FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Understanding Us.

Author Topic: Understanding Us.
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest things I ever recieved from reading a Card novel was my ideas on Free Will.

We choose everything.
Everything.
What we do.
What we say.
How we react.

Nothing is beyond our control.

Noone can force us to do anything.

If we choose to compitulate with someone's threat, plea, request, order, wish, or tantrum. It is only because I trully wanted to.

We have never been forced to do any thing in our lives.

We chose the action we want based on our own control over our fear of the consequenses.

When we understand this and understand why we chose each of the actions we have taken in our lives (and I mean fully understand) then we have a greater chance of understanding ourselves and those around us.

Once we are able to achieve this them we will be able to move towards creating a planet where all can live and be happy and tolerant.

[Group Hug]

[ September 15, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing is beyond our control.
Tell that to the Jews of the Holocaust.

What you're saying is a corruption of the same observations Viktor Frankl made about life. He was a Jewish doctor in a concentration camp, and there he observed that while he had no control over the physical circumstances of his life, he still had a fundamental freedom that all humans possess: the power to choose. In the fraction of a second between stimulus and response, we have the power to choose. It's like a muscle...you have to exercise it. At first, the abilities toward true self control are weak, and instead of action, we have reaction.

But even with perfect self-control, it doesn't mean that nothing is beyond our control. That's absurd.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren,
That's one of the best explanations of that idea that I've ever seen. Thank you.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Thank you, but I can't take credit for it. I keep wanting to read Frankl's book but haven't gotten to it yet. That description comes from Stephen Covey, who was describing Frankl's work. I was summarizing what Covey wrote. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get around to reading it - and you should, it's wonderful, in a very disturbing way -, I recommend Erich Fromm's Escape from Freedom as a very good companion book.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Jeniwren.

I understand what you are saying but it also a very good example of what I am talking about.

Many people choose to let the Nazi's think they had control over them, while the entire time they we in control over their own actions. They exercised their free will and they kept their dignaty, Humanity, and even hope. When pushed too far, the acted and accepted what punishment they received freely but of their own free will.
At the same time many gave up and lost all hope dignity and humanity.

Many people fear death more than they fear a loss of humanity and dignity.
How many people compramise who they are out of fear over what the consequenses may be.

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Thanks! I will!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to think that Yebor's post was perfectly complementary to Frankl's work . It happens to be one of my favorite books of all time, and I think his basic premise is central to a lot of the same themes we see in OSC.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
If I turn around and you're twenty feet behind me, pointing a gun, I don't have enough time to react before you shoot me. I can jump away, bang I'm dead. I can charge at you, bang I'm dead. Does that mean I let you shoot me? I chose to die? I don't get it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
<-----read the Franklin Covey book from which that was taken; liked it very much.
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Always the eyes watching you and the voice enveloping you. Asleep or awake, working or eating, indoors or out of doors, in the bath or in bed -- no escape. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimetres inside your skull.

-from George Orwell's 1984

I love this quote. It shows that even in the most unimaginably controlling of circumstances, those "few cubic centimetres inside your skull" are still yours.

I read an interesting quote by Bono in U2 at the End of the World about his experiences in Sarajevo. The people there have quite a penchant for dark humor, because, he says, "humor is the ultimate human freedom."

Attitude, humor; these are the things that can never be constrained.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
*** 1984 Spoilers ***

Annie, your point from 1984 is refuted in the same book. Ultimately, not even those few centimeters of space in your skull are sacred.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Are those your only two options Move or stand still.

And by the way

how did your free will get you into the situation in the first place.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My free will didn't "get" me into anything. Yours did.

I'm not too light in the skull to understand the premise. I just disagree with it.

So what if I have more options? If you are determined to shoot me and I'm too far away to stop you, or my attempts to stop you do not phase you, then I have no choice but to get shot.

[ September 15, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Sombody hug annie for me
[Group Hug]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

quote:
If we choose to compitulate with someone's threat, plea, request, order, wish, or tantrum. It is only because I trully wanted to.
Actually, robey, the reason I refuted what you were saying was to show the absurdity of the above quote.

Most people do not realize they have as many choices as they do in most situations. It takes thought, which in the heat of the moment is pretty darned difficult to come by. If I have a gun pressed to my forehead, I have a lot of choices, but at that moment, it sure isn't going to *feel* like it. To capitulate at that moment and give the guy my money, and possibly my cooperation while he rapes me, doesn't mean I truly wanted it that way. It means that I wanted it more than I wanted to be dead, and I couldn't see any other options at that moment.

In other words, capitulation doesn't equate desire or intent. The danger to what you're saying is a loss of compassion. I truly believe that self-control does a lot for a person's happiness and well being, but I don't believe that when someone is struggling with a bad situation they "wanted it [to be] that way".

Bokonon
Member # 480

Yes, Yebor, sometimes you are just talking on a pay phone when you get a hunting rifle slug through your skull.

In that particular instant, you have no choice. In the moments leading up? Sure, but that doesn't seem to be your argument.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Thats why i said i understood your point jeniwren.

But i also stand firm by the thought that your own choices put you there and instead of looking for the worst and giving up look for the best and strive.

Hell I fail at that all the time

it is a never ending task

But i have to gert off the comps today so i will expounbd ny own views and cite more of what i am striving for tommorow

IE: The BIG PICTURE or How WE CAN START BRINGING ABOUT THE COMPLETION OF THE HUMAN POTENTIAL SO WE AN BE MORE THAN HAIRLESS APES

or something like that

I only try to make us all better
and by us all I mean evryone alive today right down the line to everyone alive a billion gadzillion trimpty trillion googgleying years from now

"The King cares only for the kings house"
"The kings house is all the world"

I believe we should all act like kings.

Thank you Uncle Orson for Wyrms during my formulative years.

And for everyother work I have read by you.

They make sense to me because they seem true

Bokonon
Member # 480

So you are building some arcane lattice for justifying being an optimist?

-Bok

Yebor1
Member # 1380

I justify nothing

I simply state what i believe

[Hat]

[ September 16, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh I see, you're trying to define a rationale for an optimistic existentialist.

Carry on.

-Bok

Yebor1
Member # 1380

Are you sure?

[Hat]

Bokonon
Member # 480

What woould it matter. After all, I certainly can't justify you.

-Bok

Yebor1
Member # 1380

"jeniwren
Member # 2002

posted September 15, 2003 01:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, robey, the reason I refuted what you were saying was to show the absurdity of the above quote."

Jeni I do not believe my quote is absurb.

Sure any idea can be challenged and tested and stressed at the extreme spectrum.

I am simply dealing with everyday life and how we react to each other and the basic situations we find ourselves confronted with everyday.
[Hat]

[ September 16, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Yebor1
Member # 1380

Shoo fly shoo you only show your own ignorance and lack of maturity by trying to get my goat.\

I don't own any.

[Hat]

Bokonon
Member # 480

As you do by trying to get mine. Sorry if you take simple inquisitiveness as attack.

You sure you know which path you're on?

[Smile]

-Bok

Yebor1
Member # 1380

I never used the word attack

[Smile]
"posted September 15, 2003 02:29 PM
So you are building some arcane lattice for justifying being an optimist?

-Bok

In answer to your question.......no

Member # 480

posted September 16, 2003 11:09 AM
Oh I see, you're trying to define a rationale for an optimistic existentialist.

Carry on.

-Bok

In answer to your statement .....no

Member # 480

posted September 16, 2003 11:14 AM
What woould it matter. After all, I certainly can't justify you.

-Bok

felt like an attack to my I apologize for
misunderstanding your true intention.

Member # 480

posted September 16, 2003 11:23 AM
As you do by trying to get mine. Sorry if you take simple inquisitiveness as attack.

You sure you know which path you're on?

-Bok

Oh i haven't once tried to get your's. I was simply and perhaps in a poor way letting you know that your arguments meant very little to me because they felt less than constructive and rather poorly thought out as might a wordy teen use in talking to his parents or teachers who he felt he was superior to. My mistake So sorry Yadda Yadaa yadda

That time I was trying to get your goat see the difference. Bye bye now
buh bye
buhhhhh byeeee
see ya
go play with your lincoln logs now

[Party] [Hat]

Bokonon
Member # 480

I see, so because you misinterpreted ME, I'm immature.

I'm glad you finally answered some of my earlier questions, but I still think you are spreading a gospel, not proposing an opinion to critique.

Oh and here's a further critique... Some psychological experiments have shown that you will respond to an image or something similar, with SOLELY your low level brain functions, before the higher cognitive sections recognize the situation.

And yes, I will try and look for these experiments. But if this is true, would you admit that this is a blow to your system?

-Bok

Yebor1
Member # 1380

Who said I had to have an opinion to be critiqued?

So what if I try to spread my own king of gospel?

Did anyone say hey only critiqueable opionions in this forum?

shhh now

go play with your teenage mutant ninja turtle.

Bokonon
Member # 480

Gladly!

-Bok

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Given enough time and resources, anyone can be broken. Given enough time and resources, anyone can be corrupted.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
It would also be kind of difficult to think for yourself if your brain was in a frying pan. Hmmm...that's poorly exercised - out of date - on back order, etc.
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
*yawns*

zzzzzzz

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
The last four words of 1984 were Winston's epitaph:

"He loved Big Brother."

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I'd probably have no problem with the frying pan if the heat wasn't on [Hat]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Maureen Janay, no need to emphasize the point... [Razz]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

[Wink] Robey
Yebor1
Member # 1380

weezy [The Wave] [Party] [Hat]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

[Smile]
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I would have no trouble if the hat was on
[Hat]

wieczorek
Member # 5565

I thought it resembled a frying pan! [Big Grin]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, Robey. Way to be a lame-o to Bokonon.

Don't you think you're dismissive attitude was just a smidgeon arrogant and uncalled for? There are better ways to argue than saying, impolitely, "Shoo."

Your sandbox is not the more mature of the two.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Once again I have been spanked by ralphie

[Cry]

Leave it to her to eternally spank me.

[Hat]

I am in your debt madam and i do appologize for any vacuous statements made in the morn

[Monkeys]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Bok's reply. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
The only interesting thing in this thread is the fact that Yebor made a vague reference to the TMNT's.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Robey, sometimes it's scary how easily you cave to me.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Ralphie love

Resurrection in two minutes

Cave my ass I just work from different angles

Aquiesence has never been agreement or total surrender.

[Wink] [Hat]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The only things I fear are things I cannot prevent or somehow do anything about.

I will often come down twice at night to check everything is off.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

thats not fear that paranoia

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.