FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The most wonderful sound

Author Topic: The most wonderful sound
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a big ol' nasty pharmacology test today. So, of course, I have been somewhat the old hermit around the house the past week or so, filling my head with thoughts of narcotics, anticonvulsants, antidepressants and other nasty names. But tonight, finally, the stress is off for a bit (until the crunch for the next one begins again).

Our little daughter (about 8 months old) didn't nap very well, only about one hour total all day, so she was pretty cranky. But I had a chance to play with her, to really play and enjoy her like I haven't for a few days. And it changed all that bad mood. I was reminded that the most wonderful sound in the world, IMO, is the sound of a little one laughing. She smiled, chatted, and laughed, laughed, laughed. What a joy.

Just thought I would share.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's nice.

Hatrack tykes are some pretty fortunate kids.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Jexxter. I have to agree. That's so beautiful.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna kind of hijack your thread. *smile* But! It's to add more cute kid stuff, so that's okay, right?

My son Christopher had a really tough couple of first weeks at Kindergarten (wouldn't play with his friends, misbehaved at circle time, etc) to the point where the teacher "conferenced" me a week after he started. Gah. It was scary, because Christopher is a happy, gabby, *participating* child. When he would come home from school, we would ask him how his day went, and he would scowl and say "It's a secret" or "I don't want to talk about it" and go to his room or outside to play. This is NOT like Christopher.

He's doing better (thanks for asking *wink* ) and today, the most beautiful sound was: "Can I tell you and Daddy about my day at school?"

*my heart leapt*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jexxter, weird. I have been thinking of this line from a newly discovered(by me) singer, and it is perfect for you right now. I have listened to it about fifteen times in the past two days, and I blubber like a babe every time:

"Take with you the sound of the creek from the land
Take that round black rock that I found
And hold it in your hand...
Your baby on your chest
Is as real as a dream gets
You know what I mean
It's gonna change you"

Crow Greenspun (Song has no name that I can find)

[ September 15, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss reading to kids and making them laugh. That's the funnest thing in the world.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Runner up:

The sound of a really really old person laughing. At the fact that they just lost control of their bladder.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Do I need to say, once more, that Jeffrey is hands-down the funniest person on Hatrack, ever?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

When will the sarcasm end, Ralphie.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You should take my friendstest, Jeffrey. You're an answer. [Smile]
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
About great kid noises, a four or five year old lives upstairs from my mom's apartment and the sound of her running across the floor upstairs, those little feet going pat pat pat, is great. [Smile]

Also when I was at university I lived in the dorm and the campus day care center was right outside my window. The playground sound of kids playing is another of those really great kid sounds. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very proud of knowing the least about Ralphie... mwahaha.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I'm sorry to have derailed your thread, Jexxter. It was a very sweet post. [Smile]
jehovoid
Member # 2014

26 on the friend test. I'm officially the worst friend that you have. Which means that you're probably doing pretty good in the friends department.
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
No problemo Ralphie, feel free to derail any and all threads I may start.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.