FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quicksilver

Author Topic: Quicksilver
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
It's out and now I have a copy!!!!

It's even published on nice paper. But for 27.95 it had better be on nice paper. Although you can get it with a discount at many places at the moment. Now I just need to find a few days to read it. [Smile]

[ September 24, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: sarahdipity ]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm number 14 in the hold queue at my local library. I can't hardly wait. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Neal Stephenson was giving a reading of it at my University last night and I just found out about it today!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Fill me in, this is new Neal Stephenson? I'm not in the loop with him but having recently read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon I'm anxious to devour more. The Diamond Age is next.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Yup, it's a new book, a huge book, which will be the first in a trilogy. The buzz is good, and it's Stephenson, so it must be good.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
but this is not the continuation of Cryptonomicon?
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

From Amazon:

quote:
Stephenson's very long historical novel, the first volume of a projected trilogy, finds Enoch Root, the Wandering Jew/alchemist from 1999's Cryptonomicon, arriving in 1713 Boston to collect Daniel Waterhouse and take him back to Europe. Waterhouse, an experimenter in early computational systems and an old pal of Isaac Newton, is needed to mediate the fight for precedence between Newton and scientist and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, both of whom independently invented the calculus. Their escalating feud threatens to revert science to pre-empirical times. Root believes Waterhouse, as a close friend to both mathematicians, has the ability to calm the neurotic Newton's nerves and make peace with Leibniz. As Waterhouse sails back to Europe (and eludes capture by the pirate Blackbeard), he reminisces about Newton and the birth of England's scientific revolution during the 1600s. While the Waterhouse story line lets readers see luminaries like Robert Hooke and Isaac Newton at work, a concurrent plot line follows vagabond Jack Shaftoe (an ancestor of a Cryptonomicon character, as is Waterhouse), on his journey across 17th-century continental Europe. Jack meets Eliza, a young English woman who has escaped from a Turkish harem, where she spent her teenage years. The resourceful Eliza eventually rises and achieves revenge against the slave merchant who sold her to the Turks. Stephenson, once best known for his techno-geek SF novel Snow Crash, skillfully reimagines empiricists Newton, Hooke and Leibniz, and creatively retells the birth of the scientific revolution. He has a strong feel for history and a knack for bringing settings to life. Expect high interest in this title, as much for its size and ambition, which make it a publishing event, as for its sales potential-which is high.

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

hmmm... might have to bump The Diamond Age back a notch...

So is Root an immortal or a time traveler?

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that these are supposed to be the ancestors of his characters.

From wired http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/history.html

quote:

The ancestors of Cryptonomicon characters cross paths with Isaac Newton and his peers against a backdrop of several continents, a couple of wars, and one fundamental change in the way humans view the world. In the context of the 1600s, Stephenson examines the nature of money, the interdependency of Europe, and the consequences of transformative scientific advances. The writing schedule is ambitious, too: The first book, Quicksilver, is out this month, and the next two will follow at six-month intervals.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is time traveller, as ::SPOILER:::

He dies midway through Cryptonomicon yet reappears later in the book's timeline.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course it only inserted two line breaks. Oh well.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

CONTINUING SPOILER...
I just thought he mysteriously survived... does it show him actually die?

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
some fun stuff about Quicksilver, the Baroque Cycle series, and Neil Stephenson...

http://www.baroquecycle.com/letter1.htm
a message from Neil Stephenson about the book

http://www.baroquecycle.com/flash.htm
cryptographic puzzle put up on the main page of the site

http://www.substream.com/crackingthecode.html
the story of the guy who cracked the code

http://slate.msn.com/id/2088510
interesting slate aritcle about the series

*SPOILER*

oh, and about Enoch, you're right TAK, they never show him really die, they just pronounce him dead, and then Rudy walks out of the same building with a man mysteriously wrapped in cloth, whose whole body is hidden, including his face.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

SPOILER TALK

Yeah that whole part was rather confusing. Sigh now I need to read it faster. However I do know the first chapter says that the years have been kind to Root and that he doesn't look his age. So maybe he is immortal or a time traveler. I guess I'll read the book and then speculate. [Smile]

Random web speculation as to what he is follows:

http://weblog.quartzcity.net/archives/2002/11/28/whats_the_deal_with_enoch_root.html
http://www.cafeaulait.org/cryptonomicon.html

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

Okay I've only managed to get 200 pages in to the book but nothing is really happening at all. *sigh* Maybe it's just not the time to read this book, especially if I have some other stuff to read.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.