FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Want to know what happened on September 10th, 2001?

Author Topic: Want to know what happened on September 10th, 2001?
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really weird...

Two years ago to the day I was on an LDS Mission in Salem, Oregon, only a couple of months into the thing. I was walking around with a missionary who was even newer than me and we ran into this guy who was really rude, you know, in the "I'm better than you" kind of way.

The other missionary and I then had a conversation that is kind of strange, looking in hindsight. I told him that America was getting more and more prideful and that if we didn't change something bad was going to happen.... Like a war. [Frown] He agreed with me, and we both decided that a war was going to begin any time.

Although we came to this conclusion, I have to admit that I was surprised [Eek!] (and rather guilty [Cry] ) about what happened the following day.

So, that's my little story. That's weird, isn't it?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

On Sept 10, 2001, I talked my best friend out of committing suicide. He was put in the hospital the next morning. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's crazy, Ryan.

My little brother was in boot camp at the time in San Diego. The Marine Corps training center is right next to the San Diego airport, and on September 10 on of his drill instructors was "off on one of his usual rants" (in the words of my bro) and drew the recruits' attention to a plane ready to take off. "You know what that is, recruits?"
"An airplane?"
"That is a passenger-filled missle. That thing is full of explosive fuel, travels at hundreds of miles an hour, and any terrorist could steer it from the inside."

not a little bit eerie!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My journal entry for September 10, 2001: (edited for bad grammar and spelling and boring stuff)

I keep forgetting about my homework. It's not cool. Anyhow, I went to karate today, and I had school. My biology teacher Mr. V, is funny. He's a packer fan and the rest of the class are fans of the Vikings. They spent perhaps the first half-hour of class arguing about which team sucked. It was quite amusing for a casual observer like me.

I talked about this amputee show I saw on TV where people got limbs reattached when we started to talk about useful invertebrates like maggots and leeches. One of the girls in the class looked so ill, it was really quite amusing.

I started a comic! The first page is in progress! Woohoo! I'm even going to ink it! The thing I'm most looking forward to isn't making fans or money, (probably because that's unlikely to happen, especially the latter) it's improving my art. If the art's not too good, but the story is, that's excuseable, but I still want to improve. Maybe I'll get good enough to go pro! So many doors are opening to me, and I'm really quite pleased. LOL, maybe I'll do something worthwhile with my life.

AL

Is it any surprise that I never finished the comic? [Frown]

[ September 10, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
According to decades.com, this happened:

quote:
9/10/2001 Attorney General John Ashcroft rejected a proposed $58 million increase in FBI financing for counter-terrorism programs.
Doesn't it just figure?

Annie..."Right next to the airport" is right. Last year in April, I was at the MCRD to see my best friend's youngest son graduate from boot camp. We spent the time before the ceremony watching the planes take off, at the rate of about one a minute, it seemed like.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
September 11, I was in a two-hour pharmacy law class. We got a five-minute break in the middle, during which one of my classmates found out what was happening. We went back into class and told the teacher, asking if it would be okay if we found a television or radio so that we could get the whole story. He said, "oh, I'm sure it'll still be on when class is over" and proceeded to lecture for another hour. We had no further classes that day. It's true what they say about lawyers. I've never met a colder human specimen.

A couple days later, I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up the new book by The Onion, which had been released about a week before the incident. It contained the following story . I guess that's the strangest coincidence I noticed. Leave it to The Onion to write biting satire about an event that hasn't even happened yet.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
We had classes on 9/11 at my university and, honestly, I am glad that we did. I wouldn't have been able to handle having nothing to do that day, or in the days following. As it was, I pretty much avoided the television and radio that day and the several days after that. I would look in occasionally for five or ten minutes to see what was going on, but I couldn't stand any more of it than that at a time.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember on September 12th, I fell into this lethargy and slept for a while after school. I was heart-weary.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy stuff, everyone. Its a weird world.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was making plans with my sister to go out to lunch on Sep. 11 for my birthday. I was really looking forward to it.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.