FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Tirade Thread

Author Topic: The Tirade Thread
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is the thread to vent your anger over Pop-Ups/internet/whatever.

I just got over 60 in less than a minute.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! [Mad]

*steam coming out ears*

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[ September 17, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::cough::popupblocker::cough::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Where!!!!!
*acts like puppy*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
"Ni!" to that kwsni! [Smile]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

go google it.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
(relieved this thread isn't about onanism)
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cnet has a bunch. Don't pay for one! There's a bunch that are freeware. Or if you switch to Navigator as your browser like I have, you can disable popups directly in preferences.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Google has a nice one bundled in with their toolbar addon. Free, very effective.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, doesn't this have to do with the cookies in your temp internet files? Your popups will disappear for a while if you delete all the cookies. I think it's in the WinNT folder (that scary one that you're not supposed to touch) and then temp internet files. Tom or someone who knows, is there a path that you can give for PCs that gets you into the right folder?

This would only be a temporary fix. You'd have to change your internet options to prompt you whenever a website wanted you to accept cookies and you could see if it's an add or a legit cookie for the website you're viewing. This is also a pain in the butt.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're really getting 60 popups in less than a minute, I'd say you need a bit more than a pop up stopper. Download adaware and run it, then also get a popup stopper for those pesky ones that everyone actually gets.

[ September 17, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and stop looking at all those naughty sites. [Razz]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
One very important thing to notice though is if any of these popups say in the toolbar at the top "Messenger Service". If it does, let us know and someone (me or someone else I am sure) can pass along the info on how to stop this evil service. Most popup blockers won't stop those kind, so if that is the culprit you need to take action.

Here is a good popup stopper I have used.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Curses, Jeni, you beat me to it.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

because of jehovoid, I'm changing the title of this thread...
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

BTW, most of the pop-ups are from Yahoo and Microsoft( [Mad] ).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definately try to download one....

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

::pulls out glass::

::drops in a couple of ice cubes::

::pours foul smelling black fluid over the ice::

Tire-aide anyone?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckle*

@#$%^! trackpad on this laptop that interprets accidental contact with the palm of my typing hand as a mouseclick and can't be turned off at the control panel and just caused me to lose a post I had literally been working on for two hours.

::breathes::

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

It's awfull when you accidentally select a large portion of your work, and then you keep typing over it..... [Grumble]

[ September 17, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is, but at least I could control-Z that back. When it accidentally backpages and the text is gone when you go back, though, you're really SOL.

[Grumble]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Laugh]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

another tirade:
I have no job! [Cry]
They won't call me back! [Mad]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Hey, Pat's hiring...

Oh, that's just for Ralphie's minions, sorry...

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if everyone just started using Mozilla, you could just set a popup blocker setting in your browser... And you could EVEN conditionally set which sites you want popups from.

But instead, people just want to install more cruft onto their system.

[Grumble]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

you think that's bad?

I just lost a job they'd told me I had already, because they didn't call ME.

Ni!

asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs iMac* I have Safari. I have tabbed browsing, no popups AND it's faster than any Mozilla build I advocated beforehand. *happy sigh*

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

turns out we had something that was actually attracting pop-ups....... [Grumble]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

another tirade:
we need rain and the hurricane is going to miss us by about three counties. [Grumble]
Arg.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

We NEED rain! We've been in a drought and the grass is brown and crunchy!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I downloaded the GOOGLE tollbar.....NO MORE POP-UPS!!!!
YAY!!!! [Big Grin]
*does a dance of joy*

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Turns out it misses us by ONE county... [Grumble]

but I was consoled when I was watching the weather channel, and saw a reporter blow away... [Evil Laugh]
[ROFL]
....It was...
[ROFL]
...so funny...
[ROFL]
...I'm ok...*gasping for air*...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.