Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Voting

Author Topic: Voting
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people here seem to be fairly active citizens. I do not vote myself. I cannot decide if I think it is right or not, and whether it is ok or not morally I feel the effect to be not worth the effort. On the other hand, I am also lazy, and I am not sure how much of my reason is really just laziness. Are there others here like me, semi-interested in politics but not enough to vote? Are there those who do not vote for other reasons?

Or you could just tell me why it is my civic duty to vote. [Smile]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it is true that one vote doesn't really mean anything (questionable) or that the process is rigged (who knows - some elections in some jurisdictions might be) or that once elected officials get into office they do what they want no matter what the wishes of their constituents (depends on the official and the situation, I think), you should still vote.

If you don't vote, you haven't registered your opinion in the venue that is officially available. You haven't participated in the process and so don't have any right to complain about the process. If you vote, on the other hand, you have done what you can to make the process work - even if doesn't always - and so have a right to complain when things don't go the way you want them to.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't vote in the last presidential election, since it was pretty much guaranteed that Gore would win NY, so my vote wouldn't have helped any. If I lived in Florida on the other hand...

Anyway, I WILL be voting in the next presidential election, whatever state I live in.

As for local and state elections, I think I mostly don't vote because I don't feel like I'm informed enough, nor do I really care enough. Who my local comptroller is really doesn't make much of a difference I feel. Maybe thats wrong, but then again I don't plan on staying in this area anyway.

I personally feel that its worse to be an ignorant voter that someone who doesn't vote at all. Voting for a canidate because you like his name better, or that one of em has a better look is doing more harm than good.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Heard that one, disagree on two accounts. First, I am not sure, but I may well put a bit more thought into the matter and conclude that I believe it to be morally wrong. Second, if none of the options are what I want, why turn in an empty card? No one cares about empty cards; it just makes a miniscule effect of a fraction of a penny cost to them. Not worth the time.

If the process cannot work, why perform a futile act? And why should I not be allowed to complain about the process? People complain about abortion, homosexuality, and drugs all the time, just to name a few, even though most who complain do not participate.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i disagree with the 'you can't complaing unless you vote' argument as well, by that logic, you only have the right to complain about the people you voted AGAINST, as though the whole of public political discussion was nothing but people pointing fingers and saying 'i told you so'. i like to think that political discourse is a bit more significant than that.

and you're right, if you don't like any of the options, why should you go endorsing things you don't agree with?

most importantly, will someone please explaing this;
quote:
Even if it is true that one vote doesn't really mean anything (questionable) or that the process is rigged (who knows - some elections in some jurisdictions might be) or that once elected officials get into office they do what they want no matter what the wishes of their constituents (depends on the official and the situation, I think), you should still vote.

why? i'm sorry but you've given a big long list of why i should NOT vote, and simply resorted to some concept of complaining contract to try to support your point.

if you want to influence politics in the country, if you want to "register your opinion", there's a very simple (and just as "officially available") method; go to college, get a degree in law or business or something, find yourself a really high paying job, and contribute a few million to the campaign of your favorite candidate. elections aren't won by people going out and casting ballots, they're won by raising the most money. how else do you think a moron like Bush could have gotten himself into office.

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Danzig, look at it this way: if the casual drug users never vote, casual drugs will never be legalized. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Yes, but there are so many of us denied franchise anyway that it hardly seems worth it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I look at it is this: voting gives you the right to complain about the government. If you choose not to vote, you don't get to whine about our leadership. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
If you never vote then you have no room to complain. If you do not vote for a particular issue or race, then you can complain.

If you do not vote for an issue or race because you feel you do not have enough info to make an informed choice that is fine with me. However, to not make an effort to get informed is laziness on your part. The local issues are the ones that are more likely to affect you in your day to day life.

So using any excuse to never vote is laziness. Not voting on a particular issue or race can be responsible.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a bit about hypocrisy. If you don't vote, but complain, then you are doing nothing to change the order in the direction you want it. It's a case of putting your money where your mouth is.

If there's no one on a ballot that you want to vote for, pick the one that leads in your general direction. Start the pendulum swaying that way, change is generally slow, but never happens if no one puts their shoulders to the wheel.

Sure, it's only one vote, but that's how much everyone else has. If you don't think your vote matters and therefore don't cast it, you're giving two votes to those who oppose what you believe in. The person on the other side of the fence will cast theirs (that's one) and then your's isn't cast on the other side (there's the other).

But hey, it's a participatory government. The only way to make sure it never works in your favor is to never cast a vote and leave everything up to those who will vote.

Low voter turnouts in recent decades have made for two political parties that don't have to work very hard. Both have their core supporters and pretty much a set percentage of the vote. They only bicker over the small number of actual voters who could swing one way or the other. What swings those voters? Generally the same old "family values, more jobs, lower taxes" promises. One party wins and the status quo pretty much stays the same.

Think about this, it's been a loooong time since anyone ran on and won with a Good Big idea. Roosevelt ran on the New Deal, Johnson on the Great Society. Since then, it's been small ideas and little major real change for the better.

There are candidates and ideas out there that will suit what you want and need from your country. Search them out, do some homework, and vote with your ballot and your support. You might not be on the winning side this time, but maybe you will be the next, or the time after that.

Your vote is the only time you can say your piece and make sure that you have the same shot as anyone else to be heard. To give that chance up, is a loss to yourself and your fellow citizens.

And there's always the last step. Run for office yourself. Break the mold of the current politician, present your ideas and work for the changes you believe in. Someone's gotta do it someday.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.