FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stupid teen movies

Author Topic: Stupid teen movies
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the "Throw movie suggestions at me" and it inspired to me write this thread. I have a dilemma. My girlfriend and I enjoy seeing movies together. She always wants to see the "Jeepers Creepers" and the "Sorority Boys" type movies. She also likes movies like "The Animal" which I didn't think was that bad, but I still felt it was a waste of money for two $9.75 tickets. [Mad]

She says I have picky taste. I HATE those kind of movies, and she can tell when I liked it at the end. She says I should expand my horizons when I simply feel that SHE needs to expand hers. What should I do in this situation? Am I picky for not liking stupid teen movies?

Does anybody else have a significant other tell them they have no taste in movies?

[Dont Know] [Confused]

[Wall Bash]

[ October 05, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. She tells you that you have no taste in movies?! [Eek!]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
Dump her and get an inflateable woman, they're low- maintenance. [Smile]
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yeah, she gets frustrated becuase she says I'm too picky. If I said: "Maybe you only like stupid teen movies that I hate. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe YOU'RE picky!" I would suffer a wrath too great and terrible to imagine.

[Grumble]

[ October 05, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

DID I JUST SAY THAT?
I disgust myself sometimes.

Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
quote:
Dump her and get an inflateable woman, they're low- maintenance.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I've been dating her for three years. "I'm sorry honey, I hate your taste in movies, it's over." I don't think so. [No No]

ikantspel
Member # 5752

Well then don't dump her, but still buy the inflateable woman.
Oh crap! I did it again. [Wall Bash]

Nick
Member # 4311

ikantspel, why don't you buy YOURSELF an inflatable woman. [ROFL]
ikantspel
Member # 5752

*Goes to store, buys inflateable woman*
I'm disappointed, I want my money back.
(and you thought I wouldn't do it) [Laugh]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Compromise is key in relationships. I have been married to a person for ten years, and this man actually *purchased* American Pie I & II on DVD.

***shudder***

I laughed the first time I saw those movies, when we rented them, but really didn't see the need to *purchase* them. Whatever.

Back to compromise: I suggest you work out a system of chosing movies, taking turns. That's going to work, and you can't groan about it or be snotty. One week you choose, one week she chooses. Period. Just be glad you get to get out of the house. (Being a parent is hard, and don't ever take your four-year-old to see "Planet of the Apes", it didn't scar him for life or frighten him, but the other people watching the movie were very mad at us [Blushing] )

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yes, well, I like movies like The Matrix and Lord of the Rings. I also like Gladiator and Beautiful Mind, One flew over the cookoo's nest. Those kind of movies. All kinds really. I even didn't mind the Wedding Planner to totally honest. I'm pretty open. [Grumble]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized I'm way too nice to my boyfriend. [Wink]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

There is one movie that had good reviews that I thought was horrible though. About Schmidt. Boring, drawn out, and.... boring. [Wink]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I picky for not liking stupid teen movies?
It depends...if by "stupid teen movies," you mean like Dumb and Dumber, you are wrong, she is right, and you should smitten with something big and pointy. If you mean American Pie-esque, than you are right and she should be dumped immediately. If it falls somewhere in between, I'd say flip a coin.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And I was just wondering whether I was too picky in wanted a boyfriend who only watched foreign films...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick my boy, paying to go see crappy movies that you hate is what the male's job is in a relationship. That and killing bugs. Sorry buddy, we're all in the same boat. At least she's forcing Sorority boys down your throat instead of The Crying Game or making you watch an entire season of Any Day Now or something like the rest of us. Chick flicks, you know what im saying here.
It's cool man, eventually, your very brain matter will go numb and youll be able to endure any drivel without passion or prejudice simply because youll have resigned yourself to the hopelessness of toiling against this role. Remember Nick: Crappy movies. Money out of your pocket. Killing bugs. Rememebr that, and you're Home free. Oh and dont say 'yes dear' when you mean 'please shut it'. They can tell.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How is the Crying Game a chick flick? [Confused]
If y ou hate her taste in movies it is up to you to show her the other side... Surprise her with things you consider classics.
What sort of movies do you like and consider classics?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

List of classics:
1. Star Wars
2. One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest
3. Tommy Boy
4. A Beautiful Mind
5. Sleeping in Seattle was pretty good (Not that you've got mail crap).
6. U-571
Those are my choices for classics, but my tasted definitetly not limited to those kinds of movies. I just can't stand stupid teen movies like Scary Movie, Jeeper's Creepers, Final Destination, ect... ect...

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
While my boyfriend and I don't have movie issues, we (sometimes) have book ones..

He loves the boy-type books that concern submarines / naval intelligence / WWII... I didn't mind the first few I read but after a while they just seem all the same...

So it's not just girls with questionable taste [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, Christy and I are lucky: every now and then, we like to see the same movie.

That said, I've sat through movies I did not love for her, and she's sat through more than a handful she hated for me.

But don't feel like you HAVE to bring your girlfriend to the movies. Go to the movies with your OTHER friends, the ones who like the movies you like, let her go to the movies with HER friends, and do stuff you both enjoy when you're together.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think stupid teen movies are better rented then seen in the movie theatre. I would never have paid 8 bucks to see Bring It On but I found it quite enjoyable in the comfort of my living room. Try to strike a compromise. Pay the bucks to see the oscar-worthy special effects and cinematics in the movie theatre, and rent the teen flicks. Heck, even buying the dvd would be cheaper then paying twenty bucks for tickets.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So should I give up on indoctrinating future boyfriends by making them watch the entire BBC Pride & Prejudice? [Wink]

"I bet you read that every year. I bet you just love that... Mr. Darcy."

[ October 06, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.