the advantage of being a parody. I don't know what you call it when you take someone's work and twist it out of all recognition... not a tribute, surely?

The really odd thing, to me, is that Bradbury has apparently personally approved all these changes. It reminds of the "Free Hat" episode of South Park where the kids are trying to save great movies from revision by their own directors.

For those that missed it, it opens with a trailer for the new, digitally remastered "ET", where all the guns have been repaced with walkie-talkies... followed by a trailer for the new, digitally remastered "Saving Private Ryan", where all the guns have been replaced by walkie-talkies.

I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time.

[ September 03, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
The recent things I've seen Bradbury write leads me to believe that he has lost touch with story telling. In fact, as much as I like a lot of Bradbury's stuff, the author himself kind of irritates me.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That episode of South Park was one of the few episodes I considered funny.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that when RB wrote the story, big-game hunting and safaris were a romantic, manly thing to do (think Hemmingway), and generally not frowned on. They are pretty much illegal, now, for good reason. The nacent science of genetic engineering could easily be made much much scarier, with greater impact on more people and the future, than a single man with a big gun.

If RB is involved and approves, so be it, then. I have had the pleasure of being introduced twice to Mr. Bradbury in the last few years, and he has physical troubles, but seems to be all there mentally.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci fi is the devil. And not either of these cool guys, either: [Evil] [Evil Laugh]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, on the one hand, this is the director responsible for Time Cop.

On the other hand, this movie will have Ben Kingsley.

On the third hand, Bradbury is getting pretty old . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a nifty little premise for a film. BUT - if you are going to film a story, film the story, for Pete's sake. Don't make it unrecognizable.

As far as Ray Bradbury putting his okay on it - well, I'm skeptical, but if that is true, I guess I can't get too angry about it. It's his story, after all.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the problem lies in taking a short story with one main kicker and turning it into a two hour movie. There is no way whatsoever to pad the story out to two hours and not make significant changes and additions to the original. That doesn't mean I think it should be done, necessarily...

There's also the problem that the kicker just isn't as much of a shock anymore, largely because of the popularity of this story and its imitators over the years. Now everyone "knows" the dangers of changing things in time travel so as soon as the hunter is warned not to, the audience immediately knows what's going to happen. Just showing a scene of the different world and finding the butterfly won't be enough.

This would be much better as a short, or as a Twilight Zone episode than as a feature film.

[ September 04, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, as Orson says, the movie does not negate the book. It will still be there in its original form for all to enjoy. On the other hand, why draw the relationship at all between the book and the movie if the relationship is barely there? On the gripping hand, I wonder how many of you are widely read enough to catch this oblique SF reference...
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Niven/Pournelle title? Didn't think it was that oblique...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the gripping hand. . .
You damn Motie! I'm going to quarantine you in your own system so you can bomb yourself back into the Stone Age -- again.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the director (would you be proud of Timecop and 2010???) as an avid anti-hunter missed the chance to make a movie against hunting just by simply NOT changing the story at all. What a putz. But he wants to make this his story. Schmuck.

And yes, Jacarre, tis a nice reference to Mr. Niven and friends.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

- posted      Profile for 2   Email 2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hyams (Timecop, 2010) said that the script, by Clement Enlatarne, takes off from Bradbury's story, about a big-game hunter who goes back in time to hunt a dinosaur and inadvertently changes the future. Hyams, who is no fan of hunting, has changed the character (played by Edward Burns) into a genetic researcher who is going back in time to take DNA readings in an effort to reconstitute wildlife that has vanished from the Earth in the future.
Hyams (Timecop, 2010) said that the script, by Clement Enlatarne, takes off from Adams's story, about a naive and innocent Englishman who is forced into a life of space travel when the Earth is destroyed for a hyperspace bypass. Hyams, who is no fan of space-travel, has changed the character into an Englishman who is forced into homlessness when his house is destroyed to make space for a new bypass.

Hyams (Timecop, 2010) said that the script, by Clement Enlatarne, takes off from Card's story, about a boy sent to an outer-space "Battle School" to learn to fight an alien race commonly referred to as "buggers." Hyams, who is no fan of buggering, has changed the character (played by Jake Lloyd) into a boy who is sent to the school to learn to fight bullies, as well as his older brother Peter (played by Vin Diesel).

And so on.

[ September 04, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: 2 ]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That Ender remake is terrible, low, and revolting.

Here is my $10. Can I watch it now? Any nudity?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Re. the Simsons episode:

quote:
"I'm the first non-Brazilian person to travel back in time!" -Homer
This isn't a reference to Pastwatch, is it?

--Steve (getting old, and losing his short, middle, and long-term memory)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.