FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100% Effective Male Contraceptive

Author Topic: 100% Effective Male Contraceptive
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The study is small enough--just 55 subjects--that I don't think that their claim of 100% effectiveness will necessarily hold up, but this is still pretty interesting.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!

Here's another method that got press recently:

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16617

quote:
RISUG works by an injection into the vas, the vessel that serves as the exit ramp for sperm. The injection coats the vas with a clear polymer gel that has a negative and positive electric charge. Sperm cells also have a charge, so the differential charge from the gel ruptures the cell membrane as it passes through the vas, stopping the sperm in their tracks before they can even start their journey to the egg. RISUG doesn't affect the surrounding tissues because they have no charge....

It's long-lasting. According to Guha, a single injection can be effective for at least 10 years.

After testing RISUG on more than 250 volunteers, neither Guha nor other researchers in the field have found side effects more worrisome than a slight scrotal swelling in some men immediately following the injection. This swelling goes away after a few weeks. Compare that to the Pill, which even today can cause health problems ranging from severe migraines to blood clots.

It works. Of all the men who've had the RISUG injection (and 15 of the 250 had it more than 10 years ago), there has been only one unplanned pregnancy among their partners -- and in that instance, the injection wasn't administered properly.

Best of all, the contraceptive appears to be reversible with another injection. To date, reversing the procedure has been tried only on non-human primates, but among them, it's been reversed successfully multiple times....

If RISUG's current stage of clinical testing goes well, it will be on the market in India by next year. Within a few more years, if all proceeds as planned, the injection to reverse it will also be on the market....

Weiss thinks RISUG is preferable. "The only people who should be excited about the male Pill are pharmaceutical companies," he said. He believes so much money has been poured into researching the Pill because pharmaceutical companies want something consumers will have to buy again and again -- as opposed to an inexpensive, one-time injection. In the U.S., a 10-year supply of the female Pill costs about $3,600. RISUG would be dramatically less expensive, while pharmaceutical companies would have to pay $25 million to $40 million to bring it to market.

[ October 06, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've read about that one plaid. I'd rather have that one than the other, personally. I'm going to wait until either method has been on the market for a few years before I bite though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Normally I'm into waiting before trying something new... but since when it comes to contraceptives my sweetie is the one who has to take the risks, I wouldn't mind taking a turn with the health risks...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to talk to some of those 55 guys' partners and see if they noticed any mood swings or performance problems before I'd recommend it to anyone....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, condoms are always an option while you're waiting for the general public to act as a guniea pig with these new treatments (although the one you link to seems like it would be pretty safe, I'm a bit leery of the hormone meddling method I linked to).
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but condoms suck.

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome at what they do, and I think people who are not in long-term monogomous relationships should use them even if their partners are on the pill, but they still suck.

I would jump at the chance to take responcibility for birth control, especially if the method did not remove half the feeling like condoms do. I think something like this along with the female shot or pill would be like 99.9999999% effective. That said, I would much rather have it be in pill form, and its also somewhat scary to take anything which completely shuts down your testosterone production. They say no side effects occured, but I definitly would prefer more testing.

Of course by the time this gets approved by the FDA I hope to be at the point in my life where I'm having children...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
100% Effective Male Contraceptive
Hey, that rhymes.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
100% Effective Male Contraceptive
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahaha, whatever I was expecting out of that link, it wasn't that!
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
ae,

wasn't that device and procedure patented by Lorena Bobbit?

[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

(sings)

I'll sing you all a song about a wondrous new device
The nation's latest contraceptive plan
That funny little object they call the IUD
Has recently been changed to fit a man

It's the IPD, the IPD
It may not feel to good to you but it's not hurting me
So every time the pain begins to fill your eyes with tears,
Remember I put up with it for years!

[Smile]

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Pointing and laughing works too.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
IPD, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*dies*
Thank you.

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.