FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mortality

Author Topic: Mortality
Palooka_Joe
Member # 5618

- posted      Profile for Palooka_Joe   Email Palooka_Joe         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occured to you that you don't go on forever. It must have been shattering, stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on never dying. That moment hasn't come for me yet.

Please do not burst my bubble.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 5538

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you might be confusing him with Bazooka_Joe, Ralphie.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

You are on fire lately, Moose. At first, I was wondering how long till Mama Squirrel had that baby, but this one wasn't. . . well, you know. . .

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
See Landmark forum, 5000th post aka "1/5000: Ya I'm weird like that."

I think thats the one where I explain the first time I learned about death.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized death quite recently. Junoir year, I had a classmate die in a car crash. It stunned all of us, and we were all saddened by her loss.

At school, we took her old parking spot--she always parked in a teacher's spot, and regularly got into trouble about it--and turned it into a sort of shrine. We painted her name over it and had a vigil in front of it one day before class.

In the end, my friends and I decided to go to her funeral. We got there fairly early, but the funeral palor was already packed. The four of us got some seats and took turns going up to the casket.

When it was my turn, I solemly went up and said a prayer for her and her family.

Then, I opened my eyes.

She looked so... So... So... Lifelike, but... Not. All I could do was stare. I was dumbfolded.

She was lying in her casket, dressed in jeans and a shirt with the high school logo on it. Her hands were folded across her stomach, a delicate chain with a blue stone around her neck. She had a small teddy bear in to keep her company.

As I continued to stare, one of her friends came up, crying. She took off a pink ribbon that had been handed out at the vigil and placed it in the casket. She then turned away and left.

They also had permenant markers to write a message to her on her casket. I wrote a brief message "We miss you" and signed my name and went back to my seat.

It was rather astounding, the epifany I had. It was very scary, and made me put my life into a whole new perspective.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What epiphany did you have?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we knew about death as long as were able to talk it just gradually took awhile before we realized that death could happen to us.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the spiritual guidelines of the Benedictines is to keep death before you daily.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
It never occured to me at all. What does one make of that? We must be born with an intuition of mortality. Before we have words for it, before we know that there are words, out we come, bloodied and squalling with the knowlege that for all the compasses int he world, there's only one direction, and time it's only measure.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there's only one direction, and time it's only measure.
You need to watch the movie 'Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead'. It's all about that.

(Make sure you know the play 'Hamlet' very well before you watch it, because Rosencratz and Guildenstern see pieces of the play as they wander around, and it's kind of important to understand that.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Conspiracy of cartographers.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Deirdre would never watch Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are dead.

She hates plays like Hamlet.

Then again, I'm not sure about that.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepard
Member # 5613

- posted      Profile for Shepard   Email Shepard         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know when I thought of death, but I get scared just thinking about it. Or more like scared of the lack of thinking when you die. The nothing, but not knowing its nothing, and never even thinking again. I sometimes think I'd prefer a hell to just nothing, and only dimly aware that its nothing, if at all.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think death ever really sinks in. I mean, how many funerals do we have to go to before they stop being a shock? I don't think any of us really realize death in our everyday lives.

I do think the Mexicans have a jump start on us, though. I really love that their folk art is so centered around death. It's not morbid - it's celebrating life as something that doesn't stop when our bodies do. It's beautiful.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncertainty is the normal state. You're nobody special.

[ September 07, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That just makes my day.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She hates plays like Hamlet
But it's not about Hamlet, it's about Rosencratz and Guildenstern and it's really funny and sweet at the same time.

It's also about death and the fact that there is only one direction, and that is towards death.

EDIT: She's either seen it or Hamlet because she quoted from it.

[ September 06, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little I knew about death from pets dying, etc, but the finality of it, the reality of death, never sunk in until my dad died when I was five. I guess when one of our cats died it seemed more to me like the cat had just gone away, but wasn't really gone, you know? And when I found out my dad was dying, it still didn't completely sink in what was happening. Only after he passed away did I really realize that death was finite and once someone was gone, they couldn't come back.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I finish watching Tuck Everlasting, then come to Hatrack and see this thread.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi - Every post of Deirdre's so far has been a line from Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead, including the one that directly preceeded your recommendation.

^_^

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows that Death is a cute, little goth chick. When she's nor working, she relaxes in a cluttered house in a worn, comfy chair and has a goldfish for a pet.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumble* Ya beat me to it, Storm. [Razz]

I don't remember ever having a single "moment" when I realized that everyone I know will die one day, but I also don't remember NOT knowing, so it musta been pretty young. Blarg.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the question posed to me: That life is incredibly unpredictible, and that we need to make as much out of it as humanly possible.

My classmate died in a car wreck... She was going WAY too fast on a curve, and flipped her car. Unfortunately, she was not wearing a seatbelt. She was ejected through her windshield and flew fifty feet into a cow pasture.

I've actually kept the ribbon from the vigil... It's pinned up in my car, right over my view mirror, to remember Ashley.

And to remind myself of the hazards of not buckling up and driing safely.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Death
Member # 3787

- posted      Profile for Death           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one.
YES.

quote:
I'M AFRAID IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT.

quote:
You are on fire lately, Moose.
ACCEPT YOUR FATE AND MOVE ON. DEATH BY BURNING IS QUITE POPULAR IN AFRICA.

quote:
See Landmark forum, 5000th post aka "1/5000: Ya I'm weird like that."
BRING IT TO MY OFFICE. I'M ON A TIGHT SCHEDULE

quote:
i think we knew about death as long as were able to talk it just gradually took awhile before we realized that death could happen to us.
I "HAPPEN TO YOU" ONLY IF YOU CONSIDER HOUSECLEANING A "HAPPENING".
quote:
One of the spiritual guidelines of the Benedictines is to keep death before you daily.
CORRECT. YOU WOULDN'T MIND TELLING THEM TO BUGGER OFF, WOULD YOU?
quote:
there's only one direction, and time it's only measure.
THAT'S THE SPIRIT.
quote:
She hates plays like Hamlet.
SO DO I.
quote:
I sometimes think I'd prefer a hell to just nothing, and only dimly aware that its nothing, if at all.
YES. HELL IS GREAT FOR BARBECUES.
quote:
It's not morbid - it's celebrating life as something that doesn't stop when our bodies do. It's beautiful.
...AND THEY SERVE GOOD COCKTAILS.
quote:
I finish watching Tuck Everlasting, then come to Hatrack and see this thread.
IT'S VERY EDUCATIONAL.
quote:
Everyone knows that Death is a cute, little goth chick. When she's nor working, she relaxes in a cluttered house in a worn, comfy chair and has a goldfish for a pet.
BOY, ARE YOU IN FOR A SURPRISE...
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Death is Norm Macdonald.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands "Death" a warrant for his/her arrest* [Razz] (Cf Rev. 20:15)

I think I first came to an awareness that I would die one day when I was approaching thirteen and I discovered that I needed surgery to save my life. Nonetheless, I don't remember either before or after than being profoundly affected by anyone's funeral. Perhaps it's just my normal emotional distance....

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.