FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (but WAIT! It isn't over YET!) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (but WAIT! It isn't over YET!)
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for such a crappy, crap-ass time, Mack. Hope things look up for you, and you can clear things up with the collector's/mother thing.

((((((((((MACK))))))))))

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Mack))))
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((mack))) You will hold the record forever in my mind for having had the crappiest day ever. And let no one take that from you.

I have a very religious friend who wouldn't hesitate to pray for you, yea even on the spot. If you told her you were feeling bad or upset, she would pull you into a corner and say a prayer for you or with you (not without your permission of course). I saw her do it a couple times (she was discreet, I'm just observant) and I always felt like the person she was praying for must have felt just a tiny bit better. I don't know if it means anything to you mack, cause I don't know you all that well, but I just had my own little prayer for you. And I even referred to you as Jamie. [Smile] If that doesn't help make you feel a little better, that's ok. I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you.

((((((mack)))))))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
THE DAY ISN'T OVER YET!

Dad just called. [Eek!]

Of course, he only called because his mother told him to. Weenie.

He did inform me that:
1. my mother took and cashed all my savings bonds.
2. my mother sold the stamp collection I'd inherited from my great grandfather.
3. he'd been getting weird collection agency phone calls, too.

Five and a half hours left until tomorrow. I wonder what ELSE will happen.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, and I thought my mother was bad. 16 freakin' cards!! Good lord. I suggest you read up on identity theft, you will probably need to take out affadavits and crap like that.

Get a credit check as soon as possible, with all 3 credit agencies, see how bad the damage is. Next time the weird guys call, deny the debt and ask for a letter explaining where the debt is from. This is your right under federal law. Also, if they keep bugging you after you have denied the debt (maybe in writing), they are subject to nasty fines.

I suggest you get the credit checks, then call or write the collectors back, and if you didn't charge it, it's not your debt. Period.

I'll add a good link here later.

Good Luck, mac. Illegitimi Non Carborundum. "Don't let the bastards grind you down"

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Angst] [Frown]

(((((Mack)))))

Sorry I have nothing useful to add. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of ya. (((((Mack)))))

[ September 11, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: tonguetied&twisted ]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Mad] ((((Mack))))
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I'm sorry your day sucked so much.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Mack!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels sick for mac* That's horrible. [Frown]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, mack.

I love you. That's all I got. It's not much, but it's yours. *shyly hands mack the little package wrapped slightly funny and covered in tape*

That's horrible and bad and very very horrible. You should definitely check your credit and document everything and remember that we love you.

(((gentle hugs without quite touching)))

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
mac -
I think you should file charges against your mother and send her to the "big house"! After everything you've said she's done to you as a child and now currently, she deserves it.

I don't care about any sentimental stuff - you need to get her to a place where she can't keep this up. Look what she's done to you - just today! I am very lawsuit shy - but short of "eliminating" her, she needs to be someplace where she can't do this to ANYONE! Much less YOU!

((((mac)))

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Consumer Report's credit reports page, with links to all three credit reporting companies. You might get free reports if you hunt around.

clarkhoward.com page on identity theft Clark has a great radio show where he gives out consumer tips and advice. I forgot this part:

quote:
• If you're a victim of identity theft, get a police report from your local police department, ask each of the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit report, and fill out affidavits of fraud with each company that issued credit in your name. Keep these documents forever.
Note that this could lead to your mother going to jail...tough call. She sounds like she deserves it, but she's a relative. If you want to follow through but some relatives are totally against that, ask them to make good on all or part of what your mother stole.

If I was you, I'd definitely put out fraud alerts to the 3 credit reporters.

(((mac)))

[ September 11, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geez, mack... I agree. Definitely do something about this. That's not fair and it's not legal and it's not SANE.

(BTW, excellent children's book reference)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. And more.

I decided to try a new razor for shaving. The Intuition...don't have to use gel, etc 'cause it's got this block of stuff 'round it.

Yeah.

My legs are all hacked up. Know how you do NOT press hard with a new blade? You have to with this to get the gel to foam up and work. So you get nicely hacked up legs.

Mmmmm.

The top of my left foot was bleeding like a stuck pig.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I could try to fly in and kick you in the shins, mack-daddy, but I'd probably not make it in until tomorrow. [Frown]

So, instead I'll just [Kiss] you.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((mack)))))
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

...and now I have cooties. [Mad]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Mack)))))

Thinking of you, kid.

P.S. Did you get the edit I sent?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
...and now I have cooties. [Mad]
Oh, quit yer bitchin', woman.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((((((Mack)))))))))))))))))))
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oi, mack. Chiming in to give more hug and support vibes.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bad day?
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--

Want me to go on?

Because I can.

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's a bad day?
Are you trying to be funny? Because that's honestly as rude as some of the things I have seen on Hatrack, and I ask that you quit being a jerk. Nobody wants to hear your crap.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she just forgot to include a smiley, is all.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, didn't mean to be such a jerk! Something about the complaining about traffic and a dance class and a lousy lunch just didn't seem like the end of the world to me, especially on a day like 9-11.

If no one's dead, in the hospital, or in jail, it's generally a good day for me. [Smile] I missed the part about your doctor. I hope whatever your medical condition is, it isn't serious.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Another skimmer! Her mom might be in jail soon. Did no one watch The General's Daughter? It had one of the best lines in it. The crime worse than murder.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
qsysue:
quote:
My grandmother then tells me that my mother has SIXTEEN maxed out credit cards. SIXTEEN. Not to mention money she's swindled from family members (we're talking thousands of dollars).

My mother knows my social security number. She's done this with my father, taken out cards in his name.

Apparently, she's done the same with me.

quote:
He did inform me that:
1. my mother took and cashed all my savings bonds.
2. my mother sold the stamp collection I'd inherited from my great grandfather.
3. he'd been getting weird collection agency phone calls, too.

Plus doctor stuff. Sugar, you can't just imply that her day wasn't so bad when you didn't bother to read the info. Really, it's not done. [Smile]

[ September 11, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

- posted      Profile for 2   Email 2         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac,

If I am known as anything around here, it is surely as The Flake of Hatrack -- that is, I come, I go, and I remain altogether inconsistent with my reading and posting. I have both reasons and excuses, and I will not be so bold as to believe that anobody cares what they are. My only point, so far, is that I do not know much about you, or of this illness you mention. And I sincerely am sorry -- I wish I knew more.

Now, that said, on with my reply.

I have days entirely like that. Everything goes wrong. Sometimes I position myself, emotionally, to where I can laugh at the absurdity of it all. It can range anywhere from sitcom-episode-quality to Chris-Farley-SNL-sketch quality. But Goodness knows that there are days when it gets to me to the core.
I have had those days. I understand.

Some of those things, like the tire (one of those absolute absurdities), or the lunch, are not so bad. They are the things that make people refer to "one of those days." The fact that they happened on this day in particular make everything about the day that much worse, and I half-heartedly believe that it cannot be avoided. Those Things happen on These Days.

Now the bigger things... Wow. Yeah, those are the things that can really get us down. That is nothing if not understandable. But Morbo came through with The Good Advice.

I assume that when you wake up tomorrow, the little things will have dissolved. You will wake up with the larger things on your mind, but hopefully you will recognize this Good Advice and take it. Get on top of your problems first thing in the morning, and you will feel like the world. And you will feel like the world is good.

I hope you are sleeping now, are sleeping well. And I hope I am right about these things.

But even if you are not asleep, even if I am not right...

I hope you have a good day.

[ September 12, 2003, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: 2 ]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

OK Nick, I was wrong.

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Not to dogpile you, qsysue, but Nick and CT were right: get a clue. The traffic, dance class, and a lousy lunch were probably comic relief compared to potentially deciding to either press felony charges against your own mother, or coming up with who knows who much money to cover her mother's theft of her identity and writing off her other losses.

If you put all that mess in a screenplay, it wouldn't be believeable, it's too much.

The weird thing is, you still didn't get it after being called on it.

mackillian
Member # 586

I wish it worked like that, I really do.

I've gone for four days with about six hours of sleep (better that last week of 5 days and none at all).

It's a symptom of my illness. An illness that, if it can't be stabilized, can lead to death.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{Mack}}}

I've had to deal with potential identity theft, but not due to one of my own family members. That's like rubbing an already painful paper cut with salt then lemon juice. Yikes!

I agree with Morbo. Call the three credit bureaus and have them put an alert on your credit and identification. This should keep anyone from opening new accounts with your ssn since they must notify you first and get your permission to do so. They should also send you a credit history report for free for your perusal and give you steps on how to go about starting up investigations into the suspicious activities. I would also call your bank and notify them of any potential identification fraud.

And of course, ask questions.

Unfortunately, these steps may lead to some bad consequences for your mother. (They've already led some for you.)

Oh... and I like dancing, but what were they thinking with placing the class in the raquette ball court!!! That's just wrong. Tell them to dance in the streets (or at least the parking lot). They used to do it all the time on Fame.

Hehehe... your title reminds me of that kid story, or was it a poem... oh well.

I hope tomorrow goes better for you.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a book.

Hope tomorrow is a good day, mack. You're due one. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
;_; Mackie, don't die...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to burn something in effigy in your honor.

Always works for me.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

mac - I know I'm an old, out of the loop, fogey, so bear with me when I ask what IS this illness you have?

I'm not being butinsky, but honestly perplexed as to what it could be and why the doctors can't do more for you.

If it's exacerbated by stress, then it'd be hard for you to take my advice and follow through prosecuting your mother in an effort to protect yourself in the future. But it also makes me more angry that the adults in your family did not prevent this from happening to you!

Of course it is HARD to send a relative to jail or an institution, BUT being unwilling to make the hard choices ourselves means that more people can potentially be hurt and that someone else down the line will have to face that choice.

It SHOULD NOT have had to be the "child".

So I hope that you are okay, and whatever your illness is - I'll pray for you.

[Group Hug]

ps: maybe I'll burn something too like Annie just b/c it might make me feel better

[ September 12, 2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: KEGE ]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
She's bi-poplar.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That's right. I have two poplars in my backyard.

Oh wait...I live in the city...

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty firmly into today now. I hope things are going better for you so far.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
((Mack)) Doesn't it suck how life seems to kick you when you are already down? This summer I kept thinking, Well it can't get any worse, the worst has already happened. And then another thing would pile on top. It feels like the light at the end of the tunnel is the train. But there is really light and fresh air at the end after you crawl out from under the train, even if you are all dusty and beaten up and sooty. The grime does come off, it just takes a while.

I love ya!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
mac, I'm right there with ya'

Strength--because I know you are strong.

((((Jamie))))

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

(((((MACK))))) Have a better day, eh?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
what IS this illness you have?
She's in love with me, but she can't have me and it's slowly killing her inside.

Stop this mad obsession, mack-daddy, before it destroys us both! [Angst]

Damien
Member # 5611

O_O
KEGE
Member # 424

ralphie,

i'm glad you didn't say that you WERE the illness! I'd hate to think of you like that!

mac - thanks for answering about your two trees. My dad had two trees also. I'll talk more about it in your lithium thread. Hope today is better.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
((Jamie)) come to Tucson, we can hang out, have lunch (my treat) and think of other fun things to do....

Hope your day is better and I second Morbo's advice.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about your day. Sounds almost as bad as Alexander's. But what people didn't have was the heart to tell him that things could be just as bad, sometimes, in Australia.

Not only that, but the good days there (US) can be also be just as awesome as the good days here (Oz). Good days come, give you great memories, leave for a bit, and then come back again. It's the memories that are important, for they get us through the bad days.

Here's hoping the good lights up the bad in your life.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Hail] Ralphie
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.