FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hate it when people don't get my references.

Author Topic: I hate it when people don't get my references.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever said something in reference to something really popular, only to have it bomb because no one knew what you were talking about? I really hate it when that happens.

In a programming class, I made a reference to "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" and everyone just stared at me and asked me what I was talking about.

In an astronomy class, the Professor was talking about Gravity and said "It was the force that held the universe together" in which my reply was "It binds us and connects us" to someone sitting next to me. Of course, everyone turned around, looked at me like I was a psycho and one girl even managed to say "What?"

In a computer class today, the teacher said "The thing is, is we have the technology to make things, stronger, faster, and better." Of course, I said "And it will cost us 6 million dollars." She responded with a "It doesn't cost that much, I'm afraid. Where did you hear that?"

I hate it when those things go unnoticed.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
... You're just around a lot of nonresponsive people, Nate. Hang out with cooler people, that's my advice.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
At last I've found a kindred spirit! All those years of making references that no one understood. The shame, the scorn, introspection, long nights wondering "Is it me?". At last I have found a place I belong!
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 15 and I still get the last one [Big Grin]
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
StigLarsen should be on AIM.

And I don't mean maybe.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

I'm sorry, but Stig's not here at the moment. If you leave a message after the beep, he'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Beep.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

[Frown]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's really sad? AOL is using the 6 million dollar man theme as a gimic for how they've "upgraded" the newest version. AKA: they've made it even more resource hogging and more controlling of your time and money.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You have one message.
Thursday, 10:30a

"Hey, Stig? This is Ralphie. I haven't seen you on AIM recently, and when I did you logged off really fast. I hope everything is groovy wichoo. Hopefully we'll be able to chat soon. Okaythanksbye."

You have no more messages.

*beep*

StigLarson
Member # 5579

Hi Ralphie. I've been a bit busy recently planning world domination with my minions, the Stigettes. Our current scheme is to topple governments through the medium of ballroom dancing. This may take some time, so I estimate we'll be done by Sunday afternoon.
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I have this exact same problem. What's the cure?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
for those of us with this issue to form a society?

Alluders Anonymous?

Edit:
For a nice example of this, see the "Kiss Me?" thread, wherein I quote Pepe Le Pew and, apparently, give the impression that I wish to date rape Mackillian [Embarrassed]

[ September 04, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never guess anyone elses acronyms, and when I use them no one knows what I'm talking about. It took me a couple of months to figure out why people on Hat Rack were so interested in the Human Resources community. Also didn't know what AIM was for a couple more months, despite having been and AOL CL for a couple of years in the late 90's.

After I had my first baby, when I was in the hospital I could feel I was less lucid, and I told my husband "I guess this is why everyone thinks their mom is a dingbat. It really does happen the moment you have kids." Now I know it is due to chronic glucose drains associated with nursing...

[ September 04, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, just in case you need it, here is some help.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.