FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gettin' Yourself Some Chicken (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gettin' Yourself Some Chicken
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* cause that's how I roll. And because I still think Ralphie's cool beans and I hope she's closer to getting her some chicken.

[ March 01, 2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this before or after Elizabeth's Chicken thread? [Evil Laugh]
Well, anyway, it's kind of a good thought. My little niece has Down's Syndrome and we think she's great. She got me hooked on Roly Poly Oly's "Totally Chocolate Dinner".

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And later in the series, she got pregnant by the chicken-boy. Soooo....
What kind of mutant powers did the baby have? (I'm serious, I really want to know) [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of hairballs he hawked big balls of feathers.

[Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread! Thanks, Squick, for resurrecting it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm me too
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see you resurrect this one, Squick. Thanks for the reminder. I had nearly forgotten about it.

A few months after this incident I took a walk down a nearby street and saw the same guy sitting with his guitar, playing and singing for a crowd that wasn't there. I threw a couple of dollars into his hat as a token of my appreciation for his enthusiasm and talent. His guitar was just for decoration, but I thought it looked nice on him.

And while I don't envy him his disability, I still hold him as an example. I can't see him ever apologizing to anyone for who he is, nor ever needing to. I've stopped apologizing for who I am, now my goal is being the kind of person who never needs to.

Squick - I am much, much closer to gettin' me some chicken. Thank you for asking. I'm astonished by how much I've learned about myself and the world in general in the last two years. I've made more crap decisions in the last twenty-five months than I had in the previous twenty-five years, and sweet jiminy. It's amazing how fixing and repairing consequences to your actions produce some awfully quick learnin'. I wonder how long it would have otherwise taken me to get this clear a grasp on who I am, clearer than I've ever had before. I guess just some of us have to be stupid to be smart.

Now, I wouldn't presume to say I'm possession of a bucket of the Colonel's original recipe. But I'm certainly inching ever closer to the drive-up menu. [Smile]

[ March 06, 2005, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mr.Squicky--this was a great resurrecto-thread. I remember it originally, even though I never posted on it. I like the depth of emotion that everyone posted, that touches on their core identity. That's rare, in any setting.
I especially liked Jexx's first post. [Hat]

Life is a constant struggle between your identity and where you fit into the social hierarchy--the chicken guy just highlights it. The trick (which I haven't mastered) is to balance the two, somehow.
Morbo

[ March 06, 2005, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

Also, it's an odd sentence, but I am very glad to hear it:
quote:
Squick - I am much, much closer to gettin' me some chicken. Thank you for asking
If anyone deserves a bite o' chicken, you do Toni. [Smile]
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the chicken guy today!

Dan and I were meeting at a small Thai food restaurant to grab some dinner after work, and I spotted the gentleman from my original post walking toward us!

After recovering from the coincidence, I stopped and waved and said "Hi!" and he waved back. He had headphones on, so we weren't able to perform a formal introduction, but the very fact that I posted mere days ago that I feel closer to gettin' me some chicken than ever before and actually SPOTTING the guy that spawned this entire episode to begin with was almost uncanny.

I wanted to go get chicken with him. I have an odd sense of oneness with the universe right now. It's not that I feel the same sense of unself-consciousness I desired a year and a half ago when I first spotted my guy. But I have made the decision to never apologize for who I am. Inappropriate actions, pain I've caused others... of course. But never for who I am.

Maybe the torch has been officially been passed. Perhaps I, too, now have me some chicken. In fact, I know I do.

[ March 10, 2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

quote:
But I have made the decision to never apologize for who I am. Inappropriate actions, pain I've caused others... of course. But never for who I am.
Words to live by.
Morbo

Mormo
Member # 5799

In this case, wouldn't it be a drumstick that's passed, not a torch?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a drumstick . . . until the grease fire.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Was this before or after Elizabeth's Chicken thread?"

Did you have to bring that up, Mothertree? Ha ha.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie wrote:
"This bothers me a great deal. Sometimes I believe it is the ones with most disadvantages that truly appreciate what they have."

This reminds me of an episode of the Sopranos where Tony is talking to the Russian nurse. She has only one leg, and he is so amazed that she is not an alcoholic. Her rsponse went something like this:

You Americans are such babies. You expect to be happy, and you are always disappointed when something goes wrong. The rest of the world expects to be unhapppy, and they are never disappointed. She went on to talk about how we analyze ourselves, etc, when everyone else is too busy to think so much about themselves.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
When I grow-up, I want to be just like Toni.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find interesting, Toni, is your evolution toward an unashamed acceptance of yourself (and how great that is). But also the fact that it is occurring in your late 20's. I, too, have gone through this, and am now at the point where I am happy with the person I am. I know I have things to work on, but, to a certain extent, I "own" myself and am not embarressed by what I like and who I am.

Much of it, as you probably know, if due to the painful divorce I went through this past year. But I think part of it is also the fact that after 10 or 12 years of living as an "adult" and getting into (and out of) all the messes that you do trying to figure yourself out, you finally arrive at peaceful acceptance and a good perspective. I'm 30 years old (soon to be 31) and like myself and am, to a certain extent, largely satisfied with my life and the decisions I've made. There are things that I wish I had done differently. And certainly there are things I wish had never happened. But I've had a good life and am ready for more.

It's a great feeling. And interestingly enough, a friend of mine told me, many years ago, that right after he turned 30, things just seemed to fall into place. He became secure in who he was. It is nice to arrive at this place.

Though I'll not be belting out tunes on an unplugged mike, thank you very much. [Smile] That's just not me.

[ March 10, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the story of this thread [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Mem'ries...
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to be, my default answer to "What are you doing?" was "Is this a trick question?".

Because normally, when the question is presented, what I'm doing is both fairly obvious and mostly odd.

So last weekend I went to the beach with a friend, and as she laid down for a nap and a tan, I went down towards the water to make a sand castle amidst all the crazy spring-breakers. As I was putting up about the third wall/moat combo to combat the advancing tide, she came up behind me and asked what I was doing.

"Gettin' myself some chicken."

Thanks, Ralphie, for giving my friends another reason to think I'm missing screws.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

Gettin' myself some peanuts

Today when we went to Cingular to pay my dad's phone bill, we noticed a middle-aged black woman wearing a purple jogging suit dancing in some grass between rows in the parking lot.
She was just standing there grooving to her own beat.

I waited in the car while Dad went inside. I watched her and heard her say "money" and "Carter" and "peanuts", but couldn't figure out what she talking about.

I asked Dad when he returned what was up with her, and he said,"She wants to put Carter on the money." We watched her dance and listened to her as we pulled out.
"President Carter! On the money! The peanut man!" she would say, in a singsong chant.

As Ben says, that is all. [Smile]
[edit:btw, this is a true story. I'm not mocking Toni or anyone else.]

[ March 11, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I too just wanted to jump in and say that this is one of my favorite threads of all time.

Rawk on Ralphie...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

*bump* just because.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad you bumped this. I'd forgotten about it. I think I still want to be Ralphie when I grow up.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you bumped this. I need to get me some chicken.

Sure do miss Ralphie around here, too.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting some of this chicken?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
<--has become smart enough not to click on Tante's chicken links.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! the CrowsWife is chicken! [Taunt]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fond of gettin' myself some chicken.

I'm prone to getting up on a table at a party and leading the crowd in a round of song-- and everyone knows I don't drink. I throw costume parties at the least provocation-- like New Year's-- or none at all-- just so I can wear the most outrageous one of the bunch. I get together with girlfriends I've known since Brownies and laugh so hard I start snorting-- actually I'm not always the one who starts it-- in public. I laugh and gasp and squeal out loud at books in public libraries. I cry openly at movies. Like, you know, Finding Nemo. I walk my cats on leashes. I sing and dance to amuse the Princess in almost any situation, regardless of decorum. I eat messy food with my fingers and unapologetically get it all over my face. I'm prone to walk down the street singing whatever song's stuck in my head.

Yeah, I likes me some chicken.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

let's all get some chicken!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting observations, everyone. Ralphie, I love that observant eye, that led you to share here in the first place. That is an attribute of you, which I hope you wouldn't give up in pursuit of simple pleasures.

I identify here, but like I others I honestly wouldn't want to be 'that guy.' But why? This quickly becomes a sticky debate in my own head. Which trappings -- which trees in the forest -- am I so attached to, and why?

I go through this exercise when I am working on my household budget. How many phones, internet accounts, cars, toys, cable services, gadgets, etc., do I really need? Okay... none. But god it's hard to let go sometimes.

As for inhibitions and letting out the 'real you': I've slowly come to realize that when people first meet me they consider me a little forbidding, and certainly serious, probably 'dignified,' and possibly boring. Unaccessible.

But I am proud that the people closest to me know otherwise: I am goofy, and punny, and unpredictable, and irreverent, and don't generally take myself too seriously. But I don't feel any imperative to show all those sides of myself to everyone all the time.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
This is such an inspiring thread! [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I accidently clicked as soon as Hatrack loaded without barely even seeing the page and boom! I landed up here. Now thats what you call ironic.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
*Bump*.

I'm really too tired to work it out coherently, but suffice it to say I've been going through some rough times in my head this past week. But today I watched a man ride a bike, holding a box of chicken, and it made me think of this thread. And, as it did 6 months ago, it's encouraged me. Encouraged me to go get me some chicken. This is a tough concept for me to wrap my head around for some reason, but for today it has served its purpose to lift me up before I slid too far.

Yeah. Neato.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My word, 2003 seems like so long ago . . .

*muses*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how Ralphie's doing.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It's weird. I remember that conversation. (If Ralphie reads this some time, I'll put in, I remember all our conversations.) Ralphie captured it so well with the image.

[ July 27, 2006, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I remember this as well. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
::nibbles chicken::
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, great - now I'm hungry.

Cool thread, though. Always worth a resurrection.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

:::spits out feathers:::
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet bump!

I've been considering going out and getting some action figures and playing with them like I used to when I was a kid. I remember hours and hours of fun imagining whole worlds with only a few He-Man and G.I. Joe action figures.

I may have to go get some now. My roommates are going to be surprised to see me crawling around the floor when they come home [Big Grin]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.