FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

Author Topic: National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a meeting at a school today for a client. Two advocates from NAMI attended for my client's sake.

I love those people. They knew what the laws grant mentally ill kids in the school system, and knew how to get the school to follow the law instead of weaseling out of it.

It was beautiful to see.

If we hadn't been there, the teachers were going to lay everything at this student's feet and insist that it's her fault that she can't handle it.

Which is crap. DOCUMENTED crap, mind you.

Glad they were there to be the "bad cop" to my agency's "good cop."

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[[mixed feelings]]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Another victory for the mentally ill.

Question. Are you a lawyer? and if so Do you enjoy it?

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, Icky. I did think of you. [Frown] It isn't the teachers that are the problem, most times. Usually it's the special ed director.

Ryan: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [ROFL]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Guessin that's a no.

Probably should have remembered who I was talking to.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that every kid, including the special ed kids, gets the educational opportunities that they deserve.

How would you respond to this:
I was working with my nephew trying to make sure he didn't fail any classes at the end of last school year (he had completely flunked one quarter).

I asked his science teacher to please email me at the start of each unit with the list of all assignments and their due dates so I could keep on top of it (she wasn't very good at communicating assignments and due dates).

She did not respond to the email, so I dropped in and asked in person.

She said no. She said that she had to send so many emails for the "mainstreamed" special ed kids that she just refused to send me any email at all.

I reported that to the principal, who was not thrilled.

It was as if she was saying "it's these special ed kids' fault that I am so lazy that you have to pry me off my butt with at stick."

He got an A out of her class. No thanks to her.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foobonic
Member # 5149

- posted      Profile for foobonic           Edit/Delete Post 
/me pockets this information for the next time he has to fight for his brothers right to get an education.

saddly to say he will never really benefit from school, like future "handicapped" children (hopefully) will.

thanks mack... its people like you who give people like me the power to pick up a ruler and smack the people like them (can you tell i dislike the director) on the hand and say "i dont know kung fu but i know crazy, help me educate my bro or im calling (insert name of power agency here)! [No No] "

Posts: 40 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet William, if you asked me for this, I would say no. For one thing, I only plan a week in advance, so I don't have handy what assignemts I'm going to be giving next week. For another, I would rather find a way of communicating and helping the kid stay organized that doesn't displace the responsibility from him to me. Like, him having a homework pad which he brings to me for initialing at the end of each period, with the knowledge that Mom and Dad will be on his case if he comes home without that signature. In my experience, parents often assume that teachers have absolutely nothing else to do, and can think of no reason why we would not want to assume the responsibilities that should belong to our students other than laziness.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I also would have suggested a homework pad. They work wonders, I've seen. [Smile]
foobonic
Member # 5149

- posted      Profile for foobonic           Edit/Delete Post 
icarus, you are right. 100%... im just venting my frustrations with a praticular special education director who doesnt seem to direct crap.

man i really feel sorry for our kids now =/ thinking back to having funds for woodshop, ham radio class, etc.

beyond the DEEPER issues of budget cut backs and the why's...

i respect teachers like the mentors they are. after talking to some of my old teachers at my old high school, they all seem to just have no hope or will.

hrm... give a teacher a hug day. that would be cute and oh so funny =)

enough rambling.

Posts: 40 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.