FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Once Upon a Time in Mexico *spoilers*

Author Topic: Once Upon a Time in Mexico *spoilers*
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this with the love muffin last night. LOOOOVED it, and I'll tell you why.

• Antonio Banderas. *sigh* I've loved him since the Almodovar days. Not the type I usually go for, but for some reason I wanna rip off his buttons with my teeth. [Big Grin]
  • Johnny Depp. This guy is 40 years old, and still really, really young. Quite possibly the best actor of his generation. Definitely among the most courageous. He makes Sands so believable, that I actually believed this was a guy who could, and would, drag himself into a gun fight after having his eyes drilled out.
  • Robert Rodriguez. So, he's not known for his great plotting or his in-depth character studies, but I love the way he shoots action. It is entirely unique. I also enjoy, say, John Woo action (and by extension Wachoski brothers action). But where Woo makes his violence almost balletic, with the slow motion eye candy detail, Rodriguez' slash cut, fast action, brutal violence is almost orgasmic by comparison. Still, he does it with a lot of humor, which is some trick.
  • The supporting characters are all well done, if sometimes thinly written. All of 'em are quirky, as one would expect from Rodriguez. Willem Defoe *shudder* as the big bad cartel leader, Micky Rourke as his chihuahua-toting lackey, Danny Trejo bringing his usual depth to his usual mercenary-thug. Even the younger Iglesias as a Mariachi sidekick.
In short, See this movie! El Mariachi was fun, got more credit than it deserved, maybe (because it was in Spanish, and therefore had a foriegn film mistique that it may or may not have deserved). Desparado was great, especially for those of us who saw El Mariachi and liked it. But this movie is better.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp clearly has some kind of pact with Satan. I don't think he's aged a day in about 20 years.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see this movie. I love Johnny Depp. I don't care how old he is. *dies*
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats not a spoiler here is a spoiler

someone gets shot

see totally ruined the plot and the film for the rest of us who have not seen it

man thats as bad a teeneger usually females with friends over.....watching a video with you. One they saw 15 times in the theater but you never had a chance to watch cause you work for a living......any way they all talk all through the movie giving up every plot point

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

It also has Salma Hayek in skimpy clothing. I mean if all the guns and stuff were not enough to get your butt in the seat. [Wink]

The special effects are used mostly to make wounds look real, like eye-holes and disintegrating knees (when hit with a close range short shotgun blast). Wicked. Also, people getting blown up and hit by cars and stuff. Realistic gore, but with ... I dunno... panache.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Jaiden and i saw this on saturday.

What was mind boggling for me was the sort of surreal senselessness of the whole affair, the movie was shot such that you're never entirely sure whether the whole thing is just one really big dead pan joke. Really i think thats what makes it cool, but the thing is so weird that jadien and i have no idea what to make of the film.

I went to see it simply because it had the juno reactor track "Pistolero" as the preview theme.

"Are you a Mexi-can, or a Mexi-can't?"

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow, Johnny Depp's 40?! [Eek!] [Hail]
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie Saturday, my brother thought the chihuahua was gonna be a weapon. Lol, he said that he kept hoping the guy would break out some secret compartment like the guitar cases. I thought it was pretty darn good. Speaking of Johnny, i just saw him a couple nights ago in Benny and Joon and he looks exactly the same, with eyeballs and only 2 arms of course, but besides that pretty similar. Did anyone else laugh with they saw enrique?
I'm a Mexican't!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Johnny Depp is ageless. It's almost surreal.

The whole first scene with Enrique was amusing.

There were so many things about this movie that made me laugh. Some little, some big. Like Sands' shirt that said "CIA: Cleavage Inspection Agency" and the one that said, "I'm with Stupid" and had the hand pointing down (that was especially good considering how the girl was his downfall).

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp was cool. Antonio Banderas was sexy cool. Salma Hayek was just plain sexy.

But...

I didn't like this one nearly as much as Desperado. Other than the opening sequence Hayek was under used, the humor and "cool factor" were great except he (Rodriguez) tried being too serious at the same time.

Still, it's definitely worth a look.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else think, Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas are too cool to be their real names?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that somewhere in Johnny Depp's attic is a picture of himself that's aged hideously, and he can't stand to look at it, and every time he does a wicked deed it gets hideouser, while he himself changes not a jot.

Yes, he does look creepily young. In Benny and Joon he really looks like he's just out of high school or something, and he'd be 30 when it was made...

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It also has Salma Hayek in skimpy clothing. I mean if all the guns and stuff were not enough to get your butt in the seat.

Salma Hayek is the only other female star that rivals my beauty.

<--- Ralphie, who is also Monica Bellucci.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Antonio Banderas is from Spain, and I think that is his real name.

But Johnny Depp's real name is Dorian Gray, obviously. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.