FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My extremely important CT question (CT, get in here)

Author Topic: My extremely important CT question (CT, get in here)
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to pick a new doctor. My current doctor is great, but my new insurance doesn't cover him. I've been trying to get a recommendation for a new doctor from him, but since I am no longer a patient, he seems to sort of be blowing me off.

How does one find a good doctor? You know a bit about my chronic illness. You probably also know that it is darn near impossible to find a doctor who even attempts to help. Is there a secret list somewhere?

Help!

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My current doctor is great, but my new insurance doesn't cover him. I've been trying to get a recommendation for a new doctor from him, but since I am no longer a patient, he seems to sort of be blowing me off.
Hmmm, that doesn't sound like a very great doctor to me. [Mad]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sending you an email, Slash.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. I was kind of looking forward to your reply, CT. I have been looking for a new doctor for a while.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! The doctor I've been seeing for the past year is no longer covered by my insurance, and I'm looking for a new one. So far I've just been hitting near by doctors one at a time as the need arises, but if the early results are any indication, it's going to take me awhile to find somebody that I like that way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was searching for a pediatrician, someone gave me the great advice that, the kind of doctor you want is the selfless kind. One that is willing to meet with you before you commit to them and charge you very little or none at all (for the consultation). I realize that this is tough for doctors to do, but this is exactly the kind of doctor you DO want. One that goes against the grain to give you the best possible care.

[ September 08, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take PSI Teleport's recommendation to find a new doctor. That's how I found my present doctors starting with a list of doctors within the driving distance I was willing to commit to from my Insurance Co.

I live in Cheshire, CT. I actually have a funny story about my GP. One summer day, my mate and I were up on the roof of the house (flat roof) cleaning the gutters, etc. when we accidently knocked the ladder down. We were contemplating how we were going to get down when I heard people talking in the street. I managed to get the attention of two bicyclists who put the ladder back up for us. Fast forward six months and I was seeing my new GP for the first time after having done a telephone interview to see if she would be someone I wanted to go to. Towards the end of the examination, she asked where I lived and I told her. She then asked if I was the person she and her husband rescued from having been stuck on the roof of the house. [Big Grin]

Edited to add:

Once you've settled on a couple of potential doctors, call the hospital with whom they are associated and ask about them. They should be able to give you additional information.

[ September 08, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: unohoo ]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of things do you ask though? I generally form an impression of a doctor by how they go about diagnosing something that is wrong with me, and what their personality appears to be in the context of an office visit.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm not sure that it's "ok" to ask this question, but I chose an OB based on the fact that she and her other practioners were Christian. It's probably a good idea to have a doctor with similar world views as you. Example: My doctor never offered an abortion. She knew I wouldn't want one. Whereas, when I went to Planned-Parenthood in order to get a pregnancy test and, if positive, proof of pregnancy for my insurance, the woman kept mentioning it, even though I was smiling upon learning I was pregnant and my husband was there, smiling as well.

Not that this would ever pertain to you. [Smile]

[ September 08, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't some lizards switch gender? In which case it might very well pertain to him someday. [Razz]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whereas, when I went to Planned-Parenthood in order to get a pregnancy test and, if positive, proof of pregnancy for my insurance, the woman kept mentioning it, even though I was smiling upon learning I was pregnant and my husband was there, smiling as well.
That's the kind of story that inspires gag orders.

[ September 08, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

quote:
I'm not sure that it's "ok" to ask this question, but I chose an OB based on the fact that she and her other practioners were Christian. It's probably a good idea to have a doctor with similar world views as you.
While finding an MD with similar world views is probably nice, I would think that it would be more important to find someone who is competent. I'm sure one can find both in the same package. [Big Grin] Also, wouldn't it make sense to find someone who can perform certain procedures if your life or health to the point of being able to conceive again were dependent on said procedures? (This last sentence was added post post. [Big Grin] )

[ September 08, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: unohoo ]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yep. My "world view" includes being competent. [Big Grin]

Kat: It got a WHOLE lot worse. I'll never go there again, that's for sure. The woman kept trying to get me to admit that my husband had forced me to have sex with him against my will, and all kinds of other nonsense for which there was NO evidence, either physical or emotional. It was so irritating. It was like she WANTED me to get an abortion. She was making stuff up to rationalize it and she kept saying, "Are you SURE you want this baby?" and "Are you sure that your husband didn't impregnate you against your will?" It was horrible! I was so happy to find out we were going to have a baby (planned and everything!) and she was ruining it. Couldn't she have just said "Congratulations"? [Mad]

[ September 08, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think a place named 'Planned Parenthood' would be glad to see you becoming a 'planned parent'.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, why did your insurance need proof of pregnancy? Wouldn't the doctor's test be proof enough? Did you complain to your insurance company about PP? Were there other alternatives offered by your insurance company? Do you beleive that PP tries to talk everyone into an abortion? Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

PSI - Didn't Einstein say something to the effect that there is an infinite supply of Stupidity? Anyway, it sounds like this woman is an idiot, but I'll echo Kayla's questions, why did you have to go to PP when you already were sure you wanted to keep the baby should you discover that you were pregnant? It makes no sense to me that your insurance wouldn't defer to a regular OB GYN regarding pregnancy.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Kayla, I have state-funded insurance...I needed proof to get approved for it in the first place, and I couldn't see the doctor until I had been approved. They mainly insure pregnant women and they wanted to make sure I wasn't lying to get the insurance for myself.

No I didn't complain about the Planned Parenthood thing, it never really occured to me. I was in another state at the time of the test (Georgia) but my prenatal care was going to take place in Arizona, my state of residence and the place I was applying for insurance. I never realized my doctor might care until now.

Unohoo- There aren't many places you can go to get proof of pregnancy other than a doctor's office, which I couldn't afford without the insurance. In Arizona, I have always gone to Women's Pregnancy Centers, which are Pro-Life and Christian. There wasn't one where I was in Georgia, and I needed documentation of the pregnancy.

About PP trying to make girls get abortions: I don't know if they do that often, but if they did that to a happily married woman who said "Yay" when her test came up positive, it makes sense that they would make that the primary option for unmarried girls who might be curious about their different choices. I know something of the history of PP and have come to the conclusion that they are pretty pro-abortion.

[ September 08, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI Teleport, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Planned Parenthood.

Kayla, I went to Planned Parenthood all throughout my college years and had no trouble with them at all. They were courteous, extremely available for appointments and most importantly cheap since I did not have insurance that would cover birth control.

That said, I have had an abortion, so my views may be less sensitive. I was never approached, nor pestered about abortion during my visits. I was asked about my sexual partners/health and my emotional health, all which I think are important things to discuss with your doctor, but may make some people uncomfortable.

PSI, was the Planned Parenthood doctor a one-time visit or did you go regularly there? That, also, may make a difference. Did the doctors there know it was a planned pregnancy?

Edit: I find it in pretty poor taste that the woman kept asking you about abortion. I think it should be mentioned, or discussed previously as you have with your current doctor, but to keep asking is just absurd!

[ September 08, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I got on Planned Parenthood's list of probable sympathizers, and judging from what they send me and urge me to vote for, they are not just listing abortion as an option, but as the only sensible option. It's very funny. I keep sending back their "surveys" with demands they reconfigure their biased questions.

[ September 09, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

The other thing you have to understand about Planned Parenthood is that they see a lot of abused women. They are a bit extra cautious to be sure that women are not being forced in either direction -- to have a baby or to not.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Christy- It was the first time I had ever been to Planned Parenthood, and they definitely knew it was planned, and that I was happy about it. Maybe just the fact that I was there raised an alarm for them. But there was a husband holding our lovable one-year-old son and grinning. Shouldn't it have been obvious that we wanted a family?

added: That is weird. The only person that seemed to be "forcing" me one way or the other was that lady.

I was firmly convinced that I wanted the child. But I could see that her particular method of questioning was designed to draw out any little tidbit of anything that might possibly have been questionable at all, and then exploit it. She was very thorough, and any girl that wasn't quite sure what to do would very likely have been swayed to make a decision that may not have made her happy in the long run.

[ September 08, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Christy
Member # 4397

Yes, definitely so.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest and frank, ask the doctor whom you cannot see anymore and ask who they see. Then go to that one. Doctors and those inside the arena know who to trust and who to avoid. The list of doctors to avoid is generally small though when viewed objectively. When word-of-mouth and emotion come into play, a doctor's credibility can be unjustly destroyed. Then again, some doctors are negligent. That is why Slash has a good idea of asking someone on the inside (CT, How are ya?) how to tell the difference.

For example, I had a doctor in town who is a Hematologist, of which I admire very much. But one of my friends who is a doctor and like family to me explained to me that he is negligent and gave me examples that were shocking. Only a collegue would know this in most circumstances, so fight your way to the inside!

Hey! (Brainstorm) Ask the pharmacist who fills your medication who they recommend and ask WHY!!! They will give you a straight answer!

[ September 08, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Hey Alucard! Those are excellent suggestions! That's what I'm going to do next time I need an MD. I really like my OB GYN, so if I need to find someone else (for a different specialty), I'll ask her. I also really like the pharmacy idea.
Lazer King
Member # 4580

- posted      Profile for Lazer King           Edit/Delete Post 
??????????????? [Confused]
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The experience with Planned Parenthood does not surprise me in the least.

I don't say this from personal experience, but from experience working with Sav-a-Life, a place that offers free pregnancy testing and counseling, but does not perform abortions. They see many girls from PP, who come to them because they are pregnant and afraid, but have deep religious and/or personal moral convictions that abortion is murder. The experience PSI is relating is remarkably similar to the reports I've heard, and seen documented by girl's written testimonies.

I can also verify that this type of behavior is fairly common through reports from Alabama Physicians for Life.

Lastly, my husband has worked in territories that contained abortion clinics, and I wish I could tell you some of the things he's seen. The main reason I cannot, is some of the cases are under investigation with possible criminal charges, and speaking of it outside the courts is a no-no. I certainly don't want to jeopardize the pending case against one particular doctor, I believe there will be rejoicing in heaven when he loses his license to practice, which seems very likely. The criminal charges may follow the revoking of his medical license, God willing.

I've never set foot in an abortion clinic myself, I don't ever plan to. My work in the pro-life movement is mostly concentrated around caring for Moms that have decided to keep their babies. I focus on that, because I know how hard it is for a mom with a new baby to feel overwhelmed, particularly if there is little help from family and friends. I barely made it through the twins' first few months, and I had excellent support from family and church and a supportive husband.

Anyway, I shouldn't have posted this probably. I haven't been to hatrack in days and I only came by to check with no intention of posting. I'm really trying to wean myself off of the internet, I try to keep my online time down to one hour a day. You guys here are just so irresistible - I have a hard time not responding to you. [Wink]

And PSI, I think it's absolutely appropriate to want to go only to Christian medical practitioners, I do as well. With an OB, that is essential, I would never go for care with a doctor that would perform or recommend abortion. See if your state has a pro-life physicians organization, like Alabama Physicians for Life. That would be a place to start, if a Christian worldview is important to you.

And for those that think I'm exaggerating, go look at some research and read some testimonies of girls and women who have had abortions.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey! (Brainstorm) Ask the pharmacist who fills your medication who they recommend and ask WHY!!! They will give you a straight answer!

Do you really think it's wise to select your doctor based on which has the best handwriting on prescriptions? [Razz]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
HA! [Wink] I hope pharmacists are a little more in the know than that...although, I greatly esteem and admire them for being able to decipher ANYTHING that a Dr. writes down. I'm always amazed when I receive my neatly packaged prescription with special instructions on the label. How did the pharmacist READ that from the little paper that I gave him/her??? [Wink]

Good suggestions though Alucard and PSI. *takes notes*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think interviewing a doctor (for free) is the best course. That is how I got the best pediatrician ever. [Smile]

PSI, actually, having the one year old with you may have been a factor. The CDC actually reccommends that women wait to concieve until their previous child is at least 18 months old. That is basically best for the mother and the child. I found that out AFTER I concieved my second child, but as it turns out my timing was 'perfect'. My mother-in-law sent me clippings about it.

I don't think I could have an abortion, for moral reasons, but I don't think they should be illegal, especially if performed early. I hope I'm never in a situation where I'll have to make such a choice.

On the other hand, I get the same mailings as katharina, and I find them offensive. The one I recieved calling pro-life protesters "terrorists" shortly after 9/11, honestly made me ill. Very poor taste, I thought.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The handwriting thing made me wonder too, I mean, do they give you a course in pharmacy school in deciphering doctor scribble? [Confused]

I'm sure there are clues that help, I mean a scribble that looks like it starts with Cel is more likely to be Celexa if it's from a psychiatrist than it is to be Celebrex, I guess.

If there's a question, do you ask the patient what it's supposed to be? Or do you always have to call the doctor if you can't figure it out?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Olivet- He was probably at least 18 months old. I just didn't want to say two years because I knew that wasn't right. I should have said "a year and a half". Around there somewhere.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me preface this by saying that I know that this ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT APPLY to like 99.999% of pro-life protesters and I ABSOLUTELY do NOT think of pro-lifers in general like this, but I will say that I have very little problem labelling people as terrorists if they would use bomb threats (real or fake) or would murder someone to get their point across, regardless of how morally right or wrong I (or anyone else) might find their cause. At the very least I will call them vigilantes.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

On the other hand, I'm also absolutely certain that the kind of people who send out pamphlets calling people terrorists are not even remotely as discriminating as I am.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'll agree with that. [Hat]
(the first one [Smile]
I don't know about the second.)

[ September 09, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Belle
Member # 2314

I know that at Hatrack this is probably not even necessary to say, but I'd just like to point out that the vast, vast majority of pro-life organizations have public statements available about their disassociation with groups that advocate murder or the bombing of clinics.

Here's a handy example of one, I have several others saved somewhere on my hard drive, in response to a long ago thread where someone stated that right-to-life groups were either silent or vague when it comes to condeming violence.

quote:
Alabama Physicians For Life, Inc. (APFLI) renounces the murder of any abortion provider as an act totally opposed to the Pro-Life philosophy. While APFLI does not condone the destruction of innocent human life by abortion providers, our organization in the clearest of terms condemns the action of those who assassinate abortion providers. APFLI does not regard these assassins as Pro-Life. To destroy any human life at any stage is totally contrary to the Pro-Life philosophy.

APFLI condemns the use of violence by anyone to counteract the violence of abortion. Violence begets violence. To devalue human life in the womb by allowing the violent destruction of preborn human life simply opens the blood-gates of violence elsewhere. Albert Schweitzer noted, "If a man loses reverence for any part of life, he will lose reverence for all life." To devalue preborn life leads to the devaluing of all human life.

As physicians, we vow to promote and protect human life, not destroy it. Our desire is that the tragedy of abortion, which has divided our nation for three decades, should be resolved by peaceful means.

saxon75
Member # 4589

Belle, that's exactly the reason I prefaced my statement with so many capital letters.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think adrian is a monkey for not signing on AIM.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.