FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why a 40 hour workweek?

Author Topic: Why a 40 hour workweek?
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, 30 years ago we were working 40 hour workweeks. Since then the productivity of an average hour of work has increased dramatically.

What this means is that we have three general options:
1. Consume more and work the same amount.
2. Consume the same amount and work less.
3. Something in between these two, involving more consumption and less work.

It appears, based on the fact that the average hours worked has not gone down during this time that we chose the first option. Productivity has mulitplied, but our consumption apparently has multiplied too, because we work the same amount of time.

My question is... Is this wise? Certainly, some things we now consume more of are worth it - such as better health care. However, as a general rule, it seems like the average American consumes too much stuff. We buy fancy cars, giant multimedia centers, and supersized fries. I don't believe these things provide us that much happiness. And the economic truth is that we could trade some of this less-than-neccessary 'stuff' for less hectic schedules and shorter workweeks. No? Many countries have done precisely that. But we seem to have fixed the workweek at 40 hours, and simply increase spending to compensate, even if we don't need to. Why not, instead, pass a 35-hour workweek law? Yes, it would mean less productivity and less consumption - but it would also mean we could consume more free time.

This argument falls apart for the poorer members of society, who have little consumption they can give up. But for the middle class at least, is consuming more stuff really worth the time it costs?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on salary and work a 35 hour workweek already. [Big Grin]

I much prefer this to working 60 hour weeks at my previous job. More stress. Sometimes more money, but it wasn't worth it. This is predictable and enjoyable.

And I don't have a giant multimedia center or a fancy car. I drive a KIA. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But for the middle class at least, is consuming more stuff really worth the time it costs?
Hmm... hence my dillemma about a different job.

I am really not challenged here anymore. There's the occasional wild stress, but not so much learning new things. I'd like to move, but...

I like my job. If I stay for business hours, I am here for 35 hours a week. (I'm here longer, but that's because I goof off a bit and stay longer to even things out.) I don't make as much as I would if I didn't work for a non-profit, but then, I LOVE working for a non-profit, and I really like the organization I work for. My boss is warm and fuzzy and now trusts me to do the occasional crazy thing. I'm even slowly persuading them to upgrade. I could much worse in terms of a boss. The purpose of the place isn't to make money - it is to make civilization. I really like that. There's little stress, but then, there's little opportunity for growth. If I want to be promoted and keep the same general job, someone around here is going to have to kick the bucket.

Hmm...

[ September 10, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It has to do with the Protestant work ethic gone mad, in my opinion. I know people who seriously think that anyone who doesn't work an 80-hour week is a slacker. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina, for goodness sake, if it's that good STAY!!! I have a good work environment now for the first time. I can only cross my fingers that it will stay that way. In my experience, a positive work environment is pretty much the rarest thing. Don't give it up!

As far as the other . . . I work like a dog when I'm working (officially 40 hours, but actually a lot more), but I have lots of time off each year. So I guess I don't have any perspective to talk about what the regular American's work week should be like.

But 35 hours a week sounds pretty good to me.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think 40 hours is the standard, it just fits with everything somehow without actually fitting, and people want to spend as much as they can. Its not like there aren't "middle class" in debt.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would I want to consume less? I LOVE my very big TV!

[Taunt]

Of course, technically my breadwinner (The Man) is at work 24/7/365 because he's military, so I guess he has the biggest workweek of all!!

We totally deserve the gihugeous TV. *grin*

And mack---I thought KIAs *were* fancy cars. *looks fondly at her Sportage*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a national maximum of 35 hours a week, with weekends and holidays off, and a month of paid vacation in August?

Oh wait, Mitterand already thought of that...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
paid vacation . . .

[Sleep] ::dreams::

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, actually, thanks. I don't know what working other places would be like. This is my first full-time job out of college, and I've been trying to figure out if earning more and getting promoted would be worth it. I guess it isn't, so I'll probably stay here until I go back to school.

Still... I like learning new things, and growing, and getting better, and my job isn't challenging at all. This just means I need challenges outside of work, and its harder for me to motivate myself to do it then.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have often thought about this as well. I think everyone should work about 6 to 7 hours a day, instead of 8. The one thing I hate about my job, is that I start at 7:30, work all the way until 4:30, and then drive like a maniac for an hour to get home at 5:30. Then, I have about a MAXIMUM of 5 hours to do anything. Those hours go by so fast, and I am back at work. It almost makes me want to change my lifestyle so much, that I don't need a real job, I dont know how to explain it, but it makes me want to move out to a farm or something, to where I would probably still work as much but would be more relaxed. Or, I know a guy from Romania, that comes and works in the US for 5 to 6 months, he works 10 hour days doing wood floor installations, but then he makes enough money for his family of 1 wife and 4 kids to live off of for the rest of the year. And they live pretty good. I think I might do something like that. [Smile]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys ought to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. Changed the way I thought about work. Wish I had read it 20 years ago, it probably would have changed the direction of what I choose for work.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446677450/qid=1063294937/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-7401425-9031054

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.