FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Useful Information from Google

Author Topic: Useful Information from Google
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I love google.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have a question for you. When you don't reply to someone, does that almost always mean that you think their post is stupid and there's no sense in replying, or does it mean that you just can't think of anything to say in response, so you don't say anything?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff...were you actually looking for that or did it just accidentally pop up? [Wink] I loved it!! That's one of those bizarre numbers that I need to memorize to freak people out. [Evil]
Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful. I was quizzed on a date two weeks ago about the rate of gravity - how fast something falls in earth's gravity. I couldn't answer.

That's what I get for dating science geeks. [Razz] It was very funny.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread is mistitled...

-ful +less....

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it something like 9.4something m/s2? (Yeah, that stretched my brain.)

Now I've gotta go look it up on google cause it's driving me nuts!!

Ok. It's 9.8 m/s2 if you're ever asked again kat. [Smile]

[ September 17, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Cecily ]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's 9.8 meters/second.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, it's a trick question. [Wink] First second? Second second? Twentieth second? 3000th second? (yeah, ok, that's a really long fall -- so?)

Just remember, things accelerate (on Earth, at sea level or a close approximation thereof) at about 10 meter/sec/sec. So, to know how fast it's going, just multiply the number of seconds times 10. If it's been falling 2 seconds, it'll be going 20 m/sec; 45 seconds, 450 m/sec.

[And yes, it's really 9.8 m/sec/sec -- but 10 is a good enough approximation for most things.]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
At one point I had R memorized in ruckus-sluts/bidness-reco'nize. Unfortunately I have since forgotten it.

Hmm...

0.082 L-atm/gmol-K
8.314 J/gmol-K

AHA!

10.73 ruckus-sluts/bidness-reco'nize

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sax: in answer to your question

quote:
Hey, I have a question for you. When you don't reply to someone, does that almost always mean that you think their post is stupid and there's no sense in replying, or does it mean that you just can't think of anything to say in response, so you don't say anything?
I think it means the person is such a smarty pants that their post has encompassed all possible opinion on the subject so there is nothing more to say. At least I hope that's why, if you research it, my posts have the lowest average reply count of anyone in Hatrack history. I even tried to start a game once, and I think it went down with a blaze of non-glory.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

"If you fall into a bottomless pit, you die of starvation."

It is a trick question, but not quite for the reason you gave, rivka. If the question is, as kat reports, "What is the rate of gravity?" it doesn't have a whole lot of meaning. What rate are we talking about? The rate of change of position (i.e. velocity) due to gravity? The rate of change of velocity (i.e. acceleration) due to gravity? The rate of change of the universal gravitational constant? And even if we can assume that he wants the acceleration due to gravity, where are we talking about? At the surface of the earth? At the surface of the moon? In deep space?

Next time you get a question like that, kat, ask him to be more specific.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

ARGH!
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff:

if you ever have some time to kill, NPR's Science Friday had an interview with the author of Google Hacks and one of google's co-founders, 2 fridays ago. They talk about some neat stuff, and Science Friday archives all of its old shows. So check it out.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, great. Now I'm going to have to find a way to use this piece of information in conversation. [Razz]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

And just in case anyone cares, here's a good conversion you should always keep handy:

1 ruckus-slut/bidness-reco'nize = 1 PSI-ft^3/lbmol-°R

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Pooka, I think you're probably right. [Wink]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, sax, that's the difference between an engineer's answer and a (former) science teacher's answer. [Wink]

I agree with you, though. It is, sadly, a question that is often phrased exactly that way. (Including by some of my former students, who ought to know better! [Wall Bash] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, of course, you are assuming a vacuum. In the earth's atmosphere eventually counteracts gravitational acceleration, so that the speed remains constant.

That google feature rules, it even knows Avogadro's Number:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=avogadro%27s+number&btnG=Google+Search

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

See, but it doesn't know c in attoparsecs per microfortnight (1.18e10).

Although, in all fairness, it does know it in attoparsecs per fortnight.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
@------>---- White rose of peace for Saxon. I remember the warg-pile on fil when I mistook him for filletted. Fortunately for me, I don't think there has ever been a HRer named Poo.

P.S. I almost used S.S. but didn't want to evoke whatever it is that that pertains to with Nazis.

[ September 17, 2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

(((((pooka)))))

::beams::

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Now that you mention it, I think that would be a pretty funny nickname for certain people whose nicks begin with the letters 'poo'. [Evil Laugh]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, assuming that there was an atmosphere in the bottomless pit, wouldn't you be incinerated before you starved to death? And if there wasn't a breathable atmosphere, I expect you'd asphyxiate before you starved.

Of course, for either of these, I guess that how hungry you were when you fell in the hole might be a factor. [Smile]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, look, a nerd fest.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey!

[Mad]

[Wink]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Google gets cooler every day.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman, I kind of like it, but this is the kind of thread that gets me the eye roll from my husband. He also rolled his eyes at the math joke thread and wondered why there were so many apparently bright people here that didn't have anything better to do all day long.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff,

I thought everyone knew that. Did you know that the mass of the sun is 1.5 km???

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The funny think, Kayla, is that just before you posted that, I was thinking "man, this is great--we're such a bunch of geeks!"
saxon75
Member # 4589

Hmmm... You raise an interesting point, Noemon.

Let's contemplate the so-called bottomless pit. One possible bottomless pit would be a hole that goes all the way through the earth. We'll assume that it's a wide enough hole that you wouldn't be able to grab the sides and stop or slow yourself. Now, assuming you didn't die of a heart attack upon falling into the hole, you would almost certainly be incinerated well before reaching the planet's core. The problem is that the mantle and outer core of the planet are liquid, so just digging a hole wouldn't suffice to create a permanent bottomless pit; it would fill itself in in relatively short order. So you'd have to either cool the liquid into a solid state, or erect some sort of barrier around the hold to keep it from collapsing. Now, all of the industrial construction materials I can think of would melt or burn if you tried to use them to reinforce the walls of the pit, so we will have to further assume we have a high enough level of technology to erect some sort of force field (not a terrible leap, considering we have the technology to drill a hole all the way through the earth). And if we're going to assume such a force field being capable of holding such a massive amount of magma at bay, we might as well assume that it can keep the heat at bay as well.

So we have a hole through the center of the earth being reinforced by a heat-dampening force-field. What about atmosphere? I have to admit I'm not sure about this part. Would a combination of gravity, air pressure (really just gravity) and diffusion be enough to get enough air into the hole? If we posit a hole with a radius of, say, 20 meters, then we're looking at a volume of 8.01 billion cubic meters, which is by no means an insignificant amount. But if we assume that the bulk of the earth's atmosphere is within 7 km of the surface, the entire atmosphere has a volume of 3.58e18 cubic meters, so we would need only about two billionths of the atmosphere to fill the hole. This is wild hand-waving, now, but I think it's safe to assume that if we allow enough time after the construction of the hole, it will receive sufficient atmosphere to avoid asphyxiation.

Now, of course, we have the problem that the hole we've been considering is not quite what we envision a truly bottomless pit to be. Basically, a person unlucky enough to fall in would fall for a long time, overshooting the center of the earth and subsequently fall up the other side, almost reaching the surface (air friction would slow the ascent enough to prevent the hapless victim from getting all the way there). Then the person would fall back down again, and so on in a decaying oscillatory pattern, eventually coming to rest at the earth's center. I have no idea how long that would take, though.

What might be better is to construct a really long tube, the length of the whole universe. It would need some sort of method to propel the person down its length, but since we have the engineering skill to construct what amounts to an infinitely long tube, I think we can assume that they can come up with some type of propulsion. Modern physics tells us that the universe is finite but unbounded, such that if we travel far enough in one direction, we'll come back to where we started (the debate remains as to whether our left and right sides will be reversed when we get there, though). Our tube, then, would connect back on itself. The main problem here, though, is that there's no way in, so how would anyone fall into it?

What we really need is some sort of extra-dimensional hole that only has one end. But now we're moving into realms of mathematics for which I am completely unprepared.

Noemon
Member # 1115

::applauds::
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
And that, my dear Mike, is why Saxy love exists.

<3

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Great, all that work and that guy gets all the love... [Grumble]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Google has the answer to...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
My car gets fourty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Sweet.

[Edit: That was to Zev, although it's certainly good to see Slash isn't dead yet.]

[ September 17, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(shakes head) Fools. If you fell into a bottomless pit, you would die of dehydration... [Razz]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

::deducts 4 disciple points for insolence::

But you do have a good point. You should write a letter to that Strong Bad guy.

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if someone threw you a juice box!
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.