FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush rejects call for quick Iraq handover

Author Topic: Bush rejects call for quick Iraq handover
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a headline for another exciting news story on yahoo, but it left me puzzled for several minutes while I tried to figure out who the "Bush rejects" could be.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
So...basically he's saying 'Do it our way!'...but nicer.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
No big surprise. Thanks to Dumya, the United States is pretty much reviled worldwide.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is our President Bartlet? I'd vote for that man. INstead...we get...Mr. Needs-Speech-Classes.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I start a political thread? Crap.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Don't worry Annie, they are a bunch of rejects. They'll get it sooner or later.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] bada ba, ch

[ September 24, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: rayne ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

See, folks, it the Bush rejects that are calling for "Quick Iraq Handover."

You know, those whom Bush rejected. Bush rejects.

This isn't a serious thread to discuss the speech or anything. It's a funny headline that can be read two ways. Get it?

Just laugh and move on.

rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, gotcha
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Human, he's trying to point out that the situation in Iraq is too unstable to turn over power quickly. What good would it do to hand everything to an interim government and have them declare themselves dictators, or be shot by one, a month later?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Macc, you're right on that one. Turning over the leadership of Iraq to the Iraqis right now would be a terrible thing.

1. They have no constitution yet.

2. They have set up no way to elect representatives.

3. They have already booted Al Jazeera out of the country, pointing at a possible lack of freedom of the press. And that means that they may want to squelch dissent rather than work to fix it.

4. The fighting is OBVIOUSLY not over. The Iraqi Army is being rebuilt as a security force, but it wouldn't take much to have a military coup and possible reinstatement of Saddam.

5. The current Iraqi leadership group hasn't shown much initiative in getting the country back on its feet. They're leaving it up to us. We leave now, they may never have a chance to improve.

This is one of the few Bush policies in Iraq that I'm agreeing with. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
*Makes long and radical political statements, followed by a string of ad hominem attacks, then reports everybody else to the moderator, and reafirms all points previously made* [Evil] Muwaahahahaha!
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then.
I think this one is fraught with peril. Especially for Papa Moose.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack!
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In Afghanistan we got out early, turning the government over to the people very quickly.

The result was 20 years of warlord led civil war with a final victory of the Taliban.

Lets not make that mistake again no matter what some Euorpean Bush bashers seeking petty revenge say.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, cutting and running after European Colonial exploitation of Africa really worked so well for those manifold countries in Africa didn't it?

Good lord, whether you hate Bush or not, can't people see how thoroughly insane it would be to simply leave and let the U.N. take care of things, as they have so well, in so many other discontented hot spots the world over.

Anyway, sorry for being yet another poster who ignored the original intent of the thread, but I just felt like adding my 2 cents.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.