FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Apologies and Explanations

Author Topic: Apologies and Explanations
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to offer my apologies for my outbursts this afternoon, and, hopefully, an explanation.

There are things I cannot help but see...injustice, evil, or little things like apathy or intolerance. And being 16, and more than a little bit idealistic...these are things I want to fix. I want to make it right. And I can't. I run up against the fact that...often I can't articulate what I feel clearly. When I can...it often doesn't help. Sometimes people just don't look at things the way I do, don't see what I see. It frustrates the hell out of me. I get frustrated, get pissed off...and I do what I did. I snap, I yell, I fume. Sometimes, I say things anyway, hoping that maybe someone will hear, someone will change, someone will stand up and say 'I hear you, I believe what you believe, you are not alone'. It doesn't happen that way either.

I can't not see what I see, feel how I feel. I can't just shut up either. I keep reminding myself of the quote 'Evil prospers when good men do nothing'. And I keep speaking up, and speaking out, and paying the price. But I did not mean to offend, to shock, to insult. All I ask is that you of Hatrack accept my apology, and, perhaps...understand a little bit of why I keep speaking...

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it might not have anything to do with being 16. Or, maybe I'm just really immature. But, I know how you feel. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you Human. I don't know if I believe in what you believe exactly, but I believe in you. You're not alone. I know where you are right now. I've been there. It gets better.

I keep on trying to come up with the right bit of advice, but everything I say is striking me as hollow. I'll see if I can do better later.

[ September 12, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see what you are apologizing for, Human, but you know that I've got your back. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Human))))))))))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
No! We don't forgive you! We hate you! All sixteen years of you!

Heh. Dude. You have nothing to apologize for that I've seen.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I disagree with you, Human, I respect you for speaking out. The louder you are, the more I trust you.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I do that all the time.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug* The passion is good. You are good. Keep fighting, and Hatrack is great at helping refine the expression of your ideals.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Human,
I think the best I can say is that right now you're in a stage. It's the angry young mn stage and it's an important one. Go with it if you feel you must, but it's important to realize that it is a stage. As in, something that is part of a progression towards something else. There is a lot of important things that can happen because of the intense anger and frustration you feel right now, and you should be true to that if you feel it, but hopefully there will come a time when you let that anger go. If you're lucky, even with your anger gone (or reduced at least), your passion will remain. The anger can spur you into a stage of questioning and ardent participation. That's great, but it can also cloud your vision and make you waste your time in pointless action.

I know you are hurt by the way the world is. I feel the same pain myself. Hopefully you'll come to realize, after this important stage to go through, that this pain doesn't have to make you angry, if you don't let it.

Also, and this may sound a little condscending, you're 16. Changing the world isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Don't burn yourself out just when you're starting. It may not seem this way right now, but I believe that you are going to be better served later if you take some time to just be 16 right now. I think you'll be better off when you get to be an old fogey like myself.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
But it is a sprint (or was)

You're only sixteen ! You don't need to apologize for anything ! Frustration ! This is a GOOD GOOD thing -

Don't trust anyone over 14
We have sold the world.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.