FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I am not at church

Author Topic: Why I am not at church
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I set up my lesson in the little classroom I use to teach the 5 & 6 year olds. This is a job I love, both for the children and the back-to-basics studying of important principles. Today was a topic I especially enjoy, and I'd created little handouts for the children.

It is all still sitting in the classroom.

After I set up, I went into the chapel where all the children meet to sing songs, listen a talk prepared by one of the children, and have an opening prayer. About the time we were dismissing to classes, a police officer came in and whispered to one of the ladies by the pulpit. Suddenly, we were herding children outside, each teacher responsible for those in her class.

Outside, there were police cars. Soon there were fire trucks. We were told that they did't want anyone in the parking lot. Everyone needs to go home. So I held onto my students until their parents gather them, and I get my own kids in hand and then we head to our car where Vladimir is waiting. There were firemen on that side of the church, looking in every bush.

Vladimir, who teaches the 14-16 year old boys, said, "I guess someone didn't want to come to church."

And that is all I know. Except that, thankfully, we haven't heard an earth shattering kaboom.

[ September 07, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would your church have a bomb threat? I doubt you attend a black church -- are you LDS in a Baptist-dominated area, or what?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Amka, how terrifying! I hope it was just a threat, with no actual explosives. Still horrible and cruel, but at least less dangerous. Stay safe!

(((((Amka)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye Carumba!

Be safe. [Frown]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

No, I'm LDS in an LDS dominated area.

The most likely reason is what my husband said: A teenager who is angry at his parents and at the church.

A second likely reason would be an adult who is angry at the church.

I highly doubt it is from someone outside of the church.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang..

When I was nine, our church was firebombed. We have pictures from the clean-up. That's scary stuff.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I thought, "You can come worship at my church if you want."

And I didn't think of it as trying to convert, or insulting, but more like, "You're house is inaccessible, come use mine while you need it."

Does that make sense?

I hope this all clears up, amka.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, wish I'd thought of that when I was kid.

Church was insufferably boring.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Thanks, mack. It makes sense.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

What a scary situation. Glad everyone's ok.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie,

white, conservative churches get bombed and burned, too... just FYI.

I *do* hope this was just a kid wanting to get out of church... and am likewise glad everyone's ok.

[ September 07, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] (((((((Amka))))))))
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((Amka))))))))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Amka))))
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

I just got my things back. Apparently they called all the organization leaders to let them know they could come in the building to get people's personal belongings and return them.

It was just a threat, made from a pay phone.

It is pretty irritating. I wonder how much this actually cost the city.

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm glad you're OK! ((((Amka)))) I wonder what the punishment for a bomb threat is... [Dont Know] Maybe they should watch as their family almost falls off the edge of a cliff. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Because that would be fair to the family, to have to suffer that as a result of some relative's idiocy.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel as though I need to stand up for any baptist that may be members on this board. I think there are a few.

Lalo, what you said was totally uncalled for. While baptist may feel that mormons are not saved, it is NOT a baptist ideal or doctrine that they should bomb mormon churches. Is there any certain incident that you know of that would cause you to believe this?

It just frustrate me that you would think that if she lived in a highly concentrated baptist area that they would be the prime suspects of a bomb threat.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
*DELETED FOR BETTER JUDGEMENT*

[ September 07, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Because that would be fair to the family, to have to suffer that as a result of some relative's idiocy.
Well I was going more for the whole digital image thing. Your right though, I would never want to put the fmaily at even am inconvience just because their relative is a ... well I'm trying to stop swearing. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 07, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i would just like to point out to our belovedly ethno-obsessed eddie that there are black mormons.

just perhaps not in utah, where there are, in fact, five whole persons of african ancestry.
give or take a few.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter whether you are black, white, LDS, Catholic, Baptist or in what area you live!

I think events over the past 2 years (and more) tell us that anyone can be at risk - from anyone else. Be it a "disgrunted" co-worker, fundamentalist terrorist, "fat, lonely kid", trusted priest/minister or close relative, our perception of our safety is just that - perceived.

I'm sure Amka is correct that someone either thought it was "funny" or was playing a "malicious" prank in calling in the bomb threat. Either way, I hope they are caught and punished appropriately (in Hobbes' VR simulation?).

Sorry your lesson was spoiled Amka. I'm glad that it turned out to an "inconvenience" rather than a tragedy.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Was someone scheduled to be the Youth Speaker?

Just a thought. [Razz]

One of the funniest meetings I've been to was when the scheduled speaker came, realized he'd forgotten, and ran out during the announcement he was to speak. If the bomb threat had occurred to him, he would have been overwhelmed with gratitude.

[ September 08, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Well, actually that happened to my husband twice in the same ward, but both times he simply wasn't there. If he'd been there, he would have shot from the hip, which is how he typically does it anyway. The first time he was sick and forgot to call in until I realized it during sacrament meeting. The second time kids were sick, we forgot about his talk and I had responsibilities, so he stayed home. It was most embarrassing.
katharina
Member # 827

I forgot about teaching Relief Society once. It was in my current ward, and it still gets brought up occasionally.

What I can't believe is how completely I forgot. No vague itching in the back of my mind, no wierd feeling going in, nothing. I was sitting there happily, and there was announcements:

"Thanks for the song, now we'll have a lesson from Katie."

Shock. Disbelief. Nervous laughter. "Are you kidding?"

Shock on other side. "Nope."

I pick up my scriptures. "Okay, I'll just wing it."

It turned out well, I think. I absolutely adore my scriptures, because I mark everything and take notes and put little tabs for most of the topics, all for this purpose. I've done it before, I'll probably do it again, and I just try to prepare so that I can do it even when I completely, utterly, and totally forget.

Thalia
Member # 3891

- posted      Profile for Thalia   Email Thalia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, that's so cool... I totally love my scriptures too and do the same thing you do. In fact I actually type up quotations or explanations of verses or chapters from the institute manuals, and print them in thin strips to glue in the margins of my scriptures. My whole NT is done that way. It's helped a few times to add to lessons or resolve little issues in classes.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I'm glad you're okay, too. The Kingdom Hall my mom and sisters attend was burned down several years ago, and they never did find out who did it. No one was hurt, and it's since been rebuilt. But still it's pretty unnerving.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.