FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The ironic statement thread

Author Topic: The ironic statement thread
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Here's where we, after scouring people's threads, post quotes in which people unintentionally demonstrate irony at its finest. For example, take the following statement that Kayla keyboarded into the "Bush is an ignoramus: a chain letter told me so" thread-

quote:
When did the schools stop teaching Capital letters? And History, apparently.
Delicious. For the uninitiated, not only should "capital" not be capitalized, but neither should the names of school subjects, unless they are also the names of languages (which as proper nouns are just naturally capitalized) or are followed by a number, like "History 2333" or something. Also, the name of a specific course, like "Chicano and Latino History," would utilize majuscules. But "history" by itself would not.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about the phrase "keyboarded into" makes me snicker . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, fugu. That is pretty ironic.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I could care less about any irony (of which there isn't much, if any, in the phrase) . . . It just amuses me, in that snickering kind of way.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Your amusement is noted. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
from Pod:

quote:
When did the schools stop teaching Capital letters?
answer: Before Kayla graduated. heh.
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You know, for the capital letter thing, I was actually intending to emphasize the word capital more than capitalize it. However, the History was just me, being bone-headed. [Smile]

podly, [ROFL]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Or "just my being bone-headed"? [Evil]
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Nah. I was just me. Being boneheaded. You know. Me, being me.

I checked that paragraph and the sentence, "However, the History was just me, being bone-headed," with Microsoft Works and in the standard spelling/grammar check it did say it should be "Me, being I."

Actually, these were the corrections is suggested. "However, the History was just I, being bone-headed. I was just I. Being boneheaded. You know. Me, being I."

I flipped it into casual and the original was error free. [Roll Eyes]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.