FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anybody ever heard of this? ENTER AT YOUR OWN PERSONAL HEALTH RISK (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Has anybody ever heard of this? ENTER AT YOUR OWN PERSONAL HEALTH RISK
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're supposed to use all four 9s, Rabbit, not "up to" four 9s. And I think the (a) it's too easy with the gamma function, and (b) if I were the teacher, I wouldn't allow it anyway, since it could certainly be argued that it's a function, not an operation. But that could be said for factorial, also, so I don't know....

However, gamma or no, this was a fun exercise, and my brain needed that. Thanks. Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa,
quote:
mathematical operation
n : calculation by mathematical methods

quote:
mathematical function
n : a mathematical relation such that each element of one set is associated with at least one element of another set.

It's been along time since I've done any set theory but I believe it could be argued that a function is a mathematical operation.

I was a bit confused by the phrase "may use only four nines", I should read more carefully. My answers can be adapted to have exactly four nines by adding (9-9) when I used only two nines and adding log(gamma(gamma(√9)) where I used three.

I thought it was quite a fun puzzle, even if there are multiple solutions to the problem.

[ September 30, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was just looking at the first page of this thread where Paul said he thought that there was only one where factorial would be useful. Then of course we went ahead and used them in practically every answer. [Taunt]

*note* I do realize that Paul rather quickly retracted his statement, but it's still amusing to me.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If functions are allowed, we can define any function and use it. F'instance, I hereby define f(x) = x + 73. f(9) + 9 - 9 + 9 = 91. Tada. That could be done to generate any number by defining a function to fit. I'd avoid anything except the most basic operations (preferably as defined by the teacher), though those are (theoretically) reducible to permutations of set theory and could also be thought of as functions on sets.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
y'all really need to go join a math team!
*amazed wonder*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I missed the whole thing! We need some sort of math geek alert network, so this doesn't happen again! Next time something fun like this is going on, somebody please call me! How did I miss this? [Cry]

wieczorek, tell us what the teacher says. Was she impressed? Did she have any idea what sort of talent she was dealing with? Is hatrack uber cool or what? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, I will never forget what you said in that last post. I will remember always. [Wink]

I didn't have math today, but I have it tomorrow. She would be crazy not to realize that hatrack is..."uber cool". [Smile]

I stopped to ask her if I could use gamma, and she said, "Well, how would it help you?" as if she didn't think it would be helpful...hmmm...Well, I'll show her in class tomorrow. [Big Grin] Thanks

Problem of the Day
Prove that four is half of nine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
That one's easy enough to do in binary, assuming you are working with fixed-point numbers.

[ October 01, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Actually, the answer (I had in mind) has nothing to do with binary numbers, but I suppose you could... [Dont Know]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

okay, I'll accept the answer any time after this post... j/k [Smile]

I have a question about gamma. I know the formula to find it but I'm not sure I understand it exactly...if you have an equation with gamma in it, how do you solve it? With my knowledge on the topic, gamma is only a mathematical term that happened to be borrowed from the greek language. I have no idea how to go about solving an equation with gamma...please help?

For example - let's say you have this equation:
9(√9)!-√9-gamma(√9). The answer is 49. But how do you achieve this answer? What are the steps you take to solve an equation with gamma in it?

[ October 01, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say it falls in the M in PEDMAS. Since it is essentially a multiplication function. Or you could say it is the first thing you do, because since it's a function, there's no way to get parentheses inside it to make it funky. Or you could consider it to have it's own set of parentheses around the multiplicative terms.
[Roll Eyes] *seventeen different ways of saying the same thing?*

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
::pop, pop, sizzle::

Yaeh taht was my haed epxoldnig. Smoe mninds are not mdae for mtah.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Camper, I suppose you could say it in an infinite number of ways, if you know what I mean. [Wink]

Ryan, this reminds me of the "4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions" poster. But then again, there's probably a poster that says, "Gamma out of Pi people have trouble with calculus since they are not yet taking it as a course". [Big Grin]

wieczorek
Member # 5565

In case anyone who contributed to this thread would like to know: My 4-nines project is being finalized and I am handing it in tomorrow. We'll see what my teacher thinks. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.