FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the school of ROCK

Author Topic: the school of ROCK
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i saw this movie this afternoon.
i loved it!

i was pretty neutral about jack black before seeing the movie, but i thought he was absolutely hilarious!
if you don't like him, though, you will hate the flic since he is on screen more or less the whole time.
i really like the way he interacted with the kids, and there were touching moments without it being saccharine.

it's rated pg-13, but its still okay for your kids, at least eight years and older, in my opinion. there are just a couple "ass" and "damn"'s, but only a couple. there is also a drug reference or two, but not in any sort of encouraging context.
it had some good lessons and some great music.
anywho, i really liked it, and i laughed during the opening scene all the way into the closing credits.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i also wanted to add that one of the reasons i really enjoyed the film was the fact that my parents raised my brothers and me on really good music: david bowie, pink floyd, motown, etc. they also let us explore our own musical tastes and endorses musical and performing endeavors, even if it was just dancing like michael jackson in "billie jean" on the living room couch!
i like the idea of exposing future generations to great music from all ages, and i loved the way each child in the class was given a mission and made to feel important.
[Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
For another tale of belief in oneself, though on the opposite end of the age spectrum, try Bubba Hotep.
Admittedly I'm a Bruce Campbell fan, but this is totally over the top.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm SO seeing that movie. Tenacious D is HIL-arious. And Jack Black... Funny.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds intriguing. I'll have to look it up. Thanks!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

bump for the at-work-only crowd.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Good good good good movie. First comedy I've seen in a while that was seriously funny the whole darn time. And during the credits, when they demonstrate that these kids really can play their own instruments ... It was cool [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoyed this movie. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it with the wife, and we loved it. Maybe now she'll forgive me for dragging her to see Kill Bill. I've seen a lot of movies with really funny people that have been ruined by a bad script. This script was some of the most solid comedy writing I've seen in a good long time, and it was the role Jack Black was born to play. I can't recommend it highly enough.

It also helps that I grew up on all that music. I even own all the albums that he handed out for homework. I recognized all the album covers when he was shuffling through them, and when he told the kids which parts to listen for (the keyboard solo on "Roundabout", the vocal solo on "Great Gig In the Sky", etc.), I could hear them playing in my head. A great movie written by someone with great taste in music. What more could you want?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

One other comment. I think sometimes I pay too much attention to actors in supporting roles, but I loved the guy who played his roommate. I have never heard of that dude before, but I can't imagine anyone being better for the part he played. I hope he's in more stuff.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I had written this movie off. Now it seems I'll need to consider it again. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike Jack Black but the movie looks neat.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The new "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" column is out at rhinotimes.com. Looks like he's keeping a pretty high average up of hating everything I like, and absolutely loving everything I hate. I have to admit, I didn't much care for the "Fancypants" character (although my wife loved him), but otherwise, I think we must have seen two different movies.

I'm still waiting for his rave review of "Gigli".

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.