FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do Not Call list unconstitutional?

Author Topic: Do Not Call list unconstitutional?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So the National "Do Not Call" list has been blocked again, but this time the objection has more bite. The first time it got blocked it was because the judge didn't feel the FTC had the power to enact it. Congress leaped to the rescue and passed a bill in 24 hours to say, basically, "Yes it does, too."
Now it's been blocked by another judge on the basis of inconsistency - since it blocks commercial calls but not others - saying that such discrimination is unconstitutional and a violation of Free Speech.

What do you guys think?

[ September 26, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on whether or not phone numbers to private homes are considered public domain. No, I don't think it is - you have the right to say anything, but I don't have to listen to you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, more to the point, let's say that I explicitly told you not to call me. If you called me anyway, that's called "harrassment", and it's illegal.

Well, with this Do-Not-Call list, millions of people said "do not call me" to telemarketers. If they call you anyway, isn't that still harrassment?

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it unconstitutional for a private community to post a sign saying "No Solicitors"? If we can block an door-to-door salesman from coming to our door, why can't we block one from calling us on the phone?
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I discussed this with my partner, who used to practice as a lawyer for the Commerce Dept. in another state.

According to her, commercial speech is subject to certain restrictions which individual free speech is not. So the judge's reasoning isn't necessarily a valid one.

The legal debate will be whether or not the "do not call" list falls under restrictions already recognized in other court cases and in statute.

Take it for what it's worth. It's second-hand. But I'm trying to give just the points I'm sure I remember accurately.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
It lets politicians and non-profits call. I can see non-profits, but the politician's part IS rather inconsistent
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be a tough argument for the telemarketers to make (although I guess they have already managed to convince at least one judge, or at least make him wonder.)

First, as has been pointed out, commercial speech is not protected to the same extent other kinds of speech are.

Second, the speech being restricted is not taking place in a public forum, but in private homes and businesses. Public speech is entitled to greater protection.

Third, aside from the Freedom of Speech arguments, there might be a Equal Protection argument, but I'm not too crazy about that one.

Maybe the argument they're trying to get in under is one based on the Commerce Clause. I'm not sure how that one would go, though. I think I'll see if I can find anything more informative about what the judge has actually said.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe what they're trying to do is say you can't block some without blocking all. The telemarketers know that there isn't as much support for blocking charity calls, and politicans won't vote for anything that blocks their fundraising and opinion poll calls, so they wnat to force the issue.
If putting your name on a list means you can't be harassed, the logic here means that you shouldn't be called by anyone.

This is going to be really annoying if this stretches on. I know what the short-term effect will be: any telemarketer, any of them, that calls me will get maybe three words out before I demand to be placed on their own do-not-call list, as well as any afiliate lists they may own.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
This is ridiculus. Barring political ads within 30 days of an election IS constitutional but asking telemarketers not to harass you during dinner ISN'T? What does this ruling do for the Telephone Consumer Protection Act? Is it unconstitutional now to require companies to maintain their own Do Not Call List?

The First Admendment is all about Political speech. Yes, it protects other forms of speech as well, but the reason it's in there. The reason the founding fathers thought it important enough to be the FIRST THING amended in the constitution was because people were being shipped off to Australia or hanged for political speech against the King under their old system.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand it.

The Constitution gives me the right to speak. Therefore it must impose the responsibility that YOU MUST LISTEN.

I am giving a speech in 1/2 hour. Everyone will report to the meeting hall and listen to my incoherent speaking then.

On the way out you must buy my audio tape of my speech, otherwise you are interfering with my right to speak.

Basically, this is just another example of a corporate organization paying expensive lawyers to get done what they think they need doing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be unconstitutional if the government simply illegalized telemarketing. However, I think the do-not-call list is different because it involves a list of individuals who chose to add their names. Because of that, it's more akin to giving the phone owner the power to block certain callers than illegalizing a certain sort of speech.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barring political ads within 30 days of an election
[Confused] Don't I wish! We get political ads up until election day here in CA -- is this a state law you refer to?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

They were blocked by the Election Reform Bill, which is being challenged for that and other reasons. It had good intentions, but blocking the ads is too close to infringing on Free Speech.

And thank you Tresopax, that was the simplest and best counter to the judge's argument I've heard.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Campaign Finance Reform bans political ads, not paid for by a candidate but that mentions a candidate within 30 days of an election.

It is a brutal attack on free speech that has been found constitutional. It makes me wonder which Constitution they were reading.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.