FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I was two hours late for work yesterday

Author Topic: I was two hours late for work yesterday
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
...because I got into a six-car accident on 294.

Don't worry; I'm fine. So is the car. I was lucky enough to be at the head of the accident. There's a small ding in my bumper, but that's it. I had the least amount of damage.

The other cars were not so lucky. [Frown] Two of them are pretty much totalled. The rest were drivable, but have considerable dents or whatnot. Luckily, no one was seriously injured. A few people got bruised up, and one lady did elect to go to the hospital, but that was after she had already been standing around for an hour.

I got lucky. I really, really got lucky. I say this because I currently do not have car insurance. I had it up until a month ago. But I was late with my payments one too many times, and so they dropped me. I started looking for new insurance immediately, but didn't have the money to really follow through. And I kept forgetting about it. In a way, I'm almost glad this happened, because now I'm determined to get insured again quickly.

It was not very fun standing on the expressway in the sun for two and a half hours while the cops figured out exactly how it all happened. I still don't know what caused the traffic to slow down initially. I was able to stop in plenty of time, but I looked in my rearview mirror and knew there was going to be an accident. I pretty much watched the whole thing happened within a matter of seconds.

And I admit I was worried I would get a ticket or lose my license for not being insured. But hey, it's the law, and I would not have complained. In fact, when the cop asked me for my insurance card, I politely explained that I recently lost insurance and that if he needed to give me a ticket, that was fine. And I told him I stuck around because I knew it was the right thing to do. I have never, never left the scene of an accident, and never will. Heck, one time I hit a car in the parking lot, and left a note on their windshield.

Anyway. Does anyone have any recommedations for car insurance? I was with State Farm before. I tried getting a quote from Geico, but was surprised to find they were more expensive than State Farm was (I've been with State Farm forever, and had my condo insurance through them as well). My manager recommended Prudential. I think I might try Progressive.com and see what it finds. Anyone tried that?

You know, I wanted more excitement in my life, but this isn't really what I had in mind. *grin*

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

I'm glad you're ok.

I have always found Geico and Progressive to be very expensive, despite their slick commercials claiming the opposite. I have always done well with Nationwide, though. If you can avoid it, don't go with a no-name discount company. I did for years, and got adequate service too, but when I moved and they were no longer available, and I went with a legitimate insurer, I got penalized for having been with a discount insurer despite my spotless driving record.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I've found Geico to be the LEAST expensive. I'll be danged. [Wink]

Jebus, xnera.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, xnera. I'm so glad you're safe. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I have to contribute to this thread. All I know about insurance is that mine's due in a week... [Grumble]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad you are ok Xnera!

I'm with Bear River Mutuual, but it is a very exclusive group, extremely tight about who the keep, only the best of the best lowrisk types.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((xnera)))))

I know nothing about insurance. Well, except in NZ, which in all probability isn't helpful to you. So I shall refrain from commenting. Oh wait... [Razz]

Glad you're ok.

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm glad you're okay, too! What a fright!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had insurance with The Hartford (although the rates were good, they had some serious customer service issues), Austin Agency (they were good), and am currently with USAA (which is the best I've ever seen so far, but is exclusive to people in the military, and their offspring).

((xnera)) I'm sorry you got in an accident, but you really were fortunate that it was no serious damage to you or your vehicle. [Smile] Good luck finging insurance. Do you know an independant insurance agent (meaning they don't work for any insurance agency - and their commission is paid by the insurance company, not you) who could help you find a good deal for you? One of our family friends is an independant insurance agent and he is fabulous. Too bad you're not in AZ, or I'd hook you up with him.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also relieved you're okay.

Man.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you got into a car accident.... I love the title of this thread, though, for remembering how long you were unemployed and seeing you talk about being late for work...it just kind of makes me smile, happy that you have work to be late for.

Glad you're okay.

edited to clarify the thought since it could have been interpretted differently than I meant it.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oi, xnera. Even when those aren't serious for you, it leaves you all freaked out for the next little while. I'm glad you didn't get hurt, I hope you feel better.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
*Reaches for an expletive that hasn't been used yet*

Hizzango, Xerna, I'm glad you're safe! Accidents on highways suck...a good friend of mine actually had his first car totaled on 294 a few years ago.

I'm with Allstate right now, and they're pretty good. They've got good response in their claims department, and their rates are pretty darn good (it helps a bunch if you ensure a hunk o' junk, too [Wink] ) But their rates for full coverage for Vána's 5 year old car aren't too bad, either.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you and your car had minimal damage...

I like Allstate, but right now I have State Farm. American Family was good, too. Progressive and GEICO were expensive, and GEICO did NOTHING when I was hit by someone else.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I was with State Farm until I was able to get a group discount rate with Met through my work. But State Farm was great. Working with a local agent meant service that the toll-free phone line customer service Met will never match.

Edit: I've never had to make an insurance claim. I've never gotten a ticket, and I've never been in an accident. So I may not be the most reliable source. [Smile]

[ September 11, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.