FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just state your title please. Or, please stop using the "or" and second title.

Author Topic: Just state your title please. Or, please stop using the "or" and second title.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Please?

Please please please?

Or am I the ONLY one this bothers?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you give me an example of what you're talking about?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

You're the only one.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's just you. I've noticed you're weird like that.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Why mack! That post took the form of a title . . .

OR

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, mack. It also bothers me when people use colons to make exceptionally long titles. When I first heard the title Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World I actually groaned.

There are a few exceptions to my distaste for these practices. Technical articles and essays don't bug me too much when they use the colon to extend the title. And really old stories don't bug me when they use the "or." For example, Frankenstein: or, the Modern Prometheus doesn't bug me at all. Actually, maybe the rule is that it doesn't bug me as long as the alternate title doesn't appear on the cover, because Slaughterhouse Five: or, the Children's Crusade doesn't bother me either.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Dr. Strangelove?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Mack? You're not the only weird one. You can have a support group!

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Title. Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done that, and it incidentally doesn't bother me at all. Remember The Worst Pain Ever, or My Hot Stinging Brain?

Of course, I had viral meningitis at the time, so maybe that's forgivable. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think that Dr. Strangelove: or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is an awesome title.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
to all of those who call me weird: --I--

(Don't click the link if you are easily offended. Seriously.)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you FIND that? OR don't give me any ideas. [ROFL]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Smooth editing job on the title, mack!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
*collects royalties, leaves*
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.