FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here participated in this?

Yes, it may inspire crap, but out of roughly 3000 people who've completed the challenge, three have sold the resulting novels. One in a thousand odds aren't bad. ^_~

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh no. Not Again.

Yet another way to humiliate me once again for my lack of drive and procastinating nature.

[ September 24, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

[Blushing] Shoulda searched the archives. Oh well - consider this to be this year's reminder. ^_~

I'm gonna do it. I've written crappy novels that have taken much longer; I'll look at it as an exercise in time management.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Renewed my login this morning, already making notes for it. This year, I'm going the Tom Holt route.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Did you complete the challenge last year?

I'd love to read what other hatrackers have done - either at the end of this year's challenge or from challenges past. How long have you been participating?

Q.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Tom Holt?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit the 50,000 mark, but didn't finish the novel. And as the novel was based on a ridiculous satirical premise (a reality show where overweight contestants go on a weight-loss regime in front of 24/7 cameras) that was actually done in another country within a few months, I dropped the book and have since harvested an article, a column, and a short story out of it [Smile]
Here's the thread after the ordeal...

Tom Holt is an extremely popular British writer of funny fantasy novels who hasn't quite jumped the ocean yet. He tends to favor books that bring mythological characters into modern day. He doesn't hit as hard, as well, or nearly as consistently as, say, Terry Pratchett, but when he's hot he's fantastic.

I'm planning on a book about an investigator's discovery of a previously unknown bastard son of Zeus who's kept his head down all these millenia. Working title: "Swanson."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::sigh:: Not again.

Stupid writers. can I half finish two separate novels? does that count?

NI!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
im in. im gonna do it.

unless i change my mind...

and dont do it.

but otherwise, im in. and im gonna do it.

ive already got 24 words right here. now its thirty one! thirty five! thirty seven! thirty nine...

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Also, if any of the interested parties are LJers, a new community called 1700wordsperday should be up and running very shortly.

1700WordsPerDay isn't that much, though, when you think about it - about a standard, fascinating essay length.

And, in an attempt to derail my own thread, how many Jatraqueros are also LJers? I've run upon Leonide's, but other than that, I haven't really seen many others. Except Lissande's, but she doesn't count.

Q.

[ September 24, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: asQmh ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Lissande is mathematically literate.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Zalmoxis: *snickers* I liked that. And I need some stupid jokes right now. Thanks.

Q, there's a whole bunch of us who are LJers. We've had a few threads on LiveJournal, as well. I'd search for one, but I've worked overtime the past two days and didn't have a lunch break today, so I'm feeling too lazy right now. *grins*

Just got a notice that my NaNoWriMo account was expiring. I will be renewing it, as I want to focus on my writing in the upcoming months. Have no idea what I would write, though.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

I kind of figured there had been several. I was mid-post, however, and didn't search for the same reasons.

Zal: Nah, I can speak with authority here. Not only is Lissa mathematically illiterate, but she's numerically incompetant in several languages. I think, though, that it's by choice. She's just weird like that.

Q.

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I never made it to 50,000 last year. I will be doing it again this year, hoping for better results.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it, but there's this little thing know as college applications.......
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Heh. I'm going to do it. I'm taking a grad class and working full time, but I like the idea of having such a pressing deadline. When I was in college, we had a writing group in which we wrote (by theme) a short story one week, critiqued it in group the next. We eventually were able to assign a short story on Tuesday and critique a first draft by Thursday of the same week. I miss that kind of pace. And even if I fail miserably, it'll give me some sludge from which to pull later works.

That's my rationalization, anyway. ^_^

Q.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.