FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game -- Round Nineteen. Sarcasticmuppet takes the lead!

Author Topic: Guess the Author Game -- Round Nineteen. Sarcasticmuppet takes the lead!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen, and Eighteen

quote:
I like the beach, I guess. Soft-skinned boys, lightly muscled, toss footballs and insults over the churning surf. So oblivious to the world around them, engulfed in sand and salt and adolescence, so carefree. Young women stroll along the water's edge in brightly-colored bikinis, manicures glistening and hair neatly slicked into a perfect shimmering knot at the nape of their necks. They are beautiful and they know it. Sometimes a girl in a t-shirt and shorts trots along beside that tanned and slender figure - the former a quiet foil to the bubbly persona of the latter. She doesn't have that glow, but she's the one that always captures my attention. Couples twirl fingers idly, smiling -- like the boys they are oblivious, but for a very different reason. Babies, dogs, mothers, grandmothers, brothers, friends. Sometimes I join this cast of sandy players, but I prefer a place in the audience.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The guess from list:

advice for robots . . . . . . Human. . . . . . . . . . Pat
ae . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Icarus. . . . . . . . . .. Pixie
amira tharani . . . . . . . . .IndexCard . . . . . . . porcelain girl
Amka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Irami. . . . . . . . . . . . pooka
Annie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .JaneX. . . . . . . . . . sarcastic muppet
Belle. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jeniwren. . . . . . . . .saxon75
Bob_Scopatz . . . . . .. .. . Jon Boy. . . . . . .. . ScottR
Caleb Varns . . . . . . . ... . Kama.. . . . . . . . .. Shlomo
CalvinMaker . . . . . . . . . . KarlEd . . . . . . .. . Slash the Bezerker
Celia60 . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . katharina. . . . .. . . .solo
Christy . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . Kayla . . . . . . . . . . sndrake
Dan_raven . . . . . . . . .. . . Leonide . . . . . . . . Strider
Dante . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . Leto II . . . . . . . . . T_Smith
dkw . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .. littlemissattitude. .. Tammy
Dragon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :Locke . . . . . . . . . . Teshi
enjeeo . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. ludosti. . . . . … . . The Tick
Ethics Gradient. . . . . . .. . Maethoriell. . . . . . Tresopax
Feyd Baron. . .. . . . . . . . . mackillian. . . . . . . .Troubadour
Flyby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mama Squirrel. . . . TomDavidson
Filleted. . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . Morbo.. . . . . . . . . . .twinky
Fugu13. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Nick . . . . . . . . . . . . Unmaker
Geoffrey Card. . . . . . . .. . Ophelia. . . . . . . . . . Vána
Hobbes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Papa Moose . .. . . . zgator

[ September 06, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The score:

Sarcasticmuppet: 33
Jeniwren: 32
Ophelia: 29
Eslaine: 21 ˝
Christy: 20
Advice for Robots: 17
Caleb: 16
Belle: 16
Saxon75: 16
Deirdre: 16
Mackillian: 15˝
Irami: 15
Morbo: 15 ˝
Teshi: 12
Annie: 11
Fugu: 10
Twinky: 8
Nick: 7 ˝
BannaOJ: 6
Scott R: 6
Celia: 6
Tom Davidson: 5 ˝
Jon Boy: 5
Human 4˝
esl: 4 ˝
Ethics Gradient: 4 ˝
Enjeeo: 4 ˝
Leonide: 3 ˝
Fitz: 3
Dan Raven 3
Beren One Hand: 2
Katharina: 2
Jaiden: 2
Blacwolve: 2
GreNME: 2
Sopwith: 2
Kayla 1˝
Papa Moose: 1
Locke: 1
Filetted: 1
T Smith: 1
Kwsni: 1
Noemon 1
Pooka: ˝
Punchdrunk: ˝

^eleKtron
Member # 5619

- posted      Profile for ^eleKtron   Email ^eleKtron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I havent been here for very long so I can't venture a guess at who it might be, but it seems to have a very soft feel to it. It reminds me of some of the things my sister has written, so I'd have to say it's a female author...

[ September 05, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: ^eleKtron ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I really like this one. Poetic with a touch of whimsy. It definitely captures the mood of a lazy summer day at the beach, one that fades into a lingering evening, perhaps with a bonfire.

It's interesting, but I have a hard time determining the gender of either the narrator or the author. The "soft-skinned boys" seems a sort of feminine turn of phrase, but it's hard to say. There's a maturity to the phrasing, but not one that seems impossible for a younger writer to achieve.

Not that I have a lot of experience with beaches outside of California, but it seems to be a better portrait of Southern California beaches than anywhere else I've been, so my guess is that the author is from down here.

My guess: filletted.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes a girl in a t-shirt and shorts trots along beside that tanned and slender figure - the former a quiet foil to the bubbly persona of the latter.
This line seems to reference to a previously mentioned single tanned and slender figure, though I beleive the tanned and slender figure mentioned is the "bubbly persona of the latter" that is being referred to. It was a little confusing.

I love the imagery, however. It makes me curious about the rest of the story.

And now another random guess, because I can think of three or four people on the list that are capable of it.

Ophelia

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It feels female, but SHY female -- someone who hasn't really partaken of the fruit she's describing. There's an odd hint of formality, too, that contrasts with the author's general suggestion of youth. (It's that formality, by the way, that I find a bit jarring about the piece; it just doesn't fit -- or else isn't quite languorous ENOUGH.)

I'm going to go with pooka.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say, Sarcastic Muppet.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this one a lot also. The phrasing and the things the author focuses on both suggest to me that the author is female, and the comfortability that the author has with the language suggests to me that she's an adult. Jeniwren is the person who I keep coming back to as the author of this one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Maethoriell. Dunno if she's already had a sample, too lazy to check.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I know none of the authors has been repeated, but are we sure that none of them will be?

dkw? (<--- Edit: that was a question, not a guess.)

[ September 05, 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

At least one author has turned in more than one piece, and as we get closer to the end of what I’ve got I’ll probably put out a call for more submissions, including second submissions if people want to keep going. So yes, repeats are possible.

All guesses so far are wrong.

dkw
Member # 3264

Ah. Um. Er . . . I just realized I made a major error. I never added this person to the guess from list. [Embarrassed] Doing it now would give it away . . . do you all want to keep guessing, knowing that the name is NOT on the list, or is this round a do-over?

Whichever, please give the author some good critique, since it’s not her/his fault that I messed up.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a wonderful piece that could use some paragraph breaks to ease up transitions. The word choice is terrific and evocative, the tone soft and a bit wistful.

The writer is a long-time, careful observer, one with a strong academic streak. I get the feeling, though, that this writer is one of those "hidden gems" who speaks with thunder but creates with soft touches. I have little doubt that the author is feminine because of their choice of descriptive elements, but this is a side of the person that doesn't often come out, at least to us.

My best guess is that it's Martha.

[ September 05, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Razz] Remember to add folks on the list! (has a vested interest)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe some new joiner who just got added to the list of players has been picked already, whereas some of us haven't had our fragments posted YET. [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I think it's a pretty good start to a story, but yeah. I think it kind of voids the round. (I'll take any points I can get though!) [Big Grin]

Who is it? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

I'm getting the feel of one of the newer posters here (like last 4 or 5 months perhaps), female, semi-quiet, but well known and comfortable enough to send in a story. Feels like someone in High School, also.

Raia, Ryuko, or Avadaru?

::shrug::

I'm horrible at guessing things so if I'm horribly off, don't feel too bad. I did after all say that Leonide's piece felt like a Motherish-Semireligious author. [Smile]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how the speaker distances him/herself from the goings on on the beach. At first reading the narrator's voice seems like an old(er) man or woman, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he/she is isolated due to a physical or mental disability.

Belle.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

People who complain about the order should know that this piece was received before theirs was. [Razz] I just missed it when I was adding names.

T-smith, are you guessing all three of those?

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems a bit too introspective for the beach, to me. It almost seems as though the narrator is sitting beneath a tree in the park contemplating the beach. This is not a bad thing, but there's an exuberence missing.

I love the prose. It has a wonderfully soft flow.

Female, one who's been the "the former a quiet foil to the bubbly persona of the latter".

I'm about to make a leap here, though, because I have no idea whether or not this person is female [Blushing]

Edit: Duh, I forgot my guess Ryuko! (because she? guessed and is not on the list)

[ September 05, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Sure, why not. I'll guess all three if I can, and Ryuko if only one.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Judges . . . I need a ruling!

::consults::

Not Ryuko.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Is it Avadaru? (blatantly takes Nate's guess)
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Raia then, for the same reasons.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have thought that a person could only make one guess at a time, but I'm new to the game, so take that for what it's worth.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

dkw, you never answered whether it was martha.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep guessing. [Smile] See how good we really are.

Otherwise put this story at the very end and hope we have short memories.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Sorry Saxon. Not Martha.

Not Raia either.

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I loved the imagry, as I said before. Wonderful listing of things, leading to a more 'movie-like' experience.

kwsni.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

::points to Ryuko::

She got it.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

O_O HM?
dkw
Member # 3264

I didn't actually say that you'd be right if I let you have all three guesses.
dkw
Member # 3264

But in this case, you were. I’ll split the winner’s points between you and Ryuko.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I get a half point!!!! Wheee!!!
dkw
Member # 3264

You get 2 ˝ points. But only ‘cause I let you slide on the rationale of “stole it from Nathan.” Otherwise I don’t count guesses without analysis or critique. Which reminds me, I forgot to growl at you and Dan Raven earlier.

[Mad] [Mad] No guesses without rationale or critique!

[ September 05, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yes, sir! Sorry, sir!

Also, what is the points system?

dkw
Member # 3264

Hmm. I guess I better start including the rules in each thread.

2 points for a guess with critique of the story excerpt.
1 point for a guess with reason for guess given.
5 points for correct guess with either of the above.
Guesses with neither critique nor rationale get growls, snide remarks, or ignored.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I put my reason in now and grovel for the point?

I picked SM because you mentioned him in the thread title, which I took for an obvious attempt to be too obvious and hence throw us all off the track.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Read the ends of the previous two rounds to see why I put her name in the thread title. How about half a point?

Round Twenty

[ November 13, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.