FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I am doomed to never be exhibited (or, irrational rant du jour)

Author Topic: Why I am doomed to never be exhibited (or, irrational rant du jour)
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am mad, and that doesn't happen often.

Last semester, my printmaking prof approached a group of us about being in a monotype show this fall in the campus main gallery. She said she'd get ahold of us in the fall and let us know when we needed to have our framed work ready.

I've spent all summer being very excited to finally be in a major gallery show, since I always end up being the Juried Show Reject Queen (3 years running!) and can never break into the town gallery circuit beneath all the hype of the grad students.

So today, I walk by the main gallery and see the SHOW ALREADY UP! Everyone else in the group had pieces included, but no one bothered to contact me! Even the Hi-I-Think-I'm-Jackson-Pollock boy got to display, and he had some obnoxious piece taking up an entire wall!

AARRGGGH!

I am quite put out. And terribly vexed.

:vexed: is there an emoticon for that?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I think your art is good, if it makes a diff'ernce.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie - that's terrible! What happened?? Something must have just slipped through the cracks. [Frown] I'm sorry - that sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible! I think you should go to the prof right away and ask what happened. Maybe you can still get in...I'm not sure how these things work.

How awful!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm afraid to go talk to her. I mean - I can't see it being an oversight... hmm.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy would I be pissed. [Mad]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even the Hi-I-Think-I'm-Jackson-Pollock boy got to display, and he had some obnoxious piece taking up an entire wall!

[ROFL]

The great ones are rarely appreciated in their time. With your eye and your heart, they will find you one day. Don't give up!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Annie))) I'm really sorry. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it to someone's attention and let them know that you were told to prep something over the summer and you did all that work for NOTHING. Make whoever's fault it is feel guilty...or at least one of the underlings.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That's awful! (((((Annie)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Annie)))
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep on working, Annie. You won't be in that college forever.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
you are going about this the wrong way.

put up your own show.
seriously.

well, after you pee in your professors coffee, anyway.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is your first experience with rejection...I'm impressed.

1. Wear it as a badge of honor, don't let it toughen or scar you.

2. What is the prof's explaination? 99 times out of 100, the real story is never as bad as the one you are playing in your head.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Annie!!! (((((((((((((Annie))))))))))))))

I'm so so sorry!!! But seriously, talk to them. It always helps.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm afraid to go talk to her. I mean - I can't see it being an oversight... hmm
I think talking to your prof can be a constructive experience. You can ask her whether your exclusion was an oversight. If it was, then she will probably apologize profusely and try to include you in this show or the next.

If it was not, then you can ask her if she has any suggestions on how you can improve your art (must be done with straight face!). If that doesn't impress your prof, I don't know what will! [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, don't avoid it and be all mad.

And if it makes you feel any better, I know how you feel. I've been shorted when it comes to art shows, even with my GOOD art.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel weird because I never knew Annie or Ryu were Ahhhrtistes. D'you guys have anything on the 'net for geeky art-freaks such as m'self to oggle?

[Grumble] And seriously, Annie, that sucks. Talk to 'em and get the real deal.

[ September 10, 2003, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You could check out my landmark thread, Zotto. They're not good reproductions, but they're there.

And I think I shall bite my lip and go talk to my professor today. Thanks everyone and wish me good luck.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I was born lucky. [Cool]

::transmits some of my luck to Annie::

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Thanks, I needed some of that!
Annie
Member # 295

I'd also like to know why I am doomed to always split my infinitives in public and look like a dork.

[ September 10, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! Everyone look at the dork!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Your favorite mood probably is subjunctive, isn't it?
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie,

I would recommend a shotgun... wait, a b.b. gun! With lots of ammo! It would hurt more, you see, and... well... uh, never mind...

But, in all honesty, don't let it get you down. I don't really know you, but I'm sure that only outstanding people come to this friendly Hatrack place, so keep going. Never give up. I know lots of people who have and it was the worst possible thing they could have done with their life.

Don't forget to [Smile]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I request that more things be written in the subjunctive mood.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.