FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why can't you go to sleep with your eyes open?

Author Topic: Why can't you go to sleep with your eyes open?
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about this a couple of years ago, and I came across something today (somewhat unrelated, so I won't share it) that made me think of it again.

Why must you close your eyes before going to sleep? Is it biologically necessary? Is it just a habit? Is it possible to learn to sleep with your eyes open (or at least one of them)?

I know somebody who actually does sleep with his eyes open sometimes (we call him "zombie"). He says he has a lot of trouble with sleepwalking and telling the difference between being awake and being asleep. He actually has to remember to close his eyes before going to sleep. On the other hand, I might space out sometimes with my eyes open, but it's never anything like sleep.

I guess your eye muscles must get tired and that's why they close. But why do they always get tired when you get tired? It doesn't seem that it always has to be the case. And it would be really convenient for sleeping through boring lecture classes.

Anyway, I'm just wondering is all.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the trait was naturally selected for because it protects one of our more vulnerable spots.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The metric system.
Freakin' Canadians.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

That's true. A predator would be better able to see your open eyes in the light of the full moon.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Principal
Member # 5721

- posted      Profile for The Principal           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, students, the strange thing is that when your eyes are open, that is their relaxed state!

Where is your teacher?

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

She was eaten by a puma.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I wonder why that made me laugh . . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't I keep my eyes open when I'm awake is a better question.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

quote:
I wonder why that made me laugh . . .

Aside from the ridiculousness of a teacher being eaten by a large cat, puma is just one of those funny-sounding words.

Now that I think about it, to make the joke perfect I should've added:

She was delicious.

But alas, the moment is gone now.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 Jeffrey.

That is all.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

zzz [Eek!]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Jeffrey - do you have an AIM nick. And if not, why the heck not? And if so, can I have it? And if not, why the heck not?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be able to sleep with my eyes open in junior high. Haven't tried it in a long time, so I don't know if I can still do it.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
She's pretty persistant...
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, could be to deprive you of that sense, basically to allow your .. gosh I forget what part of your eye to relax and close, kind of give the brain a little rest from all the data input.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

My AIM nick is jehovoid, but I don't have AIM access right now. I'm at the school liberry gettin' some of that fancy book learnin'.

Oh, and I don't have access at home because my computers busted right now and why would I pay for internet anyway when I can just walk to campus and use a computer.

[ September 23, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Parachat, my boy!
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I have homework to do. And the library closes at midnight. I don't want to start something I can't finish.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

[Frown]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly you can't sleep with your eyes open because your mind is stimulated by the outside images coming in, and is distracted by them, therefore can't get to sleep. If you're tired enough, it's possible that you can sleep with your eyes open...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

[Frown]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

But you're posting and everything.

[Frown]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

And I would only keep you for, like, five minutes.

[Frown]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I swear.

[Frown]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't sleep. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You took Cyber Dan away from me today, and now he's probably sleeping peacefully while you can't sleep.

I feel no pity for you, Raja. NONE.

Okay, a little.

[Frown]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thge thing is, You CAN sleep with your eyes open. Ron used to do it all the time in Vic Lit. He got A's, too. [Wink]

He didn't look really , erm, alert but he could do it. [Hail]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

quote:
And I would only keep you for, like, five minutes.

Instead of famous last words, this would be famous last heards. As in, this is the last thing he heard before no one ever saw him again.

Back to the topic, I wonder if that's what monks are doing when they seem to be in a deep trance. Or, if it's different from sleep, exactly what the difference would be, neurologically speaking. Is anyone hear familiar with a field of science dealing with the various states of consciousness? Do I have to go read a book or something?

Olivet, have you ever asked him how it is he is able to do that?

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of guys around here who can fall asleep with their eyes open, its happened to me a few times, but mostly just because I was that tired that during the war when we got our hour or two off for the night I would just zonk out right away and everyone teased me about how I fell asleep so fast my eyes were still open. Odd to say the least, I know guys who when sleep deprived have just fallen asleep standing up with their eyes open and when someone startles them awake they fall over [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep with my left eye open.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't sleeping with your eyes open keep you more aware of what was going on around you? And as a result be a survival characteristic as opposed to an obstacle?

On the other hand, with visual distractions it might be hard to actually fall asleep in the first place.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't sleeping with your eyes open keep you more aware of what was going on around you?
No. Though people do talk to me like I'm awake till they realize I'm not.

quote:
And as a result be a survival characteristic as opposed to an obstacle?
One would think and knowing me, it sounds plausible. However, I've also been told my every ophthalmologist I've ever seen that my eyes don't close when I blink. The way they say it, it makes me think there is something odd about it. [Wink] Actually, they say that when I blink, my eyes don't close all the way. Which, if you ask me, explains why my eyes are dry all the time. Of course, sleeping with the left one open can't be helpful either.

quote:
On the other hand, with visual distractions it might be hard to actually fall asleep in the first place.
Hmm. . . interesting. I couldn't sleep in the dark if my life depended on it, so I guess I disagree, though the drugs I get to sleep are a good thing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.