FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Waking up from dreams

Author Topic: Waking up from dreams
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a scene where my character wakes up from a dream.

I have a question.

We see it often enough, but I've never experienced it. Someone still thinks they are in the dream as they wake themselves up. An example is of someone who wakes up clawing and screaming...

There is the jerk to catch yourself from falling dream, but I understand the falling is only a reaction to a twitch that was too large. You know, how you twitch when you enter REM sleep, and sometimes it isn't a twitch but a large jerk.

Having someone wake you up in the middle of a nightmare doesn't count. You are still in your dream, until an alarm or someone wakes you up.

I always have some kind of grey, in between time. Coming to conciousness time as the dream fades and reality happens. Only if I'm in the middle of a dream and reality intrudes: alarm clock for instance, is there some overlap between dream and reality. But it is always the reality overlapping into the dream. Never the dream overlapping into reality.

There is sleepwalking too. But then you are still asleep and dreaming.

You can scream in your sleep too, but I understand that unless you wake up the person they fall silent and don't even remember what made them scream.

Okay, to put it more clearly, does anybody wake up by themselves in the midst of the dream, physically reacting to the dream?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I have definately woken myself out of a dream purposefully before. Several times. I realize that I'm dreaming (it's usually a boring, repetetive, embarrasing thing), then I force myself awake.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I have a recurring dream where I'm walking down a set of squeaky stairs. With each step, the groaning of the stair gets louder. After a few steps, the stair breaks under my foot and I jerk awake.

I learned a while ago that what's really happening is that I'm snoring. My snores are getting louder. Until I wake myself up.

Fortunately for my husband, it doesn't happen very often. I don't usually snore.

Is that what you're looking for?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Once last year I had a dream and didn't like the ending. So I had a "director's cut" of the dream, with a different ending. True story. But now I can't remember what the dream was about, just that I edited it. [Grumble] [Sleep]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is why people like to keep dream journals, Morbo.

One of the clues in your dream, jeni, is that you jerked awake. This would probably be part of the twitching that is part of the REM transition both into and out of deep sleep.

Do people snore in deep sleep?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.