FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » help me figure out the name of this philosopher!

Author Topic: help me figure out the name of this philosopher!
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not for class work, just started thinking about the ideas and am being driven nuts by not having a name to put to them. He had this depressing idea that everyone was controlled by their desires and the only way to escape this control was in aesthetics or by living a life completely denying all pleasure except aesthetic pleasures. Ideas? anyone?
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Apostrophes?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*thwap*

I remember learning 'bout this. It could be Plato, but I'm not sure it's platonic. Crap.

I KNOW it's a greek philosopher.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

No, it isn't we covered the greeks really early, and I can remember all their names. It was someone we covered around the time we covered Heidegger, Kant and Kierkegaard. And it was someone who believed in God.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Aristotle. And it would've started with the ancient greeks and later philosophers went from there. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Schopenhauer?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that is a theme that is fairly constant throughout a lot of philosophers (Eastern and Western) over a lot of ages, so its hard to say for sure who you're thinking of. But if I had to guess...

Is it possible you're thinking of Spinoza?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

Zal, YES, thank you! that's it! *hugs*

and thanks, to all of yall for helping me in my crazy quest for a name [Big Grin]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Not an exact fit, but seems to be in the right direction:

quote:
Schopenhauer's violence-filled vision of the daily world leads him on a quest for tranquillity, and he pursues this end by retracing the path through which the will is objectified. Schopenhauer discovers more peaceful states of mind by directing his everyday, practically-oriented consciousness towards more extraordinary, universal and less-individuated states of mind, since he believes that the violence that a person experiences, is proportional to the degree to which that person's consciousness is individuated and objectifying. He believes that with less individuation and objectification, there is less conflict, less pain and more peace.
One way to achieve a more tranquil state of consciousness, according to Schopenhauer, is through aesthetic perception. This is a special state of perceptual consciousness, where we apprehend some spatio-temporal object and discern through this object, the Platonic Idea that corresponds to the type of object in question. In this special form of perception, Schopenhauer maintains, we lose ourselves in the object, we forget about our individuality, and we become the clear mirror of the object. For example, through the aesthetic perception of an individual tree, we perceive shining through it, the archetype of all trees (i.e., the Ur-phenomenon, as Goethe would describe it).

Source: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

EDIT: Glad to be of help. I figured it was him.

----

Have to get a plug in here for my main man, the great Romanian poet Mihai Eminescu.

Schopenhauer's philosophies heavily influenced Eminescu. That influence is especially present in his epic poem Luceafarul (or Lucifer).

[ September 03, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

It was the name I was looking for, thanks!
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Freud.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dirt Man Dan.

It's this guy who lives in a box in an alley behind my building. I've heard him say something like that before, but at the time I thought he was just drunk.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of a Monty Python Song...
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who doesn't think jehovoid is the funniest person on the board is blind.

BLIND.

[ September 05, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.