FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » contemporary lit author suggestions?

Author Topic: contemporary lit author suggestions?
del
Member # 4618

- posted      Profile for del           Edit/Delete Post 
anyway, I'm in a contemporary literature class, and we're supposed to pick an author and do a quasi-presentation on them.... I've found a few that look pretty interesting, but I'm just looking for other ideas. I don't mind "classics" (well, as much as a contemporary book can be a classic, anyway) as long as they're good aside from the whole "well, I can see why this is considered a classic" deal. the only authors off limits are Toni Morisson and Tim O'Brien. "Contemporary" is defined as 70s or later, in this course, by the way...

so, yeah, just looking for author suggestions along with a recommended novel or two. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the only authors off limits are Toni Morisson and Tim O'Brien.
Out of curiosity, why are they off limits?

One suggestion off the top of my head would be Barbara Kingsolver. I may think of something else later.

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
del
Member # 4618

we're covering them pretty extensively in the class, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have someone pick 'em.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaimen would be an interesting choice.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
http://contemporarylit.about.com/ ?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
del
Member # 4618

actually, I was there already.

was just looking for a few personal opinions. [Frown]

Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry...I don't read many contemporary works....

I am, however, reading a book that's teaching me a bit of Portuguese. Sorry I'm not much help... best of luck to ya, though! [Hat]

~¤~Damien~¤~

P.S.- I'm still stuck on that last book of the bible... [Wink] [Evil] [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
John Gardner
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Haruki Murakami!
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Hornby would be an interesting choice. John Updike, Don Delillo, Kathleen Norris, Umberto Eco . . .

Does 70s mean "began writing in 1970s" or "Continued writing through 1970s"? Because the latter obviously includes a few more authors, i.e. Chaim Potok. Joyce Carol Oates would be another interesting one, particularly her short stories. . .

I'll think some more on it; looks like fun.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Louise Erdrich is absolutely phenomenal. I can't recommend her highly enough.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Beckett wrote through the seventies . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Adams
Pat Conroy

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I really loved the works of Canadian novelist Robertson Davies. He died in 1995, but continued writing up til shortly before his death. There's a nice little summary of his work in an obituary and review titled: Man of myth - Robertson Davies was this century's greatest magic unrealist

The review says a lot more about Davies and his works than I can. I started with Fifth Business and was hooked. The plot turns on how the lives of several characters come to be shaped by one single event - a thrown rock.

[ September 19, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Celt
Member # 5697

- posted      Profile for The Celt   Email The Celt         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the genres limited? Can you study someone who has written fantasy/sci-fi (not usually accepted in the academic world), horror, or mystery?

If you are limited, I'd recommend Anna Quindlen (sp?), second the recommendation for Barbara Kingsolver, and stop there because I'm not the biggest of contemporary lit fans.

If you're not limited, I have many, many more suggestions.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Salzman!!!!!

He's absolutely my favorite living author! He's surpassed Uncle Orson recently. I recommend him very highly. Start with The Laughing Sutra.

Oh, also the Nobel Prizes for Literature are a great source of good lit fic authors. Here is a page with a complete list of them.

David Maloof, an Australian writer, is a big big recommendation. Also Margaret Underwood, who is a Canadian, and Margaret Drabble, an English writer. These last three I haven't read myself but asked my mom (who reads all the contemporary lit fic and always likes good stuff) and she said they are her very highest recommendations so they're on my list now too.

[ September 19, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Ayn Rand still be considered contempory

Im not sure

[Hat]

[ September 19, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Robertson Davies, Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan, OSC (well, why not?), Potok (though The Chosen and The Promise were pre-1970)... how's that for a list? Oooh, what about Peter Ackroyd? He's a genre-bender if ever there was one and writes amazingly well.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
You know.... I bet Mama meant Margaret Atwood, not Margaret Underwood. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's who she meant. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.