FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Chance For You To Do My Homework For Me

Author Topic: A Chance For You To Do My Homework For Me
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. As part of my annual bird course, I am required to analyze one post-1998 film about marriage.

Which is more difficult than it sounds. Most romantic films are about un-marrried relationships.

I'd appreciate any help here. Anybody know about a movie made since January 1998 that features a married couple?

Unfaithful is just about the only example I can come up with.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Eyes Wide Shut

lots of reviews/discussion online -- be sure to cite your sources. Or we'll shun you.

[Mad]
[Wave]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The Family Man (2000)
The Story of Us (1999)
The In-Laws (2003)
Iris (2001)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hook" is the first one that came to mind. Also, "K-Pax" is another. All the other movies I can think of, or have, involve young couples or people who have divorced or split up. I'll keep thinking though.

(Author's Note: Duh, Hook is pre-1998. Must learn to read all of the posts! [Embarrassed] )

[ September 05, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Javert ]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
My pick would be Life Is Beautiful . The link will tell you it was made in 1997, because it was released in Italy in December of that year. But it didn't come to America until almost a year later, so I think you could make it count. It's one of the most touching takes on marriage I've ever seen, and a natural subject for a paper. And doing a foreign film always makes you look good. [edit: The actors playing the married couple in the film are actually married in real life. Might be a nice bit of trivia to flesh out the paper.]

When I think about this subject some more I'm sure I'll come up with some more, but upon a cursory analysis of my personal DVD collection, I found a few other movies that could be peripherally related to the topic of marriage.

Return to Me starts with a married couple, and then even when it departs from that and enters the traditional romantic-comedy genre, it still deals to a great extent with the male lead's previous marriage. It also draws comparison from the marriages of the other characters in the movie, and it ends in yet another marriage, so the theme is all over in there if you look for it.

This may sound a bit more far-fetched, but an important subplot of Star Trek: Nemesis involves the marriage of two of the main characters.

And finally, Best In Show introduces and analyzes the relationships of at least three married couples, and a few other people in committed homosexual relationships, so you might be able to pull that off.

Just a few ideas. Feel free to use them or pass on them. Good luck.

[ September 06, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Eye's Wide Shut is a good movie, but I'm not sure you should be watching it for school. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Sweet Home Alabama.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

What are you doing up at this hour? [No No]

[Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

*Just releazied he used a [No No] on a mod*
*Just releazied he used a [No No] on KACard*
*Just took up residence in a cave*

Hobbes [Smile]

kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes -- you've got so many points with me it would take something WAY more drastic than that to even make me blink at something you did. [Eek!]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
American Beauty was 1999 I believe.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was coming out of the theater from having seen Return to Me, my wife and I were trying to remember what the movie had been called--we'd gone to it on a whim, without knowing much about it before hand. I looked back at the marquee and saw that there was a film showing called Where the Heart Is, and mistakenly thought that that was the (very poor taste but nonetheless funny) title of the movie I'd just seen. It took us 10 or so minutes to realize our mistake.

[ September 06, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I think Hobbes is officially the sweetest, most guile-free poster on Hatrack. I alternate between wanting to give him a noogie, pretend to be shocked, and tackle-hug him off his bike when he least expects it.

But I think celia is going to take care of the last for us.

[ September 06, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't actually seen it, but the title is just too good not to suggest it. What about Just Married?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Just glancing at our DVD's

Donnie Darko(2001)
Being John Malkovich(1999)
Devil's Advocate(drat, 1997, and probably the best choice of the 3)

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny
Member # 5551

- posted      Profile for jenny   Email jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
When a Man Loves A Woman would be my idea.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.