FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Waking From Fiction

Author Topic: Waking From Fiction
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I had some time between classes and was reading "The Call Of Earth" when suddenly I realized class was about to start and I needed to go to the room. It was like waking from a strange dream in a way.

It really does remind me of waking from a dream, not just any dream, but one of those dreams that I didn't realize was a dream at first, the ones I want to finish because the alarm went off before I knew what was going to happen. Maybe even the rare occassion where I didn't realize it was a dream until I woke from it.

This is not an isolated insident for me, often I get a strange feeling or mindset that the real world is some how less material, less important, or even makes less sense when I am suddenly forced to abandon vivid fiction and return to my boring reality. It even has a sort of disappointment as if I somehow expected to be a primary figure in Basilica's struggle when I put my book down, but instead I found myself in my normal life.

I'm guessing that it is not good to get this lost in books, but am I the only one who does? Have you ever thaught, or who cares about this meating I have to see if Quentin will beat the witch, yes great log as x aproaches 0 but will Bean and Petra be safe in Brazil, or I know how to use that computer program but what I don't know is if the bird children will get out of the hospital alive.

Just wondering if I am the only to ever get so into a book that it's events over shadow real ones, at least for a couple of minutes.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I fell asleep once in third grade...ah, but now I remember that I wasn't really asleep, I just didn't want to take a math quiz! How the memories are flooding back!
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Sometimes I expect the concerns and speech patterns and discourse markers of the current novel I'm reading (if it's a good novel) to be part of waking life. The sensation's only temporary, but it's there.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I don't have it happen very often, in fact rarely. I do not know why it occurs other than to speculate it results from excellent writing and the perfect frame of mind needed to receive the author's meaning.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read a lot of novels by Barbara Kingsolver, I started thinking the way she writes... Stuff like that happens a lot to me. I get stuck in fiction.

Once, I was working on an anime music video, and the character the video was for (incidentally, he's insane) started appearing on the inside of my eyelids when I closed my eyes.

It scared the shit outta me. (pardon my French...)

So, I think sometimes the fact that I'm able to lose myself in fiction isn't good. Though sometimes it is, I suppose...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this has happened to me from time to time. Also, if I'm really involved in something I'm reading, I become convinced that when I'm not reading, the action of the book is still taking place somewhere I don't quite have access to until I return to the book. This also happens sometimes with something I'm writing.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay. I'm not the only one! Sometimes I feel a ridiculous urgency to get back to whatever book it is I'm reading (like I'm missing the action). I'll have a constant undercurrent of thought and I'll even have dreams with the characters in them. It's like my life is the fictional part of the story and the story itself is the real thing.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep thinking that I need to get back before the commercial is over.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, when I have to put a book down, I get the insane sensation that the action is gonna happen without me...like I'm gonna miss it!

I also get frustrated when a character does something blatantly, obviously stupid. It's especially annoying when, during the second or third reading, they don't change their ways. [Wall Bash]

[Big Grin]

<~~not entirely kidding in this post, either...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of dreams

I ve been having this one for years

And for the last few weeks i have been having serial dreams alnmost with cliffhangers and everything

Does that make me strange or just ready for the great american sci fi novel

on second thought dont answer that

go back to sleep weezy

this is a test and only a test

if this had been a real dream you would have scored a hundred and ten in staed of the measly 35 you are fixing to receive for sleeping through most of it

we now return you to your regularly schedulled nightmare

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
no seriously folks I need a dream doctor and all the books at HAstings dont cover serial dreams.

How many years can I have a dream that never really ends but just picks up from some point either soon after the previous dream left off or suddenly jumps into the same area and same characters year after year after year.

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're having these nightmares that also consist of cliff-hangers, you could be like the next Steven King [Wink]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, my principal introduced a policy that severely lowered my average. It was called DEAR.

Drop Everything And Read.

This was murder. Every wednesday, at then end of first period for twenty minutes, we would read. I would take a book. I would read before DEAR, with the temptation of a book on my desk just too great to resist. That was math. I failed math with a 44%.

All through that day, I would read, unable to resist the call of a good story.

I read Ender's Game through physics. (Which, I argued, was curiously applicable.)

I read week after week in Chemistry, because Chemistry was so boring (teacher, not subject).

This year, I refuse to read. I will write, but I refuse to read. This makes me look like one of those who hates to read, but it is the exact opposite. Reading ruins my academics... I am a reading addict, giving me time to read is just compounding the problem. My teacher gets angry at what looks like open disobedience of my principal's "wonderful" idea. But what do I say?

"I can't read because I like to read too much."

Does that sound dumb or what? So I ignore what she says and pull out my notebook and I run through plot lines and story ideas. I figure writing is just like reading only what you're reading hasn't been written yet.

I cannot wake from fiction. I live the stories in my head, the characters distract me with their prescence, the ideas zip through my mind and I cannot concentrate.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I get really involved in the books I read. For on thing, I read it all at once, stopping barely long enough to eat. Then when I finish the book, I walk around dazed and confused, and I don't know what I'm doing for, like, the next two days. In fact, when I read Ender's Game, I actually forgot that gravity existed. You should have seen me try to walk [Blushing] . Anyway, I like to read series of long novels so I can stay in that "world" as long as possible, and I can't stand short stories.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.