FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » E-mail, AIM, am I wrong here?

Author Topic: E-mail, AIM, am I wrong here?
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't like people reading over my shoulder when I am righting, even if that person is the intended audience, or is supposed to evaluate what I'm writing when I'm done so this may just be me, but....

I find it really irritating when people read emails of mine, that I am writing, have written or have received. And feel the same way about AIM conversations, and even some posts on hatrack (at least while I amstill writing them). I know the post thing is weird, especially since the people reading them over my shoulder are my family members, and most of the people reading them here are basically strangers, but then that is part of what makes some posts easier to write, you don't want people you know to know you are depressed, but you want to say it. Or maybe it is just that you don't usually admit to liking that show or movie.

Still the main things are email and AIM, multiple, members of my family tend to read what I am writing or have written as if it were sent to them directly. I don't fault my parents as much when they do it, because they are not very used to email and the only thing they know about AIM seems to be that I am on AIM alot, but I think my siblings should know better, and should realize that they shouldn't be reading my person to person messages without my permission. I don't know if there are any laws about email, and instant messages, much less hat those laws would be, but it is just annoying. I simply feel like it is the same as listening in on the other phone extension, am I way out of line? should anyone who happens to be in the same room as me, or anyone who can open the files saved on my computer be able to read whatever they can see?

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I know they mean no harm by it usually but it just strikes me as nosey and kind of an invassion of privacy.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just encrypt the e-mails. It won't stop looking over shoulders but it will prevent snooping when you are not there. There are plenty of free encryption programs out there you could download. Or get a free online e-mail account and protect the password. I use myway.com because it's free without pop-ups or any advertising. Then the files are not on the computer except when you are reading them.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I generally don't like people reading over my shoulder when I am righting
Now, see, I generally don't like people breathing down my neck when I am wronging. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

And see, I don't mind that you know I misspelled that because you don't know who the idiot that can't spell write, in a post about writing is.
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I generally don't like people breathing down my neck when I am wronging.
The things I could do with that comment. But, alas, I fear they all could be misinterpreted as something that breaks a few rules of conduct.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to bring that up Kayla, but then I realizied, what right did I have to point that out? [Embarrassed]

I hate it when people read what I'm typing, because then I always feel like I have to write to please them instead of what I want. I don't know why either, since I'm about to show it to a whole bunch of people. Maybe it's because A friend of mine always used to correct my spelling mistakes while I was writting, which got very annoying. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness Hobbes, you are so cute.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, you spelled it correctly. It's just the wrong word. But, one that sounds exactly like the one you wanted. So, the spell checker doesn't pick it up and as you reread it, it is saying exactly what you wanted it to say.

I'm waiting for that really cool computer the Enterprise has. Man, I want that computer. I'd never leave my quarters. I'd spend all day looking up stupid stuff.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

*Preens* [Embarrassed] Why thank you Kat, but what brought this on?

Kat: [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Hobbes, [Frown]

I was only teasing. And I wasn't even teasing you.

I think people, like cars, should come equipped with a shoulder (hood) cannon. That way, when people annoy you, you could just. . . well, you get the point.

Or, you could stop typing and turn around and stare at them till the get the point.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Hobbes, it was probably your obvious use of the word typing instead of writing, which you then went on to use anyway (and, of course, misspell.)

[Razz]

[Edit: There, now I'm teasing you.]

[ October 02, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I did? Ohh, I did. [Embarrassed] Actually, I mean getting spelling corrections while I'm writing, not spelling corrections afterwards. When you're trying to concentrate on what to say and someone points out you left out an 'i' or something it can really be a Captain Bring-Downer.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 02, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Marek
Member # 5404

quote:
Just encrypt the e-mails. It won't stop looking over shoulders but it will prevent snooping when you are not there.
-Morbo

Thanks for the suggestion, but the main problem is looking over my shoulder, I hope most of my family members would be so nosey as to read files saved to my computer. If they do that, I was unaware, I know I mentioned it but I think they stopped doing that a long time ago, but I'm not sure.

It is just that most of them seem to feel that if something is open on the computer, even if it is minimized and I am out of the room for a minute, that they are welcome to read it. When I write in a library or computer lab everyone seems to get that the shouldn't read your screen, it isn't that anything on it is wrong, just personal, or not for them.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Have you talked to them about this? Maybe they really just don't realize that you think it's an invasion of your privacy.

Hobbes [Smile]

Marek
Member # 5404

Actually I haven't talked to them about it, I usually either just minimize what I'm writing and sit there doing nothing till they get the point, or if I don't feel like waiting I do what Kayla said and stop writing and turn around and stare at them until they get the point.

[ October 02, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well, if you don't want to talk to them directly, you could type in little messages, leave the room, and then if they find them they'll hopefully get the point, and if they don't, than you didn't need to. That's what I would do, but then again, I'm a complete coward...

Hobbes [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all too nice.

Here's what you type, as your family looks on:

"omigod! I forgot 2 tell u! Jason lost the keys 2 the handcufs & so we had to ask Lisa to come over with her blowtorch, & she was so strung out from all the crack that she nearly burnt my fingers off 1st time, but she gave me a dime 2 apolagize. had 2 throw away about half of it when the cops pulld us over on the highway we were driving in the wrong lane bcus Sara thot it was funny 2 watch the other cars get out of the way. so i still got about half a dime left and was wondering if u wanted 2 hook up some time."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Laugh] [ROFL]

Hobbes [Smile]

Marek
Member # 5404

[ROFL] that is great Tom, I might go for a little more beleivable and just type, "dude how is your supply? I need a fix bad, I'm starting to get paranoid, I keep thinking some one is reading everything I write"

They just wouldn't beleive the other story, Lisa is way too good with the blow torch, and I don't why Jason would even have the keys to my hand cuffs, I never lend mine to people.

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like people looking over my shoulders as I type, because until I hit "add reply" or "send" my masterwork is not complete.

Anything after that is fair game, from now until time immoriam. I fully intend to buy the DVD archive of the Ars OpenForum and other places to which I've contributed heavily once they're available. In the meantime, significant posts go on my website, personal expression (emails and IM) is saved, and other written output (frame 1st grade spelling sentences to senior theses) is archived. My biographer will thank me. In the meantime I'll continue my crusade to convince others that transparent communication is paramount [Smile]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are y'all typing that people are looking over your shoulder? That's not just annoying; that's creepy!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks over Kat's shoulder*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right, Marek and are absolutely entitled to your privacy. I can understand that your parents will want to know what web sites you visit, especially if you are a minor, but beyond that, you have a right to your own thoughts. I would ask them (sibs included) to honor your privacy, and if they don't get it after you've politely asked, then ask them if they would mind your eavesdropping on their private correspondence (or phone calls) [I'm assuming that your parents are reasonable adults [Wink] and your sibs are kewl [Wink] ].
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.