FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My "dilemma"

Author Topic: My "dilemma"
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so it's actually not a dilemma at all, but I thought I'd share what just happened. (Incidently, I've been reading through a few threads, and it seems there's much I have missed in the recent past [Confused] , but that's not the point of this thread. )

Anyway, I was wandering through the BYU Bookstore Progressive Sale just now. (It's set up outside and the books are all highly discounted. As the week progresses, they become even more discounted, ie: Mon. and Tues. 50% off, Wed. and Thurs. 75%, and Fri. 90%) I've been to these sales before, and never found anything of interest (there's usually a reason for the discount), but I glance over the tables anyway, just in case.

I was passing the rows of tables, and I was about to give up, but then I came to a table with stacks and stacks of hardback copies of Homecoming: Earth. Now, I haven't read any of the Homecoming series, and I hadn't really decided whether or not I was going to. (Plus this specific book is the last two in the series combined.) And, if I buy this one, I will feel obligated to complete my set sometime in the future, even if I end up not liking them very much.

Here's the "dilemma": It's currently priced at $4.98 and I would get 50% off of that. [Eek!] Crazy, isn't it? I don't have my wallet with me today, or else I would have most likely bought it right then. The problem is, there are many copies of this book (they are all *slightly* damaged), so do I buy it tomorrow at 50% off, or wait until later in the week when I could get 75% or 90%? I'm worried that if I wait it might disappear, and heck, it's only going to be $2.50 right now!

Yeah I know, not really a dilemma. [Wink] But, what do you think, Hatrack?

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Do homework instead. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[Razz] Who needs homework??

*looks at watch*

Yikes! I gotta go to class!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I say, hansenj! Go Pro-Procrastinators!! [Smile]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to find out which book it is. There are 5 and they all have the word Earth in them. I would suck to get book 3 of the series.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid homework, Buy copies of books for extremely low price, save them and get them signed eventually. Then if you don't like them you can sell them for more than $2.50.

Or plan B.
I'm reading that series now, by a copy and send it to me and I will send you more than $2.50.

Or Plan C.
You could do the whole homework thing I suppose.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought the same book which include the last two in the series, at the half price bookstore for 5.98. I stole book, which contained the first three from one of my companie's model homes.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If they have stacks and stacks of them, then you're probably safe waiting until it's 75 percent off. Of course, you're only saving yourself a buck twenty-five if you wait until then, so it might be worth it to get it now and save yourself the trouble.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to remember to visit that sale.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want you to feel bad about not buying something that is this good a deal, so here's what I propose:

Pick me up one, and I'll send you $15 for it. PayPal, money order, whatever. You can mail it to my PO Box. How's that?

[Big Grin]

PS: not really kidding...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Kayla, it's Earthfall and Earthborn I think, the last two in the series. I would just have to check the other ones out from the library until I could afford to buy the rest (if I decide I want to).

I decided I'm going to check back at the sale tomorrow and see what's up. I'm definitely buying it though. [Big Grin]

As for all you crazy half-joking people, I really wouldn't mind sending copies to people, but the shipping would probably cost as much or more as the book. Also, I wouldn't really know how to go about it. So, if anyone is really serious about it, just let me know. [Smile] (or send me an email to this listed address)

martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
hansen, the post office sells padded envelopes perfect for mailing books. There is a special postage rate for books that takes a little longer than normal but costs less -- you have to ask for "book rate."
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Well, there you go! Any takers? [Smile]

(Just keep in mind that while the damage to the books is VERY minimal, they are not in perfect condition. Most have a permanent marker line along the pages, and the actual damage is mostly to the edges of the dustcover.)

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of takers,
quote:
I would suck to get book 3 of the series
*strokes absence of beard thoughtfully*
Well...
[Wink] j/k

[ September 15, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed]

Freudian slip?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

*bump*

No takers?

Well, I got mine. [Smile] The sale ends tomorrow, and as of a couple minutes ago there were still tons of copies left. It'll be 90% off tomorrow, so...last chance!

Oh, and you guys have dirty minds! [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.