FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ralphie the Carnie

Author Topic: Ralphie the Carnie
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
btw, Synesthesia - congrats on getting a job. I didn't want to take away from the coolness of your thread, but I done landed myself a temporary position, too.

It's only for the month of October, but I will be the official dining room attendant for the performers of Cirque de Soleil while they are in Portland on tour. This means I get to hang out with the performers and perm staff, making specialty coffee and helping out in their gourmet kitchen.

Apparently it was a pretty coveted position, and I was one of only five people (out of hundreds that applied) to get it. Groovy.

However, it is still officially working for the circus, so I would like to be referred to as Ralphie the Carnie from now on. I anticipate becoming a large, hairy man sporting a greased-out shirt, smoking cigars and scaring small children by tomorrow morning.

Also, it means I'm working full-time away from my system for about a month. So, the next time you see me after today I'll be typing with my huge hams for fists.

[Smile]

[ September 25, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Ralphie! What more can I say?

Congrats!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Have fun. [Big Grin]

We'll miss you, oh ham-handed one.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! Congratulations!!

Pat an acrobat for us. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Kat - On the bottom? Sho thang!

Thanks, guys. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed that all of the travelling carnivals have the little disclaimer signs on their rides to state that carnies have to pass a background check now?

Too bad Toni, hope they don't find out.

I'll have a grande latte with a triple shot. (congrats)

[Wink]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patsy
Member # 5699

- posted      Profile for Patsy   Email Patsy         Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO cool, Ralphie! Congratulations!
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] Will miss Ralphie-sama!! But have a great time with the circus freaks.... Finally, Ralphie is where she belongs.

Barker: Come see the human skeleton! The Dust Witch! And Ralphie the Rackmaster!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
B-b-b-but you'll still be online when you get home, right?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffles* I'm gonna miss you, Ralphie...
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patsy
Member # 5699

- posted      Profile for Patsy   Email Patsy         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important question, though, is whether or not you'll be able to keep playing Mafia.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yeah,I won't be perma-gone. I'll only be cutting my time back by a ton.

I can still play. I'll just probably get knocked off or lynched. [Smile]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Coolness... be sure to yuse your wiles to increase sales (assuming you will get commission)
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, that's AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!! I went to see the Cirque Du Soleil in Chicago a few weeks ago (or a month? Hmm...) Anyway, they were phenomenal!!! That's so exciting!!!

[The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Hatrack Carnies Club! [Big Grin]

Which show is it?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, are you going to grow a beard?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
excellent. congratulations [Big Grin] [Party]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie, are you going to grow a beard?
[Confused]

I already have a beard.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what fun! Enjoy, good luck and I second that audacious idea of patting some buns - [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I am jealous. I am a huge huge huge Cirque Du Soleil fan. I have five of their specials on tape/DVD, and I've seen them live four times. Have fun!
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool is that? Ralphie is officially a circus geek!

I've always wanted to see the Cirque de Soleil live; what I've seen on TV has been incredible.

Congratulations!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool for you, congrats !
[The Wave]

[ September 26, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Alegria.

I worked as an usher for Cirque in June and July (Dralion, in Hartford). It was really cool being able to see the show over and over again. And the food is amazing. Have fun! [Smile]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the side shows make lots of money. congrats Ralphie.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is Alegrķa the one you are working for? Cool.

I saw Drahlion (sp?) when it toured down to Miami, and of course I live right next to La Nouba. I wonder if anybody else here has seen both traveling and stationary shows, and if so, what you think of them? I prefer La Nouba of the two that I have seen. A big part of it is stagecraft that they simply can't match on the road. But I also prefer the music, so *shrug*. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I saw Drahlion that all I have is my vague impressions and what I remember having felt at the time, but not specific comparisons.

What do you think, xnera?

And how do you feel about taped shows versus live? I mean, obviously tape can't compare to a live performance, but how wide is the gap for you? Both shows I've seen amaze and overwhelm me when I see them live, but I always find myself bored by the tapes. Am I alone in this?

Oh, and if you buy a T-shirt, buy it big. They run small.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.