FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We are seeing OSC in Ohio tomorrow (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: We are seeing OSC in Ohio tomorrow
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This means blacwolve if you want to bring a friend or chaperone along we do have room.

Ooh!! Ooh!!! Me!! *puts hand up* If blacwolve is allowed, I might too!!!!!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
First we have to see if I'm allowed.......
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, yeah, me too...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I totally understand about the drive. I was a little reluctant too, but I've driven farther to dog shows and this is a much more uncommon event. Would we be able to get Christy down to Chicago so she could come with us anyway? We have room for one more. Maybe she could take the train into Chicago?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. You people with daytime Internet access, making all the spiffy plans. I feel rather left out.

In other words, I would love to come. [Big Grin] It depends on the finances, though. Still trying to crawl myself out of a rather large hole.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

- posted      Profile for meltingsnowman           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand like impatient child*
OHHHH I want to go to!, and i know blacwolve pretty well.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*glares at meltingsnowman*

Hmph! I think I claimed that seat FIRST! And I've known her longer than YOU have!! [Razz]

meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

well....welll um.....well I can drive, so there!
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

So, you see? Problem solved! You drive yourself, I'll go with them... [Razz]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

*cough*One of you has never read anything by OSC*cough*
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*smacks blacwolve*
meltingsnowman
Member # 4559

smacking wolves can prove to be bad for ones health... [No No] [Razz]
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be able to come. It will however involve a bit of a greyhound trip for me, which will take some extensive planning. Meaning that the two buses from here to Cincinnati arrive at 6:00 am and 7:40 pm. So are there any good ideas as what to I should do from 6:00 am til the signing. An alternative may be to take a bus into a city near Deadhorse and catch a ride with her to Cincinnati. I'd be willing to split gas with her if I did. Unfortunately I'm not studying to be an engineer, but biology majors are trustworthy too.

As a side note, I was disappointed to discover that OSC is coming to a town near Seattle only 40 minutes from house, and I wouldn't fly in for Thanksgiving until the next week. So I was elated to find that he'd be coming to Ohio, and I could feasibly get there even if it takes 12-24 hours to get there by bus. So [Party]

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be able to come, depending on my schedule. I live in Lexington, so I am going to see how easy it would be to go to that one. Probably I will be able to drive up to Cinci, but if I have to work the next day I might not stay the night.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ,
I should probably head back late Friday night, unless there are so many people in the room that splitting the cost makes it incredibly cheap. I don't mind the floor, but if I sleep I use a CPAP machine that makes noise that bothers some people.(it's a little blower motor) But it does keep me from snoring like a hog.

Audeo, You could meet me anywhere between Zanesville and Columbus at a stop near I-70.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can almost certainly get Christy as far as Chicago. Are you interested, darling?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
So am I on the agenda for Saturday? I need to start plannig. Also, how many people will be invading? I sort of need to break it to my wife. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

As far as I'm concerned you are on the agenda msquared. I don't know how many people will be coming with though but it is looking like at least 6.

I guess I should start looking into nearby motels. I don't know how many people we are actually allowed to cram per room without violating fire regulations.

Normally a Motel 6 doesn't cost more than $55/night so that would probably come out to around $10/person.

Doing my van-seat count again. We might need another car for some of the Indiana people. I'm going to give priority to the Chicago-area types because we have the farthest to go.

Definite
AJ
Celia
Hobbes

Chicago area possiblities
Christy
xnera
Steve? (I didn't get a chance to talk to him last night because they were having the jujitsu class in our family room)

That puts us at 6 already 7 would be tight but doable

Indiana possiblities
blacwolve
melting snowman
Raia

If you three are all friends IRL and live near each other then maybe you could do a joint carpool. It sounds like at least one of you has a car. This could possibly make objecting parents happier. We could still caravan down and all crash together in the motel room.

AJ

I think it is only fair that blacwolve has priority of the Indiana group because we have already been sending e-mails back and forth. So if there is one person to squeeze in for that 7th seat, it will be her.

AJ

[ September 26, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
modest pajamas are mandatory
why do i think that was directed at me?

ok, this all sounds good so far. how are we for cargo space? (meaning: how many books should i try to limit myself to? do you want me to through a few games in?) i can fit everything i need for an overnight trip into a backpack, but that is excluding stuff i want signed.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

That is a good question. I think with careful packing we can fit all books in. They are flat and would fit under the seats if worse came to worse. Even with the back seat in I still have considerable cargo storage in the trunk. I would say that we should limit our personal effects other than books to small backpack/duffle bags no larger than an airline carryon. I only plan on bringing my hardbacks for him to sign, but we can find room for paperbacks too.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also the "modest pajamas" regulation is coming from the person formerly known as The 4th Floor Dorm Nudist. So it was to remind myself as well. And to allay any fears on the part of blacwolves parents and other such unsuspecting types.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I believe it is illegal to drive in the nude. Plus even a true nudist (which I'm not, I just have the nickname) would be crazy to be unclothed in November in Ohio. It's too dang COLD!!!

[Big Grin]

AJ

blacwolve
Member # 2972

We can all drive together, I'm fairly certain that would forestall most objections. We'll confer tonight and decide.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
So.... is it November 21st yet?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think Steve has bowed out, he wasn't terribly interested when I mentioned it. So that opens up another seat!

I guess I should start finding motels around the area but I don't really feel like doing that til a couple weeks before.

AJ

msquared
Member # 4484

Banna
I agree that you should wait on making reservations. However you may want to call a few places down there and see if there are any major sporting events for that weekend, like UC Vs. Kentucky baskedball. I would hate to see you all drive down and then not get a room.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
While you all are in town, I higly recommend that you give some of our local tastes a try. Skyline Chili or Larosa's Pizza or great. For a more pricey dinner, you could go for montgomery inn ribs.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Good point. I'll keep my eye out for such things!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Skyline Chili is awesome. I'd better NOT tell Steve we are thinking of going there. Either that or I'll have to bring the takeout home with me.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Christy and xnera, I guess we can talk possible plans for carpooling to Ohio at the sleepover right?

AJ

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, sorry, I'm still indecisive!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and his friends have driven to Skyline Chili (from Lexington) many times, most at odd hours in the morning. I hear it is quite tasty.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
thats about status quo for cincinnati! (this is coming from a cincinnatian)

I love my city, but lately we seem to have gotten a lot of bad publicity. From the reds and bengals, to a scout leader on survivor. And then a crying bachelorette on the bachelor. awwww!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

For the numbers:

Meltingsnowman and I will be driving down on our own, staying with you guys (if that's ok?) and coming to m^2's for lunch the next day, assuming we do that. This is pending extremely likely parental approval. Raia will be coming with us, pending extremely unlikely parental approval.

Raia
Member # 4700

*pouts* What blacwolve said... but I'm working on it!!!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Fantastic! THanks for the events update. I need to go get my AAA membership renewed so we can get a AAA discount at whatever motel six we stop at.

blackwolve, will you meet us to caravan down or at the bookstore, and if you are meeting us to caravan, where, in Indy or W. Lafayette?

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok time is drawing near. I read on the other side of this forum when OSC was at a convention recently they were limiting people to two books. Will that be an issue here?

I'm having my tonsils out next week so I'll probably be on the computer a lot to distract me from my misery. I'll try to get more details worked out then.

Hatrack ladies, we didn't discuss this at all at the slumber party, so I need more input.

AJ

celia60
Member # 2039

ok, i think you're picking up hobbes and i at my place, as it's on the wayish. what time will that be at? we might want to get there early enough to check into the hotel first.

where are we staying?

what was the final list on who's going?

i'm hoping the two book limit thing doesn't apply as i have more than 2 things to get signed for other people.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Celia I hope to have the answers to all your questions in the next week. Especially on the "who's going" You and Hobbesy are definitely coming with me. Other than that, i'm not sure and I would aprreciate hearing from people. (Christy, xnera etc.)

AJ

msquared
Member # 4484

Bump for beatnix.

msquared

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, when it gets a bit closer I'm sure there will be a new thread to discuss final plans. I usually have to wait on my wife's work schedule to plan events like this and she gets it only a week in advance.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Can meltingsnowman, myself, my brother, and Raia if she comes stay with you guys?
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
so is msquared the only person besides me who's going to dayton?

[edit: i stuttered.]

[ October 30, 2003, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to go to dayton. It works out better with my schedule
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

All you Dayton people e-mail me so that we can be sure to get together. I will be there early and save you seats.

msquared

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time i went to a OSC signing the wife lost all our film so we might be showing up at the Cincinnati location.

Edit: Correction, the Cincinnati location.

[ October 30, 2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Doug J ]

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Anna. I'm just not together. Right now I think its looking like no.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

*is still very much in*

blacwolve, do you mean caravan with us, stay in our hotel or what?

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Blacwolve, you are aware Celia's coming, aren't you? [Dont Know]

[Razz] [Taunt] [Razz]

<--*Is still in like low riding*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

No, we're driving on our own, since it's going to be really out of your way and there will hopefully be four of us. We just want to stay with you, sharing costs of hotel rooms and all. And hang out with you, and everything else. Unless you don't want us, of course.

Hobbes: [Monkeys]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.