FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does spelling matter?

Author Topic: Does spelling matter?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Wlel, waht do you konw!

Kind of thought provoking isn't it?

(Knid of thugoht porkoving ins't it?)

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, and here I was beginning to doubt Hatrack for a brief moment.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Rabbit*

Oh dear.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*

(((((Rabbit)))) [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ppaa Mosoe
Member # 5689

- posted      Profile for Ppaa Mosoe   Email Ppaa Mosoe         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Rbibat)))
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*claws out own eyeballs*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Hobbes, I was out of town last week. Sigh!!

What do you suppose the limits are to this result? How long can a word be, before scrambling the middle letters makes it unintelligble? How common does the work need to be? Does it work as well if you leave out letters or substitute incorrect letters?

[ September 22, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You can take credit for it. We'd never know the difference. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
This is why both phonemic awareness and sight words (whole language) are crucial. Phonics alone doesn't cut it, but neither do sight words.

This little test only works if the words used are words that are already part of your visual memory as 'whole words' or 'sight words.'

Try these:

lasabatce

soucrrur

nitedrian

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Zalamosa, I can't get even one of your words, could you try using them in a sentence. I suspect that context is also extremely important.
Hobbes
Member # 433

(Just so you know Papa Moose, I didn't link yours since Geoff's thread had a link to it via Ralphie. [Smile] ).

Aren't rabbits supposed to be my natural prey? Well I guess techincally not since we don't occupy similar geographic locations so I guess the [Kiss] smilie doesn't represent me bitting you...

[Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
As I was trying to say on the third post when flood protection robbed me: [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Rabbit:

Those words aren't really fair because they're all rather obselete (and that's kind of my point -- I chose these because I figured no one would be likely to know them), but okay:

If they don't shore this wall up soon, it will lasabatce.

The general sent his soucrrur forth to spy on the enemy's camp.

The warm oceans here are abundant will all types of nitedrian.

NOTE: I can't vouch for my jumbles. They were done halisity and so there may be errors.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Are those jumbles done in the same manner as the email (i.e. first and last letter are correct)?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yep. But the words are either obsolete or very specialized.

I should have known that this was going to become a challenge. I'll confirm right answers -- as long as you all make sure that when you teach your kids or any other yunguns you influence to read, you teach them phonetics and at the same time work with them to develop sight words.

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I go and open up my e-mail and guess what's in the darn box!

quote:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

[Wall Bash]

It's going to live forever.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I also noted while reading this thing that my reading rate dips slightly. This is because the eye has to glance at each word and decode it -- you can't take chunks of a sentence together [well except for when there's a two or three letter word i.e. in, at, etc.]. Or at least I couldn't the first time I read it.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I know... I got one the day there were so many of these on the 'rack... [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

After looking at the original, I am quite confident that the spelling is not completely random, double consanants are fall together far more often than would be expected for random permutations.

[ September 22, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

IT'S NOT TRUE!!! It's NOT a real study, it's someone's misunderstanding of a study about HEARING published in Nature in 1999! And I'm not even gonna bother linking to snopes again!

*slightly calmer* And I have now seen this bloody thing TWENTY-TWO times!

I saw the thread title, and I hesitated. But I rather trusted that someone who is so aware of the necessity of scientific accuracy would have checked this with snopes or hoaxbusters or someone. *whimpers*

Make it stop. Please?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Havin onlee wone weigh to zpell a werd showz a lak of tru imaginashun.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan- that actually hurt to read.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Celia Dan meant to do that.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Those jumbles are driving me nuts.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Celia, but I am proud I was able to acheive that level of spelling mis-mastery.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, if I see that again, I'm gonna SCREAM! But thanks for sharing, Rabbit!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dan:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=018511

I was referring to HDD's pain. [Smile]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The third one is doable albeit very specialized. The second one is possible albeit brutal because it's an alternate spelling of an obselete term -- but one that it's possible one of our learned Jatraqueros has read it (especially in the context of military history/royal history of medieval Europe or of classical Greece/Rome). The first one is so obselete as to be an exercise in endless frustration.
saxon75
Member # 4589

I give up. I probably wouldn't recognize those words even if they weren't all jumbled up.
katharina
Member # 827

I'm going to start using lasabatce in sentences.

lasabatce \las-uh-BOT-kee\
1. to crumble, especially into water.

Venice shimmers with the ghosts of the centuries-dead, and I take a long, slow look from the bridge over the Grand Canal, dreading the day these buildings finally lasabatce to the sea.

[ September 22, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

1. labascate
2. scourrur
3. I give up

katharina
Member # 827

*sigh* Or, I suppose I could use the real word.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

*laughs*

I think that's a lovely word kat. I would use it. EDIT: did you make the definition up or is it an actual Italian word? Because if you made it up, it's remarkably close to the actual definition.

And: I bow to the mighty furred one, although I thought that you'd get the third one and not the first one.

1. labascate -- verb = to begin to slide or tilt

2. What's 'scourrur'? The word I based it on is scurrour (alt. splg. = scurrier) -- noun = a scout

BONUS: scurrier has a Star Wars connection

3. neritidan (alt. splg. = nerite) -- noun = a type of brightly-shelled gastropod found near warm water seas; a type of sea-snail.

Again: I didn't know these words -- well, except for scurrier, but I didn't know the alternate spelling. I simply plucked them at random from the dictionary to prove my point.

[ September 22, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

By the way, the answer to the question this thread asks is: I sure hope not!

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

scourrer is an alternative spelling of scourer -- one set out to reconnoitre.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Dang. I missed that one.

For those who are anal like me, here are the various spellings that I've seen so far [kudos to the mighty R for the 'scourer' permutations]:

scourer
scurrier
scourrer
scurrour
scurrior
scurriour

This word may actually come in handy for a novel idea I have.

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
*laughs*

I think that's a lovely word kat. I would use it. EDIT: did you make the definition up or is it an actual Italian word? Because if you made it up, it's remarkably close to the actual definition

*curtseys* [Cool]

I made the defnition up, but took it from the context of your sentence. It had to mean something close to that, and I've been dreaming about Venice lately, so I wanted to include the ocean.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.