FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To All Harry Potter Fans... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: To All Harry Potter Fans...
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read 20 of them
[Smile]

What I don't understand is how 'Bridge to Terebithia' got challenged more frequently than 'Sex' by Madonna!

[ September 28, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can't have worldly inspiration without being a little worldly. The school system seems to think that it's an adequate sacrifice. The kids who really want it will go looking for it, I hope.

Also, I like seeing how some children's books are being more challenged than Cujo.... Man alive, that's ridiculous.

[ September 29, 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
Children's books naturally get challenged more than books for grown-ups. Sex and Cujo wouldn't be in the shelves with the children's books, and they wouldn't be stocked in elementary school libraries at all--and schools are where a lot of the challenges happen. People are far more interested in protecting their children's minds from smut, filth, and scary/sinful ideas (real or perceived) than they are in protecting other adults, especially in public schools.
Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I don't understand is how 'Bridge to Terebithia' got challenged more frequently than 'Sex' by Madonna!
Probably Bridge to Terabithia is in more school libraries than Sex.

*sigh* I wrote this totally overlooking that dangermom had just said this, what, five hours ago?

[ September 29, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends won't read the HP series because she thinks it's "devil-worship". I'll tell you, if no one else in the world challenged the Harry Potter books but her family, it would still find its way onto the list of challenged books. [Roll Eyes] But she listens to music with profanity in it because it's "expression". Tee-hee. Silliness.
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a debate with several people a couple years back about the end of The Giver. I thought it was like the end of Hans Christian Anderson's The Matchbook Girl; several other disagreed. We tried to find textual proof, and I eventually convinced at least one person I was right.

But apparently Lowry didn't intend that at all! That makes me very happy, actually -- I thought that book deserved a happy ending. [Smile]

Speed, thanks for that explanation re James and the Giant Peach. I guess my third-grade teacher (who read the book to us, a few pages a day, as a reward for getting our work done) was just leading us down a terrible path. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.