FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Gospel of Supply Side Jesus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Gospel of Supply Side Jesus
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So sacrilicious--it's a sin!

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/09/17_franken.html

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never not laughed so hard. [Roll Eyes]

Again, someone show me where Franken is funny? [Confused]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes. The cuticles are absolutely perfect!"

"Shouldn't you feed the lepers, Supply Side Jesus?"

"No, Thomas, that would just make them lazy."

"Then shouldn't you at least heal them, Supply Side Jesus?"

"No, James, Leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility."

*LOL*

[Laugh]

[ September 18, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Caleb Varns ]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.

It's not that I mind the message. . . just the tactic used to convey it.

It wasn't clever or convincing or even humorous. It was like a Jack Chick track from a liberal.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
about as accurate in it's characterizations, too...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott:

Isn't that the point?

It's satire.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I thought satire was supposed to be funny though?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

The end is kind of stupid, but i, like caleb, am rather amused at the ridiculousness of trickle down economics.
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to read the whole thing, I think, because at the end the author makes sure we understand that he's not making fun of Christ or Christians, by slipping in the 'real' Jesus to compare to the SSJ. What he is making fun of is the idea that compassionate conservativism and following Christ could go hand in hand.

At least that's the way I saw it.

And if you can't see any humor in this, you probably couldn't see any humor in The Life of Brian, either. And if you can't see any humor in The Life of Brian, maybe you ought to stick with documentaries or dramas.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Because if you can't laugh at sacred things, there's no point in a sense of humor.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

M^2:

(From M-W.com)
Satire:
1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

So, no i guess it doesn't have to be funny by dictionary definition.

And still i certainly find parts of this funny. Hell the method of delivery itself is satirical. Also to Scott, i would have to say that if you wanted to compare this seriously to chick tracts, the Franken tract is conciderably less heavy handed.

msquared
Member # 4484

Well gee, thanks Caleb, now you know exactly how I think. [Roll Eyes]

msquared

Pod
Member # 941

Kat:

Was that intended as sarcasm?

Cause i think you should be able to discuss and make jokes about sacred things. Not in all contexts certainly, but why should it be completely off limits?

Pod
Member # 941

M^2:

I'm confused, where was caleb saying he knew how you thought?

msquared
Member # 4484

So I can bring out the MLK jokes?

msquared

msquared
Member # 4484

It seemed that this was addressed to me: And if you can't see any humor in this, you probably couldn't see any humor in The Life of Brian, either. And if you can't see any humor in The Life of Brian, maybe you ought to stick with documentaries or dramas.

He might not have mentioned me inparticular, but since I did not find it funny, I was included in his statement.

msquared

Satan
Member # 529

- posted      Profile for Satan   Email Satan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if you're all going to make my job this easy, I'll go on vacation.

Carry on!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was amusing. I can see why conservatives, or supply-siders wouldn't find it amusing, but I think it's funny. Especially in light of this news story I just read. Bush plans for the deficit and the drastics cuts that are going to be needed are scary. Of course, the whole point of the tax cut and building up the deficit is to force huge cuts in government programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicade so. . .
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Pod:

I don't find "Take my wife, please!" jokes funny either.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
i wish there was a 'quizzical when is this boring ass shit going to become funny? expression' smilie.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
"...or in the case of you lepers, your good foot and a stump?"

[ROFL]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
for now i guess this will have to do.
[Roll Eyes] [Confused] [Dont Know] [Sleep]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

M^2:

i don't know, what's your MLK Jr. joke about?

Kat:

Take my wife jokes? And you've never heard a single religious joke that you've found funny?

Scott R
Member # 567

Pod-- I guess I like my satire a bit less heavy handed.

My eyes hurt from having the cartoonists' point drilled into them so hard.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

And really, perhaps this gets at the heart of the difference between supply-siders and safety-netters.

I've always found supply-side politics satircal. As in, they in themselves, are inherently satire. I've never heard a reagonomic policy that i didn't first think "this must be a sick joke".

Really, to me, the "leperosy is a matter of personal responsibility" thing strikes at the heart of it. This both accurately frames how supply-side politics are supposed to work, and why i find them so absurd.

katharina
Member # 827

Of course I have. And of course I've heard jokes about married life that I thought were hysterical.

But not all of them are, and this is an example of one that isn't. It isn't smart, nuanced, or clever enough.

I object to Caleb's statement because he says that if you don't find this amusing, then you have no capacity for any kind of humor.

[ September 18, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Pod
Member # 941

Scott:

Hey, i agree, i don't think this is terribly funny satire, in fact i find franken rather heavy handed, however, he both does research on the things he discusses (even if he glazes them in a peculiar way), and he does tend to keep some sense of reality around him (hearing him talk on Fresh Air really drove the point home for me, everything the dude writes is intended for people to look at and go "this is insane").

And for me thats why franken's work is interesting. His writing is supposed to say "look isn't this ridiculous" but also be directly derived from the state of politics.

What i don't get is why people on the other side of the political arena adamantly refuse to see that its absurd at all. most just seem to claim its unfunny (which really sidesteps the point, its not about humor).

[ September 18, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Pod ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Thing is, Pod, et al: I DON'T get all excited about "supply side" economics. I'm not a fiscal conservative. I'm also highly aware of the hypocrisy of many Christians in regards to the poor, the sick, the needy. . .

Sometimes, things aren't funny just because they are not funny. It sometimes doesn't have anything to do at all with the audience.

Jack Chick tracts, however, ARE funny. But I'm sure they're not intended to be so.

Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Sacred is as sacred does, folks. Same with economics and humor, evidently.

I was kidding about the Life of Brian. Look, can't we always look on the bright side of life?.

It just seems to me that some folks couldn't possibly find humor in a comic strip that uses their savior to satirize their own politics. It's far too offensive, of course. Probably the same thing with the more irreverent South Park episodes. But the reason given is that they're just not funny. They aren't clever. They have no nuance.

Take this:

quote:
"It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

"But you can't have babies."

"Don't you oppress me."

"I'm not oppressing you, Stan -- you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"

"Here! I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the *right* to have babies."

"Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister, sorry."

Why is that funny? Is it because it takes a sacred subject and juxtaposes it with something silly? Does it have cleverness or nuance that the comic strip doesn't? Or is it funny because it doesn't have any political opinions making it go?

Political cartoons have ALWAYS been a part of the American political scene. One would think that they've been around so long because... well, because they're funny.

And if you can't see that, then I hope your sense of humor finds health in other areas.

[ September 18, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Caleb Varns ]

katharina
Member # 827

*shrug* I don't think white people acting "black" is terribly funny either, but YMMV.

[ September 18, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also highly aware of the hypocrisy of many Christians in regards to the poor, the sick, the needy. . .

Oh puhleeeezze. What a load. [Frown]

I know a whole lot of really good Christians who do a whole lot to take care of the poor and the needy.

Guess what? Most of them just do it to be nice. They use their OWN time and their OWN money to bless the lives of others. And they do it a whole lot.

Unlike people such as Bill, Hillary, and Franken that want to take OTHER people's time and OTHER people's money to create a permanent underclass perpetually dependent upon government handouts.

Who are all these hypocrites you're talking about, because they don't attend any Christian church of which I am aware?

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Nah. If it had been funny, I would have laughed.

But it wasn't (the crack about lepers felt like an afterthought-- 'Better put something funny in here. . .') So I didn't.

It doesn't have anything to do with politics or religion.

And I did smile at Caleb's above post.

So there.

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
The only funny bit was

quote:
"She had been a prostitute, but because I needed a pedicure, she is now able to fulfill her true potential."

"Yes. The cuticles are absolutely perfect!"

Everything else was pretty shitely.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with the exception of the "or in the case of you lepers" line, I didn't find this funny. I see the point, I get the irony, I just didn't think it was executed in a particularly funny manner. Very little political satire actually strikes me as laugh-out-loud funny, though.

You left off the end of that scene, Caleb:
quote:
"What's the point?"
"What?"
"What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?"
"It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression."
"Symbolic of his struggle against reality."

Of course, I think my favorite exchange from that movie is:
quote:
You know the penalty layed down by Roman law for harbouring a known criminal?"
"No."
"Crucfiction."
"Oh."
"Nasty, eh?"
"Hm. Could be worse."
"What do you mean 'could be worse'?"
"Well, you could be stabbed."
"Stabbed? Takes a second. Crucifixion lasts hours. It's a slow, 'orrible death."
"Well, at lest it gets you out in the open air."
"You're weird!"

Unfortunately, that one is really not as funny when you don't get John Cleese's facial expressions and vocal tones.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I'm also highly aware of the hypocrisy of many Christians in regards to the poor, the sick, the needy. . .

Oh puhleeeezze. What a load.

I wish it were.

That'd make the service projects I organize SOOOOO much easier.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but don't you see, Scott, you are trying to manage OTHER people's time, and energy, and money (what, you think gasoline is free? hohoHO!).

Just like that icky Franken fellow. He's just bitter because God gave him a face that makes it LOOK like he's got leprosy.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

What is this mysterious YMMV? You make me vomit? Young Men Marry Virgins? Yoyo Ma's Mandarin Verse?

I suppose the reason I'm defending the strip is, not because I found it particularly hilarious, but because the reactions to the strip seemed to place it in the comedy box marked "tasteless", and I don't think that anytime you use religion to expose hypocrisy is tasteless. It's poignant and fitting, in my opinion.

saxon75
Member # 4589

I didn't think it was tasteless or even particularly inappropriate. It just wasn't funny.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh, and YMMV stands for "Your Mileage May Vary."
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
ae - You need to post more.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

FYI, I also thought the cuticles bit was the funniest (which is why I listed it at the top of the examples). And I'll admit that even that isn't a gut buster.
katharina
Member # 827

So we're agreed.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I know, I guess I'm just easily amused...

But the artwork was cool, and I really liked the scene where he spins around and gives the thumbs-up with a big grin during the sermon on the mount.

I also liked the last supper scene.

Oh, well. I liked Amazon Women on the Moon too.

Sorry! [Dont Know]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

How about Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie: What, 1959 posts not good enough for you? That's. . . what, almost four posts per day? Why, it's almost visible on the Scopatz Scale! [Razz]
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama?

I must have missed that one. Got a copy?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like a copy, too, please.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Classic movie, Kayla.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Sadly, I do have a copy.

[ September 18, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
ae - But that means you're posting in threads I'm not reading. Post in more Ralphie-oriented threads.

Kayla - You were going to tell me how my acting was in that one. Stiff? Unconvincing?

I should have looked right when I screamed at the monster while wearing a bikini instead of left. [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.