FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John Ritter dead at 54

Author Topic: John Ritter dead at 54
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
John Ritter, star of "Three's Company," dies of heart problem
John Ritter, whose portrayal of the bumbling but lovable Jack Tripper helped make the madcap comedy series "Three's Company" a smash hit in the 1970s, has died of a heart problem, his publicist said today. He was 54.

Ritter fell ill Thursday on the set of his ABC sitcom "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," said Susan Wilcox, his assistant of 22 years.

This is not turning out to be a good day...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially not for anyone named John.

Hmm. . . Ashcroft?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's so unexpected. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Cash also died.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R,

Are pulling one of those Pat Robertson things here?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Moi?

Never.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanno, talk about a guy who lived a life, though. His father was a famous movie cowboy, but John himself went on to become a household name/face in his own right.

While Three's Company was his big hit (for TV), I really liked his show in the '90s, Hearts Afire.

When you look at his work, he borrowed a lot from early TV comedians like Dick van Dyke, but added his own flair and managed to stay current through what, three decades? Not too shabby.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
And I liked 8 Simple Rules too, IMO it was one of the better sitcoms out there.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, his birthday was going to be Wednesday.

And you know what really sucks? Not only was his 5 year old unlucky enough to share her birthday with 9/11, but now it's also the day her dad died. [Frown]

I'd forgotten he was married to Amy Yasbeck. Their daughter is adorable. That is just so sad. [Frown]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I feel like going out and renting Hero at Large. I know it's kind of a cheesy movie, but I like it.

But I have a feeling he's not going to escape the aorta thing like he did the bullet and the fire.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was a dream... Damn you, radio! Being on while I'm asleep. ;_; Poor guy. What a way to go...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I had THE BIGGEST crush on John Ritter as a kid when he was on Three's Company. He was cute and had great comedic timing. What's not to love?

[Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So young, and so suddenly. [Cry]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really surprised by this one, and quite saddened at the same time. I have quite fond memories of syndicated reruns of "Three's Company" and always thought he had great comedic delivery. And while it is always hard to tell, he really seemed like a very genuine and kind person, one of those "celebrities" you feel like you can actually like.

I also enjoyed "8 Simple Rules" both because of its family frienly wit, and as the father of 2 daughters who I am sure will be at that stage before I know it.

He will be missed in our house. (Wonders what will happen to Clifford)

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Actually, he did a really good movie called, I think, The Man Who Loved Women. There is a take-off in it of the light saber bit in Star Wars that is hilarious.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Skin Deep.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

:blush:

Yep.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy, that scene is one of the funniest on film, I think. I remember seeing it in the theater and just about falling on the floor laughing.

He's certainly left a legacy.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I have absolutely no recollection of what that movie was even about, but I remember that scene. Screening night was hoot for that. We literally had people rolling of the floor.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. [Frown] He was just at Disneyland the same day we were for the ABC Prime Time Weekend thingy. Freaky.

quote:
And while it is always hard to tell, he really seemed like a very genuine and kind person, one of those "celebrities" you feel like you can actually like.

Absolutely. We will mourn Clifford the Dog as well. [Frown]

I actually didn't think he was a brilliant comic, but he came off as a very warm and nice person. It's actually a compliment, in a very backhanded way: I don't think he was a good enough actor to possibly have been faking. I think he was genuine.

He also had a movie, with Michal McKeon (sp?) as the devil, kind of like a kid-friendly Amazon Women on the Moon. That was a very cute movie. Wish I could remember what it was called.

[Frown]

This year has been something else.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you thinking of Stay Tuned?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. This is just too sad. So many great entertainment people lost this year so far.

He was just restarting his TV career... again. How many people in TV have had those opportunities. Despite the fact that I didn't catch his new show often, when I did watch it I found it amusing and clever. His character's relationship with his growing teenage daughters was hilarious and heart-warming.

He will definitely be missed.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

That's the one.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard he was also the voice of Clifford on PBS (the big red dog). A whole other generation of people that will miss him.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
He was also in the movie version of the play,"Noises Off". Has anyone ever seen it? I think it's hilarious. I've seen the play several times and never seen an actor play the part of Garry as well as Ritter did in the movie. What a sad day.

[ September 12, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Juliette ]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to give my condolences to Clifford here. I liked Ritter in many of his other roles, but my first thought was that our boy will miss Clifford if he goes. [Frown]

By the way, a spin-off of "Clifford", called "Clifford's Puppy Days" comes on PBS on Wednesdays. My guess is that they will just make that their prime show and let "Clifford" go.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I doubt it. Clifford was a book series before it was a cartoon, IIRC. The books are way too popular to drop in favor of a spinoff. They seem to be at the height of their popularity, actually.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean the show. I think they'll make more "Clifford's Puppy Days" episodes and keep going with that. Remember, the book series had just as many "little red puppy" stories as it did "big red dog" stories. We have several.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.