FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want Aaron Sorkin back

Author Topic: I want Aaron Sorkin back
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Did anyone see tonight's episode?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
West coast. Hasn't been shown yet.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they appear to talk slower. I hope they don't drag this line out.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw part of it. I think they really took the "dark" look too far. Yeah, I know what they were probably trying for, but all it did was irritate me.

And, yeah, I want them to get this story arc over with so we can have Bartlett back as president. But I'll miss John Goodman when that happens, not because I like his character much, but because he's such a good actor, and such fun to watch.

All in all, I agree - I want Aaron Sorkin back, too.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't as crisp, and well, there weren't as many words. And no, jeni, I don't think they spoke as quickly. *sigh* In other words, it felt like every other drama.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not as crisp, but I watched knowing that it wasn't going to be Aaron Sorkin and just hoping that it wasn't turning into a Prime Time soap opera.

I for one, however, like that they aren't talking as fast. I actually caught most of the words, even over a screaming baby and cursing husband (he was installing child safety locks on the lower kitchen cabinets and it wasn't going well).

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it.

The whole time it just felt wrong, and not just the obvious stuff. I doubt it was intentional but the non-Sorkin aspect helped the feeling that things just weren't right.

And I agree about missing John Goodman when he leaves. He's going a GREAT job.

But I want Bartlett back too.

[ September 25, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: just_me ]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest difference was that it was slower. I'm not just talking about the dialogue, I'm talking about the changes. The general speed of the interactions, and topics, and even the gags, "Will's hair," wasn't as set-up as it could have been. It was a sight-gag instead of a clever joke. The ensemble wasn't clicking like a symphony. Before the scene with Will's hair, there should have been some off handed comment about Will sleeping in his office or how he has a cowlick. Something that would have made the gag have punch.It lost that "Play" aspect that I've come to enjoy. Did they change directors, too? They did that shaky camera thing in the War Room and I was about to turn the channel out of protest. I don't need a camera shaking to know that everyone in the room is agitated.

I do like how they made Walken competent. I like that a lot. I also like how they can contrast this with Bartlet (it really should have two "T"s but on the show it only has one) look like a fuddy-duddy. I don't know how well this guy writes for John Spencer, but I had the feeling that John Spencer had to do more work in this episode than he has usual to convey emotion. There was a lot more lingering in this episode. It made sense for In the shadow of Two Gunmen because Josh's life was in the balance. But in this one, I don't think that anyone is emotionally attached to Zoey so they can move the pace a little quicker. We know that everyone is sad, I want to know what they are going to do about it.

I liked the scene where Josh realized that they may have made a mistake, and I like the press conference. But everything else should have been sped up.

[ September 25, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most things that have been said. However, I try not to pay attention to those things until I'm watching reruns or repeat-viewings off the VCR. I allow myself to sink into the story and suspend my disbelief, and with a show full of characters such as this, where I care about most or all of them, it's easy to overlook even the worst of the show's mechanical foibles.

Bartlet should have appointed Leo as VP, then invoked the 25th. But where would the fun be? (Plus, I don't know if that's legally feasible in real life, and if it's not, the show wouldn't do it, right?)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciated the risk and emotional intensity involved when CJ told Danny to publish his article "now, right now," so she could keep the deal in principle that she made with him earlier, that if he would hold off for three days, he would still get his scoop. In actual fact, she was showing disloyalty to the acting president, who had just said he wanted to pre-empt Danny with an announcment.

It was also intense beneath the surface when the acting president asked CJ to fix his tie, and when she was close, he murmured how unfortunate it was that Danny happened to publish his story just before the administration could pre-empt him with its announcement. Unspoken message: he knew what she did.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Will's hair," wasn't as set-up as it could have been. It was a sight-gag instead of a clever joke. The ensemble wasn't clicking like a symphony. Before the scene with Will's hair, there should have been some off handed comment about Will sleeping in his office or how he has a cowlick.
They did. Toby (I think it was Toby) had to knock on the door three times, each knock getting louder. You didn't know why he was knocking until the usually buttoned-up Will came out unbuttoned.

A criticism of Sorkin had been that every character on the show spoke with his voice. That was part of the charm, but probably true. It's appropriate that they are all adrift, both in the plot and with the dialogue.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it for the Josh and Donna moment at the end. Heaven help me, that was a better, sweeter moment than all of sexist Aaron Sorkin's beat-on-Donna "flirting" scenes put together.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few quick comments:

1. Was anyone else just falling apart seeing Leo do so? I mean... gosh, it's Leo. [Frown]

2. I hate the new president so they better find Zoey fast.

4. Ditto Katharina's remarks on Donna and Josh. I thought it may have been a bit rushed in timing as far as seasons go but no complaints there. As far as I'm concerned, it's about time.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

It looks like Aaron Sorkin is making a new movie about Philo. T. Farnsworth. I think I know a dozen people who claim relation to him in IRL, and I'm sure there are a hand-full of Hatrackers who are equally proud.

I wonder if they are going to mention Baird?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.