FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simon and Garfunkel fans... your dreams have come true

Author Topic: Simon and Garfunkel fans... your dreams have come true
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they are reuniting and touring again this fall.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20030909/en_nm/music_simongarfunkel_dc

(bored at work and googleing)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*leap leap leap* Banna!!!! I love you! [Kiss]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Could we have any hope that they might grace the Pacific NW with their presence...I mean, the place is full of yuppies that used to be hippies and listen to all their stuff!! (Not to mention me...a strange 24 year old fan that owns all their albums.) They'd be appreciated here!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

[The Wave]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am very happy this isn't an onanism thread.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
So... hell is freezing over AND the second coming... or first coming... is here. (J/K.... everyone knows that will only happen when The Beat.... oh never mind [Frown] .)

Hmmm... I guess I'll be needing some tickets then.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when they performed at the Grammy's, I thought it was just painful to watch. And the press conference I saw today about it was nearly as bad. I hope they can repair the relationship enough to pull it off. I love their old songs, but I don't want to go see them if it is going to be anything like the Grammy performance.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez! Next thing you know the Beatles will reunite.

Actually, not too long ago I saw the S&G special filmed a few years ago in Central Park. I also saw them on Saturday Night Live (this goes back a long ways too). All I have to say is that they'd better practice before giving a concert together.

I was amazed at how off-key they could be. Art Garfunkle's voice is extremely variable and when he's "on" he sounds just like he did back in the 1960's. But when he's "off" watch out!!!

[Eek!]

But I do look forward to the concert film of this event. Should be fun.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Geez! Next thing you know the Beatles will reunite."

OK, this is terrible, but, if Paul or Ringo die, will it just be "The Beatle?" And if the survivor plays, will he be reuniting, or just playing?

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work today.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

OK, this is terrible, but, if Paul or Ringo die

I hope it's Ringo first.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennon
Member # 5453

- posted      Profile for John Lennon           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's already dead, don't you remember? I buried Paul.

I will now sit in my bed and do absolutely nothing until there is peace throughout the world, or until Ringo is dead.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

As much as I dearly love them both, (s&g not Paul and Ringo!) I too felt all cranky and squicky while watching them perform at the Grammy's. I really really hope they come up to this side of the tracks and that they are having a good time when they get here. I really really hope that this isn't a money-making scheme and they really do still hate each other.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Simon and Garfunkel. Minus Garfunkel.

I listen to their CD's but I always skip over the Garfunkel songs. But he makes a good addition to the Simon ones. I just think the ones he sings are so boring. I get sleepy and I don't want to be sleepy. [Sleep]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope it's Ringo first.
I don't think you have much to worry about. I saw Paul on the Tonight Show about a year ago, and he looks as healthy and active as a man half his age. Plus he just had another kid.

Simon is definitely the creative force behind S&G; they're all Simon songs. Garfunkel is just a pretty voice.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
ARJAILSRKLAJDLA!!!!

((((((((((BannaOJ)))))))))) I can't believe that!!! That's so exciting!!! Hooray!!!

[Party]

*does a happy dance*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I LOVE Garfunkel...Emily is one of the most beautiful songs on all five of those albums IMO...and Bridge over Troubled Water?!! Yeah, they're schmaltzy, but as I am the schmaltz queen, this doesn't bug me. I like his voice. He isn't as brilliant of a songwriter and poet as Simon is...(How can you beat "At the Zoo" and "Kathy's Song?")...but I do love his voice. You can especially hear his high clear harmonies on the Bookends album. *sighs* *goes to listen to Parsley, Sage...*
Raia
Member # 4700

♫ ...Rosemary, and Thyme... ♪
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Kathy's Song, The Only Living Boy in New York, Bridge over Troubled Water, and For Emily whenever I may find her. Those four are just absolute perfection and of course there are at least another thirty or fourty that are absolute classics, like my dad's favorite, The Boxer.

Damn were they ever good, Paul proved who was the creative force after Garfunkel left to act and do his solo stuff, but Garfunkel was still an absolutely amazing vocal performer. The proof is right in Bridge..., can anyone honestly say they could stomach anyone else singing lead on that song? There aren't many songs like that, that are wholly owned by an artist and his craft, but Garfunkel made that his own, and Simon had the modesty, and the humility to realize that even though he wrote it, and Garfunkel was obviously leaving, and they weren't getting on well, it would only realize it's pootential with Garfunkel singing lead.

Anyway Im gonna try and get tickets and see them. I saw them in '93 at the Bridge School Benefit Neil Young annually does in the fall for his special school for kids (I think they're disabled, can't remember what they suffer from) and they were outragouesly good then but the set was like only seven or eight songs and about 35 minutes (there were about 9 guest performers/bands).

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I own a recording of that concert, and I think they sound great!

[Confused]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I'm going!!!!!!!!!!! In Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In October!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dances a happy dance*

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched them on GMA this morning.

Diane Sawyer asked them for one word to describe why the split up in the first place.

Art Garfunkel said, "Tiredness."

Paul Simon said, "Is tiredness a word? Wait a minute."

Diane Sawyer interjected, "Maybe that is what. . ."

Paul Simon said, "One word? Oh, uh. . . ego."

(Wonder whose ego he could have been talking about. [Roll Eyes] )

Diane prattles on about letting ego go for a while and asks if that is what brought them back together or if there is one word for that, too.

:coughmoneycough:

Um, yeah, so anyway.

They sang. It wasn't horrible. I can't believe they are going on tour and I wouldn't pay to see them. They don't look at each other. I don't understand this. Their music is all about the two of them singing the same words with cool harmony. But since they haven't sung together in forever, the old rhythm just isn't there. They need to be looking at each other.

And I don't think ego has really been taken care of yet. Scarborough Fair was the one song that they seemed to have the timing down on. Right up to the end, where they changed the way they sing it from the recording we all grew up on. It seems that song, they sang together enough (or at least listened to enough during the break) that they still remembered how to sing it, but like I said, only up to the changed ending. And it was only some minor changes, but it blew the timing for both of them. It's really too bad. Maybe if they put out an album or something, where they can each record separately and mix it till it sounds good, I'd buy it. But for now, why would anyone pay to see two uncomfortable old men sing songs out of time?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Cry] Bawls [Cry]

Yeah *sniff* you're probably right Kayla. *sniff*

But I think I'm gonna have to go see them anyway, just for obsession sake. *sniffle*

Raia
Member # 4700

Aww, Kayla, why did you burst my bubble?

[Cry]

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
I'm going!!!!!!!!!!! In Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In October!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dances a happy dance*

Umm, yeah. Scratch that. The tickets sold out in 15 minutes, so my dad didn't manage to get tickets. Instead, he and my mom (and ONLY the two of them) are going in Colombus... I can't come cuz it's a weekday...

SO not fair!!!

[Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Raia,
I bet you can still get tickets. Go on Ebay. there is a Ticketbastard scam now, and they sell a bunch of tickets to be auctioned off. Plus, lots of people buy them up in blocks so they can sell them on Ebay.

A warning, though. I went to Bob Dylan, AGAIN, after being burned so many times, just so I could see and hear the legend. He doesn't seem to care what I think about what he should do, i.e. ditch his band, pick up his guitar, and sing us some songs.

If you go, I hope you are not disappointed. Try Ebay.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Smile] OK, thanks... I really hope that will work...
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?sosortorder=1&ht=1&sosortproperty=3&satitle=simon+and+garfunkel+tickets

Try this. They look pricey, but don't give up. I will ask my husband, later, if there are any tips. He got us two Springsteen tickets, 20th row, for 60 bucks apiece. Not cheap, but not bad for what some people will pay.

ALSO, go on to the Simon and Garfunkel site, if they have one. or just Simon's. See if there is an email list, where people chat. Folks will often sell extra tickets to fans, and are not trying to make a profit.

Good luck.

Raia
Member # 4700

Elizabeth: Thanks so much, you're so helpful!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps for joy* [Big Grin]
Yay! I love their music! [Big Grin] My favorite song was Scarborough Fair. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Raia,
The word from my husband is NOT to go for any of the high price tickets. He got seventh row seats for BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE tonight(not that I am excited) just a few days ago, for 60 each.

He said to keep watching the auctions, and that in the last few days the scalpers get nervous, and unload their tickets at the last minute.

You will get there!

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My "Ticketbastard" meme is catching on!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Elizabeth, thanks so much!! *adds more to her notes*
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus,
Sorry, "Ticketbastard" is pretty standard language in the music fanatics circle.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.