FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More Unabashed bragging about my daughter (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More Unabashed bragging about my daughter
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*withers under Ela's glare after calling Jane hot*
Watch yourself, Bob. [No No] [Eek!] [Wink]

[ROFL]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo hoo!!

[The Wave]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

JaneX got her letter today notifying her that she is a National Merit Scholarship Finalist!!!
[Big Grin]

Wow, my daughter is so smart. [Smile]

Even I'm impressed. [Wink]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Congrats, Jane!

[Party]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane, that's wonderful! [Hail]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it's a secret is it? [Wink]

Congrats to Jane!! She's one smart lady!! She must take after her mom... [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Smarts and looks combined is a good package [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
JaneX, congratulations. Does this automatically mean a scholarship or is there another level of "elimination?"

I can't remember, but I think I was a National Merit Semifinalist. I got a Tootsie-Roll Pop and a piece of Bazooka chewing gum.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane -- congratulations!!

Bob, if I remember correctly, about half of the finalists actually receive money. If the college you choose to attend has a program for awarding money to national merit finalists, you are more likely to receive money. There are a few (I think maybe 2,000?) scholarships of about $2500 each (I think....it's been a year or so since I did all this stuff) given out by the National Merit organization itself. So whether or not you get money depends mostly on which school you go to and whether you choose to receive money from the school or from the organization (you can select it on the little card you mail in).

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so awesome! Double congrats to Jane. I bow to your smarty-ness and just all-around coolness. [Hail]
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, late congrats for the accomplishment to the two of you. [Big Grin] Carleton College's website has a really good FAQ on the whole process that you'll be going through here. It helped me quite a bit. Congrats again. [Smile]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

[Party]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What frustrated me about the whole National Merit Finalist thing is that -- at least, thirteen years ago -- you have to list your college preference on the PSAT your JUNIOR YEAR, and you only get the scholarship if you wind up going to one of the schools you listed back then.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't win one of the Merit Scholarships when was in high school, although I was a finalist. But several colleges offered internal Merit Scholarships to any incoming student who was a finalist.

Of course, the college I went to was one of the few that didn't. And boy, did I hear about that from my mother...

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It still works like that, you just get plenty of chances to change what the school you named was.

But there is a deadline you have to have that finalized by around the time college admissions letters are coming.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the southern schools are really big into offering scholarships for being a National Merit. I went to the U. of Oklahoma because they give any National Merit scholar a free ride, plus a stipend. My freshman year I lived on a floor that was entirely National Merit Scholars. I believe Texas does the same as well as some schools in Florida. Other than that I don't know for sure. U. of Oklahoma is still one of the best deals for the amount of money they throw at you, but it depends on what you want to major in as well.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a finalist, and I did get a scholarship. But it was only $500/year, from my father's employer.

Luckily, anyone who is able to qualify as a NM finalist is also probably eligible for some other really good scholarships.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom it may have changed since the 7 years ago when I got it (Wow it has been 7 years!) But I don't believe that is the case now. They do give first preference to whereever you put down but it didn't matter for me since the scholarship was mostly sponsored by the school and only slightly subsidized by National Merit.

AJ
(Yes, U of U I got like $250 each semester actually from National Merit, and that was pretty much free spending money since the U of OK scholarship was so good.)

And I know I didn't put down U of Ok on my PSATs anywhere. I didn't dream of going there initially!

AJ

[ February 10, 2004, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What frustrated me is that I never actually took the darn test.

Why? Because I didn't know it existed. Why didn't I know it existed? Because, for the vast majority of my schooling, I simply wasn't paying attention. How could miss that, Katie? you may ask.

And I will tell you.

Okay, I have no idea. Seriously, where did you hear about it? I swear, my body was at school every day, but my mind was definitely wandering.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Your school counselor should have mentioned.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What frustrated me about the whole National Merit Finalist thing is that -- at least, thirteen years ago -- you have to list your college preference on the PSAT your JUNIOR YEAR, and you only get the scholarship if you wind up going to one of the schools you listed back then.
I'm almost got screwed on this. The school I ended up at wasn't one of my choices. Nobody really mentioned the importance of what school you put down during the PSAT. In fact, nobody ever mentioned the importance of the PSAT itself. If I remember right, the score you got on that had a lot to do with whether you got into the National Merit program. Luckily, I ended up getting internal scholarships.

Banna, UF did have an honors dorm, but I don't remember if they had a floor of all Merit Scholarship winners. I went straight into an apartment. Not the best idea I ever had, since I almost lost those scholarships.

JaneX - Congratulations! It's a big deal, Miss Smartypants. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Your school counselor should have mentioned.
I skipped five years of homework. I avoided my school counselor.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yep, that would do it.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My sophomore Honors English teacher did mention the NMSQT to us, briefly. She probably even called it the PSAT/NMSQT, but I didn't really take notice. Nobody else mentioned it, that I can remember.

Then, when it came time to register for the PSAT, I thought, why should I take a practice SAT test? I won't need to take the SAT, since I (almost certainly) won't be applying to any colleges that require it. So I didn't register.

My dad asked me about it, and I told him my reasoning. He wasn't satisfied, so he asked around. He finally confirmed that the PSAT was in fact the NMSQT, and that if I wanted to have any shot at a National Merit scholarship, I'd better take the test. Luckily, the time to register hadn't quite passed, although I cut it close.

I'm glad I took the test, even though I only got $500/year out of it. My high-school nemesis was the only other Finalist at my school. I would have hated to be shown up by him. It also gave me the chance to take the actual SAT, which was good because I got my revenge on him for beating my ACT score by beating his SAT score.

After so much competition and back-and-forth revenge, we had no choice but to become roommates in college.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else on this board benefit from the fact that the NMSQT score gives the verbal section twice as much weight as the math section? I did not have the highest PSAT score in the school by a bit (several people got perfect math scores), but I smoked them in the NMSQT score because I had the highest verbal score.

I'd suspect a lot of jatraqueros fall into that same category.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arya
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Arya   Email Arya         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Jane! *hugs* (I'll give you more tomorrow in school)
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, yes. My verbal score was considerably higher than my math both times I took the PSAT. And on the practice tests I took too.

Then I managed to get exactly the same score for math and verbal when I took the SAT. Go figure. [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I believe this has been the case for both my kids on the PSATs, though I expect that Shlomo's math score will rise quite a bit next year, as he is in precalculus this year.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ela makes smart babies. [Big Grin]

(Congratulations, Jane!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

This is so awesome. Mega congrats!

[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The school I went to offers full scholarships, including housing, food, and books for National Merit finalists.

They instituted this policy four years after I enrolled there as a National Merit Finalist with my measly $500/semester scholarship. grrr.

Congrats, Jane. I already knew you were brilliant, but it's nice to get official confirmation.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the farther you go away from basic math, unless you're a complete math geek, the more it hurts you. I was in Calculus when I took the PSATs and did way better on verbal than math. Of course the guide I used to practice was a SAT guide, so while I got a perfect verbal score my Writing Skills score was almost 20 points lower. [Grumble]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela makes smart babies.
Thanks for the compliment, CT. [Smile]

I think they're pretty smart. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.